Terrible Result with Dr. Keith Jeffords - Smyrna, GA

I am reviewing my experience with Dr. Jeffords in...

I am reviewing my experience with Dr. Jeffords in 2007. I have finally had revision surgery (with different doctor) which has now motivated me to review the experience I had with Jeffords in 2007. I was a healthy male in my mid twenties seeking a good cosmetic surgeon. I had been a very overweight child and decided to make a change at 12 years old to lose weight. I lost a lot of weight very quickly by essentially starving myself, which as all adults know is a very bad idea. I was left with some excess skin and lots of fat that clung on for dear life while I was starving myself. The fat left over would not respond to exercise. Now I was a skinny kid whose body jiggled badly every time I did something physical.

In 2007 I found a gynecomastia message board where the only doctor recommended in the southeast for gynecomastia surgery was Jeffords. I had more areas of concern than gynecomastia, but the man-boobs bothered me the most. In 2007 there weren't a ton of reviews for plastic surgeons, but Jeffords had plenty.

I drove 4.5 hours (I'm from TN) to Atlanta to consult with Jeffords. His facility was very nice. He decided I needed lipo on my back, love handles, chest, and abdomen. I completely agreed with him, but asked him if I would be needing a tummy tuck. He said absolutely not. I thought OK, you know what you're doing. He also said he would lipo my pubic area which would make my penis look bigger. I thought great, but was a little uncomfortable with the comment. We agreed on the fee and surgery was set for next week.

I arrived at the Windy Hill Hospital all excited for surgery thinking my life will finally begin after this with my new body! He came to visit me before surgery and marked me up with his marker. He barely put any marks on me which I thought was a little odd. One of the nurses asked me how much (weight) I want to lose. I thought, "Don't you know lipo is for body contouring, not weight loss?" He didn't explain that to her which annoyed me. I wasn't spending $10,000 to lose 5-10 pounds doing lipo.

After waking up from surgery I felt terrible. It is very common to leak blood and fluid after cosmetic surgery especially from the back, but the nurses told my mom that they had never seen so much blood before. I stayed in Atlanta for 2 days before I felt like going back to TN. Oh yeah, he didn't do any lipo to my pubic area like he promised, so much for my bigger penis.

Now to my followup visits.

I had extreme bruising in my abdomen that I did not have during my revision surgery. My chest looked great at the time, but after the swelling went down all the way I was left with a disfigured chest. He took too much fat out on both sides and my nipples were sunken in and basically stuck to the muscle underneath. The worst part was my abdomen which was lopsided and wavy. They have an onsite massage therapist that gives you massages post-op. When the massage therapist massaged me she asked me if I had already had surgery. I said yes and she looked confused. I could have cried when she asked that.

Every follow visit Dr. Jeffords kept saying how wonderful my result was and smiling. It was so over the top. He was trying to con me into agreeing with him. I didn't have the courage to challenge his opinion on the matter. I asked him on my last visit about the wavy excess skin situation with my abdomen. He said it usually just sucks right into place eventually. He made weird sound effects when describing how the abdomen magically fixes itself. After that, he quickly ushered me out and told me I don't have to come back. He probably thought little of me after that since I am 4.5 hours away.

Finally, in 2013 I had the courage and money to see another surgeon closer to home in TN and ask him what he thought of my result. Needless to say he was not impressed with Jeffords work, and the nurses were stunned with my body. They all inquired what butcher did it. I felt stupid having to say I drove 4.5 hours away to get shoddy work done when I could have had this new surgeon close to home do it from day one.

The doctor even asked me if Jeffords operated on me in the office. I said no, in a hospital. I could have died if he tried that in a office setting... scary! The new surgeon said he would add fat back into my chest and some to my abdomen. He would do more lipo on back and to my pubic area. He said doing a tummy tuck would probably have to occur during a second surgery. After studying my pictures he decided that he would also do the tummy tuck at the same time.

I came out of this surgery feeling awesome, unlike the Jeffords surgery. I seriously felt so good I could have ate at a Chinese buffet. He fixed all of Jeffords blunders. I look pretty damn good now IMO. I may have looked better if I would have went to this doctor in the first place though. This surgeon said he had to spend an extra hour in surgery just to break up the scar tissue that Jeffords left. He said he could tell that Jeffords didn't understand the layers of fat and that he seemed to be blindly sucking the fat. He was thoroughly unimpressed with Jeffords.

So in conclusion, Jeffords took $10,000 from me and left me disfigured for 6 years. I then had to spend another $12,000 for revision surgery. I could have used that money for a down payment on a house. If I had the time and money I would sue Jeffords to get my money back and for pain and suffering. At the very least I can write this review to warn others not to see this doctor and please don't fall for all his fake reviews like I did!
Thank you for posting this very terrible story. I had heard terrible things about Jeffords years ago when I started thinking about a facelift. I wish you the best.
I recently had liposuction done on my upper/lower abdomen, flanks and back, done by Dr. Jeffords. I must say that I am more than pleased with my results and I'm still healing. My surgery was done in June and I'm so happy with him and my results! I should have gone to him years ago. I suppose it's impossible to please everybody ALL the time...I would refer anyone to him, he's amazing!
Glad to hear you had good luck. I believe the surgery the boy needed was very specialized and even though Jeffords advertised he could handle it, obviously he could not. Then he did not offer to repair the terrible damage he had done the child and just tried to make him go away. Twelve years old is a child and it sounds like he has handled all of these terrible things pretty much alone. I remember being on a flight in October 2012 and reading in the airline magazine that Dr. Jeffords was a top plastic surgeon. I came home to Atlanta and did my homework. He had terrible reviews, and I thought "How in the world does he get patients." I thank this young man for taking the time to report more of the sort of thing I had read about Jeffords in 2012.
Smyrna Plastic Surgeon