Dental Implants - Noise in Ears - South Africa, ZA

When I had my implants done I found the procedure...

When I had my implants done I found the procedure excruciating painful and I must mention my pain threshold is fairly high. I told the doctor it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. I went home had a good cry and slept for two days. When the medication had warn off I noticed a ringing in my ears that was not there before. It is very distracting and affects my quality of life. I went to see an Ears Specialist to have my hearing tested and the results showed nothing wrong.
With the check-up at the dentist I mentioned to him about the ringing/buzzing noise in my ear that started with the implants. He was very defensive and dismissive and said it was all in my mind and that I had to go see a Neurologist about it.
Could a nerve have been pinched or twisted when the dental implants were done?
Would like to get your opinion.

Dr. Bry

I am going through the same thing. I had dental implants put in October 30, 2013 and shortly afterwards my ears are not ringing, but a strange noise that drives me crazy most of the time, especially right before going to sleep or right after waking up. The doctor said the implants didn't cause it, but it's strange I didn't have this problem before I had the implants.:(
Hi JordaanL, I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am thinking about getting implants so I have been researching and reviewing implants for several months now. I read several articles that reports implants can cause many health problems and neurologic is one of them. medhelp.org have many reviews on patient with similar problems that may help you. I hope everything works out for you.
JordaanL -- I can say that my persistent tinnitus started not long after my implant. It is with me all the time, but I have managed to live with it without letting it "get to me." This is the first time I've ever heard of another implant patient experience the same situation. I too went to a doctor who found no physiological explanation for it. I know two data points don't make a trend, but this is very, very interesting to me.

No matter what the cause, I'm so sorry to hear you have been experiencing noise in your ears. Not fun. :( Have you considered going to see a neurologist as the dentist suggested?

I have ringing in my ears too, but had it before I got my implants. For the longest time, I thought I was hearing crickets. It sounds just like that. Now that I know that it is ringing....it drives me crazy. I keep the radio on all the time and that helps. My doctor told me it was probably caused by an anti inflamatory that I was taking. I wish I had known that in advace because the med didn't help me very much, and I would have never taken it.