Very Questionable Results. Does It Get Better? I Need Hope! South Carolina, SC

I am 55 and wanted a less tired look in my eyes....

I am 55 and wanted a less tired look in my eyes. They weren't bad to start with but at 55, I wanted to have something done before it got so bad that everyone would notice. I had upper and lower bleph with CO2 laser under my eyes. It has now been 6 weeks post-op and I think I made a mistake. The lower transjunctival with CO2 is great. It's still pink but smooth and I know the final results will be great. The uppers, however, are a different story. One eye is a different shape completely and smaller. It's very noticeable. The upper lids are still swollen and I have a terrible problem with dry, red eyes that I never had before. As long as I wear my glasses no one notices my eyes. It's a shame to have spent this kind of money only to try and stay hidden. Can I expect major changes after 6 weeks? Will the dry eyes go away eventually? Should my eyes be smaller after surgery?? I think I've made a mistake with upper lid surgery.

Update on Eye Surgery 7 Weeks Post-op

It's amazing how even a week makes a big difference with eye surgery. When I wrote my original post I was just at 6 weeks post-op and really thinking I had made a big mistake. I am now 7 weeks post-op and things are much better. I no longer have the dry issue at all. My eyes do look red quite a bit but Visine usually takes care of that. One of my eyes is still smaller than the other but other people wouldn't notice it as much as I do. Under my eyes is still pinkish but with make-up no one notices. The main concerns I have now is the smaller eye, new "crows foot," and bump at the outer end of my eye caused by the last stitch. I go in for my post-op check up on Sept. 2 and can't wait to see what the doctor says. I've been massaging the bump but no change.

What dr did you use in SC?
I don't want to say who the doctor is just yet. My eyes have actually gotten a lot better in just the past week. I don't have a problem with dry eyes anymore and the swelling has gone down a lot. What a difference a week can make with eye surgery! It'll be 7 weeks for me on August 18 so I know I'm in the early stages. Changes do happen every week, as I'm seeing, but I'm very impatient. The only thing I'm concerned about now is a bump at the end of the stitch line on one eye and a "crows foot" created from the stitches on both eyes. I'm hoping these two are temporary, too. Will keep you updated!
Happy to hear the good news. Don't worry about bumps I had them to and they just went on their own, took about 2 months but can take up to 6. The stitch line should go in time too and the crows foot part will also go when the scarring flattens out....fingers crossed but it all sounds good!
Can you send it to my private email? I really don't want to regret my choice.
Yes, but I'm actually pretty happy with it now. The little things will heal with time but it's definitely a surgery that will come with ups and downs, more so than I was aware of. What is your private address?
Missylatham@yahoo.com
Hi. I m 54. Had (like you) upper, lower and laser on April 4. Don't fuss until 3 months mark and even then it might take 6 months. Can you post pics ? I had a lot of ups and downs. They are great now and improving weekly. I'm sure yours will too ...just rest , eat well , exercise and try not to look too often. Dry eye will improve. If you are freaking ...post to Ask a doctor with pics. They will answer quickly and sensibly.
They have gotten much better over the past week. No dry eyes anymore. I'll be at 7 weeks on August 18 so I know there will constantly be changes. I'm much happier now. Thanks for the support! This is such a great forum. I would really have freaked out if I hadn't heard from people like you letting me know all of this is normal. The only thing I'm watching now is a bump at the end of a stitch on the outer eye. I've been massaging it but it hasn't gone away. Did you have that issue?
Yes I did. The bump was huge (in my opinion...haha). It hurt to massage it so I whined to my PS and he said it would go away by itself anyway ! I can still feel it ....it's really tiny now and quite invisible. He says it will go away and I believe him. I haven't got around to a 4 month post and pic. Will do soon. Essentially mine look great. They are not symmetrical but I don't care. I look 54 but wide awake. That is all I wanted! I don't want to look surgically enhanced. The right is still a little swollen underneath but only I feel it and the left still feels swollen in the morning if I pig out on salty chips and nuts the night before ! Salt is BAD! Check my photos for the bump.
No, I am still deciding if I want to get this procedure and live in Greenville....it does scare me seeing how long the recovery is for some people on here!
Your eyes look great! I know you're VERY happy with them. What a difference! I don't notice that they're not symmetrical. Mine aren't either but they are actually noticeable, I think. I'll try and upload some photos later this evening. I see the bump you're talking about but it's not very noticeable. I'm hoping time will take care of mine.
The recovery was definitely more to it than I expected. I'm in the school system and thought since I had 4 weeks that would be fine. It actually was but I hid behind glasses until 5-6 weeks. Once I hit the 6 week mark I was pretty much home free. No one will notice now.
If yours are really bad then it's worth it. Also if you are young. 3 to 6 months is the average for upper and lower together to be fully healed. ( Lower is more difficult. ). It's really a couple of weeks of looking crap and then for the remainder you feel worse than you look because you want perfection straight away. Are you thinking about having upper only?
I'm 43 and considering upper and lower eyelid surgery...
Be prepared for a longer recovery than you may anticipate especially with the upper lids. My uppers weren't that bad to start with and I really should have just stuck with the lowers but thought I'd get it all done at once since it would be less expensive that way as opposed to two separate surgeries. Overall, at the 7 week stage, I'm happy with the results but I think I will need a small revision on one eye. I'll find out for sure Sept. 2 when I go for my 2 month check up. This is not a surgery for the faint of heart!
OMG I am so sorry you're going through this. I too made the biggest mistake of my life getting my upper lids done last January. My beautiful eyes destroyed are smaller and I suffer from severe dry eyes. I am so unhappy. Can you share some photos?
I had the same problem about 3 years ago and ended up having a revision. You shouldn't have dry eyes 6 weeks out. The second time round I had mine done and I had no scars, no dry eyes and they healed in 3-4 weeks and looked great. They looked better after the first hour after surgery than they did before, which took 6 months. You should see your surgeon. If you decide to go again go to a board certified ocuplastic surgeon. I went to Kami Parsa in LA who was a genius at a revision. Upper eyelids should heal better than lower ones, still it is early days and you may see some changes in the coming months for the better. Laser tends to give people a lot more swelling (it did with me), than using the traditional knife method. At 6 -12 months you can think of a revision depending on how well you have healed. Good luck!
Thanks so much for your response. The lower lids are just fine, even after the laser. But the upper lids are quite the problem. Today seemed to be a good day with very little issue with the drying of the eye. It seems to come and go. I know I'm going to have to have a revision on one upper lid to make it the same shape as the other. Even the doctor made the comment when he saw me after two weeks. He said he would do it at no charge as he noticed the difference himself. I go back Sept. 2 for my 2 month check up. I don't anticipate the revision for about 6 months since there will still be swelling until then. Can I expect the same length of healing time as I did the first time around?
I healed quicker the second time around because the surgeon I used was more skillful. The upper lids tend to be less troublesome than the bottom ones, so that's at least a positive point. If you can have it re-done free of charge then great, just make sure he knows what went wrong and why before you dive in again. I totally understand the stress, it's so annoying. I waited 2 years before taking the plunge again I was so put off, totally worth it now though because they look great. The upper lids can easily be covered with make-up too. Do you have thick scars? The scarring may take longer to fade a second time round but again only you would notice it. Swelling is a pain, I stuck to a strict diet 4 weeks before and 4 weeks afterwards and sat up for 3 weeks after the surgery, all of this really helped the second time round.
Thanks for such excellent advice!
Hi there. At six weeks, you are still pretty early in the healing process. I had lots of changes up to 6 months. Now, I am at 8 months and still see some changes! I had problems with dry eyes too. A course of steroid drops helped a lot. I still use some allergy drops from time to time and warm compresses. Talk with your physician and see if he/she thinks this would help. Good luck and keep posting.
Thanks for the suggestion on steroid drops. I go for an appointment in two days about the dry eyes and will see if he suggests these. If not I may bring it up. I'm so disappointed to have these issues as I expected to be thrilled with the results. I should have gotten on this site beforehand and read the posts. It's very informative!