A Waste of a Decade - Smithtown, NY

I have gone through every medication you can think...

I have gone through every medication you can think of, topical and oral. Nothing has worked. Perhaps this is because my dermatologist could really careless about my skin. He only prescribes the medicine that gives him the best kickbacks from companies. He always forgot about me and my condition on every visit. Disheartening.
Long Island City Dermatologist

I've needed help my moderate, yet stubborn acne, for the past decade. This man is highly unprofessional, regardless of his reputation and talk-show appearances. He has passed numerous rude comments about me, once mocking me for an answer I gave to a required sexual health question. He has never spent more than three minutes in the room with me, and I cannot recall him every examining my face. I always leave his office feeling helpless and confused. Perhaps he should work on his bedside manner instead of publishing more articles for magazines. I have never met a more pretentious person in my life.

I also should have pointed out - as an esthetician I spend no less than 45 minutes with my clients (that booked an hour appt) and you certainly NEVER sat in the waiting area for an extended period of time like you can in medical offices. I also had the misfortune to (briefly) go to a "T.V. Doctor". I almost never saw her during the actual appt and when I did see her she acted like she couldn't care less about my challenges. She repeatedly prescribed me medication that was not the best choice because that was the big pharma company that gave her free samples. This was back when I had excellent medical insurance and could go just about anywhere. Needless to say I fired her as my physician and never looked back. The fact that your doctor made rude remarks to you is outrageous. You should never feel uncomfortable or intimidated by anyone who YOU are paying. It's like the snotty hairdresser at the salon. If they make you feel bad about yourself and they aren't helping you look any better why would you give them a dime of your money? Get online and shop your area for doctors or estheticians that get great reviews. Use the internet to research if you can't find anyone from a friend's referral. I have been in the skincare business for over 24 years and I know how frustrating acne and skincare challenges can be. There are good doctors and skincare professionals out there you just have to keep looking. I would however give a wide birth to any T.V. "personalities" in the future.
Why don't you start by firing this asshat. The doctor works for you not the other way around. If he was getting great results that might be different but why would you continue to PAY to be treated this way? If I were you I might look into going to an esthetician. They actually do treatments for acne rather than simply throwing drugs at you. Acne can also be aggravated by hair care products (do you change your pillowcase often? Do you touch your face too much? What kind of makeup are you using? How often do you wash your face? If you wash too often with a drying cleanser your skin could be over compensating by producing more oil. Have you had your thyroid checked? Thyroid malfunction can be a huge culprit for hormone malfunction/acne. Are you taking vitamin supplements? Biotin (a supplement that is suppose to help the skin & hair) can actually cause cystic acne. These are ALL questions your dermatologist OR esthetician should be asking you. I really hope you fire that jerk you've been going to and find someone who is in it to HELP rather than cash in. Good luck!

Sorry to hear the treatments you tried didn't work for you. :( Struggling with acne can be frustrating. Which medications have you tried?

Pretty much every one you can think of! I'm going back to the beginning of the list...to the medicines I took in my adolescence in hopes that maybe they'll help me now that I'm older. So far, nothing. The only medicine that ever worked was Accutane, but Dr. Solomon only put me on 20mg/day for 4 months...so naturally after I stopped taking it, the acne came right back. My skin even reacts poorly to Cetaphil and CeraVe. So frustrating =0[