Dr. Wheeler's Work Speaks for Itself! - Spokane, WA

I was searching for a way to minimize or even...

I was searching for a way to minimize or even possibly eleminate my chances from falling into my mothers footsteps, by not becoming another statistic. Not becoming another woman to battle for her life with breast cancer. I opted for a BPM. On September 27,2011 I went in for surgery to make this possible.This surgery was almost 6 hours long. I elected to do immediate reconstruction. This process by no means has been glamourous, but it's been worth it. I am going to briefly explain the process I have experienced for myself.

After the initial mastectomy, I went through 3 months of expansions with my expanders. I've heard a lot of people are discomforted by this transition, however, for myself, it wasnt that painful. Looking back, this would become the easiest process for myself. At each filling I went between 100cc's - 150cc's. I would always be so excited to see each step, that would slowly show my progression.
In early January, I was schedule for my replacement surgery. This surgery I have anticipated the most. I opted for a high profile implants (silicone), as I wanted a look that reflected what my expanders did, as well as the projection. Don't get me wrong, as I was very excited to get my implants in, I was even more excited to get the HARD expanders out. They were extremely uncomfortable. I don't think anyone can quite prepare for that part. After that surgery, I felt even closer & I absolutely loved my breast. It was a much more natural look & feel. I am so thankful I decided to part ways with the expanders.

3 months later, here I am. I recently, about a week ago went through my final stage. This surgery was very bittersweet for me. I had my nipples restructured as well as fat graphing. The nipples are stanard if you choose not to go with a nipple sparring mastectomy. They turned out perfect! I went a little smaller than normal just because after 2 babies, I have had my feel for huge nipples. :) This is the beauty with this stage, you are able to create exactly what you want. If you want big nipples, or small, it's simply at your discretion. The fat graphing was just a perk.

However, this is why Dr. Wheeler is highly recommended. He saw a slight imperfection with my skin, as it had shown a little rippling from my implants. Thats where the fat graphing would become necessary. He injected my own fat into the top of my breast, so there would be a thicker amount between my skin & implant. It looks amazing. I'm not going to sugar coat anything, this surgery was painful. Just the fat graphing alone. The breast was very minimal pain. The only pain was from the injection sites. The next step will be the areola tattoos! My journey will finally be complete.

Given this amazing opportunity, I know it would not be possible without my amazing team, & my Doctor. Like I have said from the start, I will forever be in debt to them. I feel like I was given a chance to become a role model to many women out there. If there is one piece of advice I can offer, that is to stay with good thoughts. Just know that there are strong support networks out there, that women from all over the world, have created on our behalf.

I just knew if I was going to get tested, I needed to have a plan. I researched all avenues, however I kept going back to this (mastectomy). I had a mammogram prior to my surgery & the Doctor had me retest, as he thought he may have detected something. I laid there & thought, if everything were to come out fine, I would go ahead and have the procedure done. I just wasnt able to rest easy knowing, my life was in the hands of a machine.
My moms was in stage 2 & missed by a mammogram. So just wanted to elaborate of the machine aspect :)

Thank you so much for sharing this. My mom was stage 2 also, but thankfully hers was picked up by the mammogram. I'm sorry your Mom's wasn't. Watching your mom go through it all really does have a huge impact, doesn't it?!

Please continue to keep us updated on how you are, and how everything feels to you. I'd love to continue to hear your story. :)

Spokane Plastic Surgeon

One might say 24 years old is young.  For myself, being 24 years old with a family, 2 kids and a husband, has been a true blessing.  At the age of 24, I made one of the biggest decisions of my life. That was opting for a bilateral prophylactic double mastectomy.  I was hereditarily given the BRCA 1 genetic gene mutation, with a much higher risk of getting breast cancer. I therefore,  had a consultation with Dr. Chad Wheeler of Plastic Surgery Northwest. Dr. Wheeler was tasked with the assignment of rebuilding my breast, at least that was the initial assumption.  Dr Wheeler not only restructured my breast and increased my chances to continue life with family and friends, but he has given me a sense of hope.  He gave me the confidence I will be around to raise my children, and the pleasure of knowing I can still turn my husband's head when I walk by. I had very high standards coming into this process, but I quickly learned those high standards, were his specialty. Dr. wheeler, has an eye of a true artist, a meticulous artist at that. He went above & beyond what I ever had expected. So anyone who's in a situation where a mastectomy may become an option, this is one Doctor to seek out. You will not be disappointed. His work speaks volumes & I know without a doubt, he was meant to be the Doctor to give me something to be proud & confident about.