SmartXide DOT - Charlotte, NC

I got the SmartXide DOT laser resurfacing for acne...

I got the SmartXide DOT laser resurfacing for acne scars I've suffered with my entire adult life. My scars are not terribly deep but are dispersed over a large portion of my face. I'm also a fair-skinned freckle-face.

I had the procedure on Monday, December 22 and today is Thursday evening, December 25. The procedure itself was a breeze (and I'm a big wimp!). To me the laser felt like slightly prolonged electric shocks to the face. The only real discomfort I had was later that night when my face was burning. This is normal and not intolerable AT ALL. I had the expected swelling but it was very minor. I put ice packs on twice the first night.

Day 2 was marked by slight swelling, sandpaper-like skin and all the tiny white dots. No discomfort! I did go out in public as it just looked like a severe sunburn.

Day 3 was marked by mild itching, still sandpaper like and the dots turned brown/red. No more swelling.

Today is day 4 and I'm just starting to get flaky. I was told large pieces of skin would peel off but that isn't happening yet. Still feels like sandpaper.

It's hard to tell yet whether it has really helped my scars at all. I'm feeling a little discouraged as I tend to prefer instant gratification and I'm not seeing it yet. I was told it could take up to 6 months to get full results.

Also, specific to my case is that I will need 2 procedures. Once the doctor got working on me he realized just how extensive and disperse my acne scarring was. He therefore decided to do intense spot treatment of the scars and leave the overall less intense passover for the 2nd time. He said it would be too dangerous to do the full face on top of the spot treatment. So, I still have my freckles (which is ok since they are part of me and who I am)and I'm not sure if the scars are any better yet.

I'm still holding out hope for better results...

I'm still holding out hope for better results after my 2nd procedure. I'm not sure if I'm excited or freaked out about my freckles being removed. I'm a red-headed freckle face and can't quite imagine not having them after 37 years! But, I'm willing to do it to improve the acne scars that have scarred me emotionally for over 20 years.

Waiting for results in our culture of immediate gratification is still difficult...I"ll keep you posted!

Love my doc - the only reason I'm marking 'no' for 'Was it worth it' is because I don't know yet.

Last post, and I'll be quiet.

From a FAQ-like 'question' posted by someone else... "But when I saw them in the dark with a flashlight, I saw depressions in the areas I know I have no scars, and my tiny acne scars / large pores looked a lot worse. Is using a flashlight with a mirror in the dark a good or bad way to judge your skin?"

The question is in the context of fraxel, but the same results clearly apply to SmartDot, based on my treatment (and by the guy who had this laser first in the USA).

The answering MD replies that it's a bad way to measure?? Really? It's the ONLY way to measure to anyone who is self conscious about their scars. Direct overhead lighting in low lit areas is very common, and it's when scars appear their worst. And if you're making things worse under those conditions, but better under 'normal' light, then count me out. These residual 'irregularities' from the resurfacing process weren't disclosed in any form to me.
I genuinely hate to throw a wet blanket on some of the praises of this technology, but I have to say that I've had 2 treatments so far (my 3rd is coming up), and I've read a lot of posts here and elsewhere (including videos chronicling journeys), and I don't get the sense that measurement of actual improvement (including measurement of damage to previously un-scarred skin) is taking very seriously in this business/profession. No one seems to discuss 'flashlight' test results, i.e. overhead beam in the dark, which really shows what is smoothing out and what isn't. Pictures taken before and after at the DR office are in ideal lighting. People who see my results at the club are not fooled. They won't be signing up for it, until this industry takes results measurement seriously, and improves the process (I don't know if issuing a steroid to facilitate healing is needed or what). Sure, the few pockets I have on my cheeks are going away (VERY thankful/happy about this), BUT the residual effect on my previously un-scarred skin is horrible. I was honestly looking forward to telling a number of female friends (who have plenty of money to spend on this kind of stuff) that they should look into this treatment. Not a chance, unless my healing is somehow miraculously better on the 3rd treatment. But, I'm glad many people here seem to be happy and feel they got the results they were looking for though.
Thanks Allison37 for clearing that up for me about the fraxel... I"m now sooo excited to have the Smart dot done after your post's thank you.... Though i hope i have the right Doctor doing it, like i said can't seem to get in contact with any one who has had him preform Smart dot on them oh well have to give him a try... Dr did say 2-3 treatments... Fingers crossed
Sorry blueblue for not answering sooner.

The fraxel treatments did nothing for my acne scars. I had the blue smurf version of fraxel which was a different type of laser than the fraxel treatments of today.

The key is going to a doctor that is skilled in using this laser to its best advantage for treating acne scars. They are not all equally skilled. I live in the PNW and best doctor I had for this treatment was in Arizona. I tried a local doctor but had not as a good of a result.

My only regret is that Smartxide was not an option in my 20s. I also wish it was cheaper so that more people living with acne scars could try this treatment.

You need to do it more than once to get the best result and you need to get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.
Also Allison do you think SmartDot worked for because you had 5 fraxel treatments before hand? ad did you have the co2 fraxel laser?
Hi Allison, when i read your story it gives me hope : ) I Am 40 and now am feeling like i did when i was in my teens and twenty"s about my acne scares!! i let it go and tried not to let them bother me but really deep down when i look in the mirror i want to cry : (( I had a chemical peel with dry ice on my scares at 22 helped a little. now i dont know if its my age but it WORSE! I'm in Melbourne Australia have tried to talk to other people on post to see if anyone close to me has had smartdot done for acne scares and hopefully find the right doctor, but i have had no response... So Allison how many treatments of Smart dot have you had to date? and did you have your full face done every time?
I had great results from the Smartxide. I would do it again. I really believe that the doctor/technician doing the treatment is key. They need to know how to use the laser to get the best results. I went to a doctor's clinic in Chandler Arizona and I tried one in the Pacific North West. I had poor results with the PNW doctor and terrific results with the Arizona doctor. The smartxide treatments I did changed my life for the better. Three years later I stand by that statement. I am thinking of doing it again for age versus acne related issues I am starting to notice but won't do it until the spring or fall.
BTW, my acne scars were bad and very noticeable. I wouldn't go anywhere without makeup and kids used to ask what happened to my face. Clients and old friends who hadn't seen me in awhile often asked what I had done to make such an improvement. Embarassing but true.
Mine looked good, too...for awhile! I'm not sure about the other laser.
Laserhope thats not good news at all!! why can they build it up for just a great letdown!!!! Is fraxsel co2 laser better?? i remember a nurse spoke to me about my acne scarring a few years ago, mind you she approached me about it and told me she had laser about 3 or 4 times for her acne scarring and i must say it looked good!! since that day i have become more and more self conscious about it :(((
Blue Blue...how interesting that you should ask me at this particular moment about my results as I have just this month been noticing that my face seems to be returning to it's previous state :-( I am very bummed out about it as I thought the results were permanent. I did see improvement initially but now I'm not sure I would have invested the money knowing that the results were not going to last. I'm pretty disillusioned right now. But that said, I suppose everyone reacts differently. My scars were mild to moderate and I ended up having 4 treatments because the first doctor was very "light" & conservative in his approach. The final one was deep and hurt like hell! The doc who did that one said he didn't usually do it on conscious patients, rather on face lift patients while they are still under. Anyway, let us know what you decide...good luck!
Hi Laserhope would love to know how you acne scarring is now that time has pasted? I'm going to do the smart dot laser i a few weeks. Dermo says i need 2 mabe 3 treatments, i have read mixed post about it a lot say not worth it. I'm sick of wasting my money on acne scare treatments that dont help!!!
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in here, i had the smartxide for mild acne scarring, 2 months ago. It was extremely painful despite the so called numbing cream. So far, not a single change in my scars. I'm very discouraged and doubtful that 4-6 months will make any difference. I spent 2k hoping for some improvement. At this point i wouldnt reccomend it to anyone.
You will likely need more than one Smartxide and if your doctor is new he/she might be too conservative or too aggressive so I would find a more experienced doc and/or choose the other option.
Did u have a 3rd treatment? If so, how did it go? I had the smartxide laser about 3 weeks ago and I feel I got about 20% improvement. I am scheduled for a 2nd procedure in 6 months and I'm wondering if it's even worth doing.
Hey, Has anyone got photos they are willing to share? I am tossing up between Smartxide dot and fraxel repair - any comments on which is better? I plan on having a single treatment and that's it. Also, do you think it's a pb that the doctor has only used the machine on a few patients ie should I wait a year until the dr is experienced?
Does anyone have any suggestions for a GOOD, Oil-Free, UVA/UVB, high SPF sunscreen with moisturizer? I've been using Neutrogena but although it says it doesn't leave a greasy feel I think it does! A shiny one anyway...
Just wanted to let anyone who reads this know that I had 2 treatments with Smartxide (one this January and the following one in March). I would say that I have seen a 40-50% improvement. It has definitely been worth the money ($3000) as I am much more comfortable in my own skin for the first time in a long time. My skin isnt perfect, but I dont feel as though my imperfections stand out as much any more. I feel normal, and thats all I was going for. Just keep your expectations realistic and you will not be disappointed with this treatment! (Also, as a side note, I just wanted to reinforce the importance of wearing a high SPF sunscreen for several months after treatment. I only used 30 at first and began to develop malasma, but over time with a better protection that has faded)
Hi Im 37 years old and I hve been living with acne scars since I was 18...I suffered from bad asthma and the steroids injected into my blood stream to keep me alive had its downside. I had rystaline injections already done..There was some improvement but I noticed the scars seem more noticeable now that the collagen injections have faded... This has affected my social life and self esteem terribly although friends and family always try to cheer me up... I know how I feel when Im in the sun light... I am planning on having smartxide dot laser in 4 weeks I will pay 1000 for the full face ...Well I need more? My scars arent extremely deep I have a few but scattered it ooks like large pores.. Any advice?
Angelica - I know exactly how you feel - being in the sunlight is my biggest nightmare as it only accentuates the scars! I've had DOT twice now and will get a third one in October - (my doc is giving me a 3rd for free). October is 6 months after the last one so he said he'll be able to really see how I'm responding. So far I've seen some slight improvement but not as much as I'd hoped for. Actually I am a bit disappointed since $2800 is a lot of money for me! I'm guessing you will need more than 1x - mine aren't deep either and 2 hasn't done it for me. Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions!
Hi all - I just got my 2nd DOT done on Thursday. Still targeting the acne scarring and holding out hope. This delayed gratification thing is difficult to deal with - I want to see results now! My doctor said he'd do the 3rd one for free if I want it! But have to wait at least 6 months to see what happens wiht the first 2. Downtime was minimal. My skin feels like sandpaper but doesn't look bad. I went out in public yesterday - no big deal. You can't really tell unless you look close and see the millions of tiny dots. Cross your collective fingers for my results...
Wow prince77 I am so happy for you - and sure wish I could say the same about my results! Good for you...will you have another treatment?
HELLO, to everybody here....im christian, as for me im a rare case in the sense of how many pro cedues i've done in the last 4 to 5 years for moderate acne scars on my cheeks...you theirs people out there that say they've done it all, well im for really truly one of those rare people,and here's the list procedures along with # of times i did the actual procedure....IPL (3 times) Fraxel (4 times) Pixel (3 times) Cooltouch (4 times) Photodynamictherapy (1 time) Erbium laser resurfacing (1 time)along with endless types of peels, and let me tell all were disappointments........Until i found the Smartxide Dot laser resurfacing with Dr Yoho in pasadena Ca....This has literally change my life...i got the my first treatment about a couple of weeks ago, and believe me after all the disappointed with all my other procedures i didn't think anything would work....but it really did work OMG!!! 30% to 40% improvement with just 1 treatment...
Congratulations Prince on your initial results. I was very happy with my Smartxide treatments as well. Although I still have acne scars they are so much improved it has shot my confidence level up two or three notches. I am thinking of doing a third treatment. I have after two treatments somewhere between 40-60% improvement. It is hard for me to remember how bad it used to be. All I know is that I am no longer embarrassed by my skin.
OMG Christian...I live in Pasadena like the next street over from this Doc. I just got my first SmartXide DOT treatment 8 days ago and not too happy with the results BUT I went to Mexico for this because a friend of mine said it costs less there and recommended a Doctor from TJ. I will be paying $800 per treatment. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? If it's almost the same I MUCH RATHER go here since it's almost next door. I still can't believe it and it helps that you are happy with your results!!! Please let it be cheaper because I hate driving all the way over there.