Highly Recommend LASIK, Amazing Experience - St. John's, Canada

I intend to go into astronomy, and as a physics...

I intend to go into astronomy, and as a physics major spend a lot of time in front of computers. Glasses are a hinderance, often get fogged up (it's Canada, it gets cold), and are generally smudged even if I remember to clean them regularly. Everyone who I mentioned I was thinking about LASIK would tell me to just do it, it's amazing.

During my (free) consultation I was told I had larger than average pupils, so it was highly recommended that I go with the advanced waveform procedure to reduce my risk of halos and star bursts. The cost was a bit scary, but even if I didn't have my parents offer to pay I would have been able to afford it with their great financing plan.

So, on November 5th I went under the laser! I was at the clinic for about 5 hours, as they told me I would be. The waiting area was very comfortable, with BBC Earth playing on the TVs. Someone came out to tell me what each step would entail and how the rest of the day would progress. This was very helpful in easing my mind about what was to come. At each step I was asked if I had any questions, and they were very transparent about the risks and the odds of them.

While waiting (most of the 5 hours is spent doing this) there were cookies to snack on, water, tea, or coffee to drink, and every so often the receptionist would come around and make sure we were comfortable. They also offer free wireless, so was able to update my facebook and twitter as the afternoon progressed. All the workers seemed genuinely happy, which went a long way in helping me feel relaxed.

The procedure itself only took about 10 or 15 minutes. The doctor was amazing, taking me step by step through what he was going to do. During the entire procedure he kept talking, telling me I was doing great, to keep relaxed just as I was. It did eventually take on the quality of Charlie Brown's teacher, but it was very comforting to hear him while I couldn't see. There was no pain as such, but parts were fairly uncomfortable. I appreciated how they kept the instruments that kept my eyes open out of view, I was able to just pretend it wasn't happening since I couldn't really feel it anyway. It was over quickly, and still no major pain. Just a twinge while blinking.

The rest of the evening my eyes were somewhat itchy, and the eye drops were kind of annoying but over all it was easy! The next day I was way better, and already I could see with almost no blurriness. At my follow up the tech told me that I can expect some residual dryness which is what is causing the bit of blurriness. However! Even though it takes a few days for your eyes to reach their maximum, I can already see 20/15! There is a little bit of bruising around one of my eye lids which is normal, and some redness in the whites of my eye which while looking alarming isn't bothering me at all.

I couldn't be happier with how it went and the outcome! HIGHLY recommend this for anyone who can get it!

LASIK MD

I was so well taken care of and everyone was super helpful. I can't recommend them highly enough!

Thanks Jen for the update.

Thanks for the reminder!

I had my 3 month check up and everything is perfect! 20/15 vision, better than average =D

I do have some dryness still, and occasionally have to use normal eye drops in the mornings especially if I was wearing make up. I was told that this was normal for the first 6-12 months, and it's really not bothersome.

The fogging issue has gone away, and as far as I know I don't have any problems with star bursts. It's hard to judge as I wore glasses all my life, which also lends itself to a certain amount to staring, but its less than that for sure!

I've also had no issues with night vision, my eyes seem to be reactive as ever!
Hi JentheGeek, your 3 month mar is almost up! waiting four your results!

keep us posted :)
Thought I'd update! 2 weeks post op and I'm just using the non-prescription drops a couple of times a day.

My follow up appointment on Monday (you see someone 1 day, 1 week, three months, and then yearly from then on out) was great, still a little dryness but I'm healing way ahead of schedule. Confirmed that I am 20/15! I'll get my finalized number at the 3 month mark which I can take to the DMV to get the glasses restriction taken off my license!

I'm still noticing a little bit of fogging around very bright lights, but not enough to affect my vision. Since I still have some dryness and it's less every night I expect it to be gone by the time I hit 3 months (where things should be settled)

Thanks for the thorough update Jen. Glad everything worked out so well.

-Britt

It's normal apparently after the procedure. My right eye had a somewhat higher prescription, so I expected it to be more bothersome heh. It's because the flap dries out easier while it is healing.

Last night the itchy feeling went away entirely, the brusing on my eyelid is gone, and the red spots in my in the white of my eye is fading quickly.

Well that makes sense. Thanks for updating the community. Please continue to stay an active member as your info will be very useful to others.

Thanks,

-Britt

I did! My left eye is great, no dryness or anything. My right eye kind of feels like I have a dirty contact in, but my vision is PERFECT. It's so weird waking up and being able to read the clock!

Hi Jen,

I thought we chatted on twitter, thanks for posting a review from our twitter conversation. :)  I'm glad your vision is perfect, but do they know why your right eye feels like that? Please keep me updated.

Thanks,

Hi Jen,

Didn't you talk to RealSelf on twitter when you were doing this? I kind of remember your twitter handle. Thanks for the review it is really detailed and I enjoyed the part about the cookies. ;) How are you doing today? I heard you can see perfectly after one nights sleep. Thanks for posting and please continue to be an active part of the community. Please keep us updated.