What It Was Like Afterwards - South Florida

It's been about two weeks after my upper eyelid...

It's been about two weeks after my upper eyelid surgery. I waited for several years before I made the decision. All the Doctors I interviewed wanted to do it in a surgical center under general anesthesia. I was very nervous about the anesthesia. Finally I was referred to a PS in my town. I interviewed him and he said it was such an easy procedure he would do it in his office with local anesthesia. I checked him out with my state records and he had good grades.So on the day of surgery I took a valium .( I was supposed to also take a pain pill but I didn't) and he deadened the skin and an hour later I was done.I felt no pain, just some pulling and tugging. As soon as the local wore off I felt burning! I wish now I had taken the pain pill. So when I got home I took the pain pill and put frozen peas on my lids. I took off work for a week and was glad I did. I was red and swollen all the way around my eyes. I had to keep the peas on my eyes off and on the whole time. My eyes were dry and tired and started to itch. The peas were essential!. I wasn't in anymore pain but I was uncomfortable for a good week. Even from the first and and every day afterwards I could tell I was going to like them. They were symmetrical and not overdone.Getting the stitches out was very painful and I wish I had taken a pain pill. Its over quick but still pretty rough. I had little bumps on my lids where the stitches were and that bothered me but they are gradually going away.

The doctor had been very conservative which is what I wanted. No one can tell they have been done but they feel and look better to me! My suggestions would be: take more time off of work than you think,( its still surgery), rest, get the pea,take the pain pills. I had expectations that it would be done and I would be just fine, no, it took more time and discomfort than I thought. I am really happy, are they absolutely perfect, no but they are just fine with me.

I was referred by a friend. Then I went to the state board web sight and checked to see if he had any disciplinary actions against him. I had two interviews with him.

Your results are unbelievable for ONLY two weeks out! I'm over a YEAR out, and mine are still so TIGHT , I can barely keep ONE contact in the right eye..my eyes are so crunchy and tight. Eyelids were so "short" couldn't close eyes for months and had to use copious amounts of VERY oily, under the counter drops so the PAIN didn't have me poking my eyeballs OUT. YOU are looking GREAT and one of the lucky ones who healed fast and the sutures out??? IF that is all the pain that you recall , you are truly blessed. I had so much pain every day for MONTHS ..just TRYING To keep my eyes open...as they were drying out due to not being able to CLOSE night OR day.for MONTHS.that another surgeonwas going to hve to suture them closed for a week or ten days...
groovy--you look really groovy!!!! nice work. like your eyes are still your eyes only younger and more wide open.
Hi Groovy, I love your results! I have upper bleph surgery scheduled in January (after postponing it several times). My lids do not hood over my creases yet but I do see excess skin when I squint. My PS says I can wait a few years if I want but I feel it's all about preventative maintenance. Did your PS remove fat as well as skin? I will only have a minimal amount of skin removed but I am still paranoid of looking "different". I don't even want to look "refreshed"...I want my lids, eyes and creases to look exactly the same minus the excess skin. My PS assures me that no one will be able to tell but I'm still worried. I'm keeping the surgery "under wrap". My PS also normally performs the surgery under local but I'm a needle phobe so I'm contemplating going under (would it be "twilight"?). May I ask how painful the shots were? It's hard to imagine being awake during the procedure too. Anyways, I'm so glad all went well with your surgery and again, your results look fantastic!
"My lids do not hood over my creases yet but I do see excess skin when I squint." I just wanted to respond to your comment. If you only see excess skin when you squint, then I would agree with your PS that you can wait awhile to have this surgery. It really is a big deal, and you can't keep having it every time you see excess skin. Of course it's up to you, but I would strongly encourage you to wait until you have actual droopiness. It's really NOT preventive maintenance! That's not how it is - you will continue to age, and if you do this too early, you may not be able to have successful surgery later when you really do have significantly drooping lids. I wish you the best!
Dear Asianaz...I have NEVER had visable "eyelids" and my grandmother and her sisters all had this one in their 50's-60s by INSURANCE as it WAS necessary to SEE! Please think about a "bad result" and find out HOW many bad results there are out here in the real world. What if you can't drive for 8-10 WEEKS and can't read or do anything on the computer? Will u still have a job? ASK for some "guarantee" that NO one will be able to "tell". They can ALL tell....any MD, eyedoctor...it's the NEW shape of the corner of your eye . I can say, I "look better" ..be SURE you see actual real, live patients in PERSON of this surgeon. MINE was in LA and was a hORROR. Occuplastic opthalmalogist an all that. HORRIBLE pain for months, eyes that didn't close for more than 7 months..YOU WILL look "different". oNE Of my eyes was WAY more open than the other. nOW after a year of ME constantly pulling on it and massaging it,,,its more like the other, but STILL..anyone in the industry can tell......yu dont need "general" ( And i get general for a TOOTH extraction)) they put u in this twighlight sleep and it was LIKE general, i didnt see, hear or remember A THING> shots painful??NO...NOTHING will be "exactly the same" and you MUST read all the blogs and postings of PEOPLE who have ruined their looks and some, their lives with this 45 minute "procedure". MAKE sure you go to that office and LOOK at some of the "healing " patients. TALK to them, wait for them outside and "see" how happy they are before yu do it. TIME WELL SPENT!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Cody21. Thanks so much for replying to my comments...I really do appreciate you taking the time. I am still on the fence on whether to do the surgery but your points are very valid. I know there are "horror stories" out there but likewise I've seen some great results where the change was virtually unnoticeable. Luckily I found a facial plastic surgeon who I trust implicitly. I almost wished I didn't trust him so much because then the decision would be easy. Like I said, he said I could wait a few years and that everything is "optional"...it's just a matter of how much it bothers me. I do have another consult appointment to show him more before and afters that I do NOT like. Unfortunately, finding even one extremely conservative upper bleph result is very difficult as most patients want to look younger or "refreshed"...I want neither! I thought I was a firm believer of "preventative maintenance" but not so sure now. I just want a few mm of ONLY skin removed...no fat. It sounds simple enough, doesn't it...or maybe not?? Again, my thought process was "maintenance, maintenance, maintenance". I'll keep you posted but regardless, thanks so much again for your reply!
Dear Problems...thank you so much for your comments. I am VERY sorry to hear all that you've been through. May I ask what your upper bleph entailed? (ie. were both skin and fat removed? Was it for aesthetic reasons or medically necessary?). I have spoken to my doctor's patients and have read every patients' reviews that I could find and his record is impeccable. Honestly, I couldn't find ONE negative comment about him...not one! I trust him implicitly as I've approached him with other "preventative maintenance" options/procedures to which he said was not necessary. I'm not definite I'm still going through with the surgery but luckily, I do have a little bit more time to think about it. I TRULY do appreciate you taking the time to express your opinions and concerns. I wish you all the best and hope your eyes continue to improve.
thanks,i did not have fat or muscle removed. i told my doctor i didnt want to look different or have a hollowed look so he suggested just the skin removal. the shots i didnt feel at all, butlike i said getting the sutures out was not pleasant.