Smart Lipo With Vaser -- Not So Sure It Was Worth It

I went in for a consult to have smart lipo with...

I went in for a consult to have smart lipo with vaser done on my inner and outer thighs (areas of my body that I have always hated) and my flanks.  During my consult I mentioned I wanted a tummy tuck and the Dr. told me he could flatten out my stomach and that there was absolutely no need to have a tuck done.  The idea of having the scar from hip to hip as well as a weird belly button have always prevented me from having the tuck done so I was happy with the idea of a flat (or even flatter) belly!  I was also told to have my posterior bra line done since I was having my flanks done - fine... as well as my banana fold -- whatever.  I went for that too.  I am 5'4" and when I went in for my consult I was 128 lbs.  I asked the Dr. if it was ok to put on a little weight since my weight fluctuates by about 4 or 5 lbs. at different times during the year and he told me to go for it.

When I came in for my procedures, scheduled over 2 days - January 28 & 29, 2009 I weighed 135 lbs.  The first day was focused on my stomach and flanks.  It was a lot more uncomfortable than I had expected.  The lidocaine burns and the fat gets real hard -- almost like trying to rip through gristle.  I expected that the fat would melt and be sucked out so the force of cutting through the fat was much unexpected.  I was wrapped up with pads and compression garments and went home.

The second day was for my posterior bra line & inner & outer thighs & banana fold.  This was not nearly as uncomfortable as my stomach.  The lidocaine still burned but I had no feeling of the cannula unlike the day before.

My Dr. took his time and I felt very confident that he was doing a good job.  Again, I went home fully packed with way too many pads shoved into my compression clothes -- I looked like the Michelin man and it was hard to walk around.  I went back the following day for a re-check and when they took the pads and garment off I was thrilled with my legs -- they looked so thin!  I was so excited!  My stomach was very lumpy and I had more taken out of the right side of my waistline than the left but I was told that all of that would even out and not to worry.

I wore my compression garments day and night for 2 weeks.  I hated them!  My skin itched constantly and they were so uncomfortable.  I hated the open crotch thing -- although it makes sense, when the garment started to ride up I would wind up with a major camel toe -- not very attractive!  My incisions stopped leaking after the 2nd day -- my legs leaked the longest, probably up to 4 days and then the swelling set in because my thighs seemed to fill right back up.

At this point I am 5 weeks out and see no major improvements.  I went back for a 4 week check-up and my Dr. told me I should have kept the compression clothes on for 4 weeks -- not 2.  News to me!  I am still tender in the legs and stomach and without the compression clothes -- I can feel those body parts all the time if that makes sense.  For example, I was chasing after my son and it felt like my stomach and thighs were bouncing around -- I know they weren't but I can just feel them -- like they tingle or ache...  It's hard to explain.  Anyway...  He told me since the areas still seemed tender I should put the compression clothes back on - Great...  I have been wearing them around the clock again -- this time they don't itch but the crotch thing still is a pain.

I guess what bothers me the most is I was told over and over by the Dr. that I would have amazing results.  I was in pretty decent shape before I went in so I figured he would take out the fat drop a size in my clothes and have smooth thighs.  I was told by the Dr. that anything I could pinch would be gone and that I would be able to wear a bikini (this was not my ultimate goal but I figured it would be a nice perk).  I was also told by the Dr. that I would easily drop a dress size if not 2...  None of that has happened.  I am still wearing all of the same clothes and when I try on jeans in a store that are 1 size below my normal they are skin tight.

I could tell at my 4 week check-up that my Dr. was concerned too and he did say he would do whatever he could to make me happy but do I really want to go through this again?  And what if I end up deformed like a lot of people are...  My stomach already looks like lumpy potatoes but at least I can hide that with clothes -- I would hate for my thighs to be that way too.

I am back down to 129 lbs. and still losing -- but let me clarify -- I am that weight b/c I have been super strict about my diet.  One of the things I was told by the Dr.’s office is that fat does not weigh much so don't look for a major loss on the scale but rather I should be losing inches.   I am planning on starting an exercise routine and will see if that helps...

I still can't help but wonder what happened from the time my thighs were so slender (right after the surgery) until now.

Oh... as for the other areas -- my flanks look better than they did but those too seem fuller now than they were immediately after surgery -- as a matter of fact all of it does.  Why?

I hope this in depth look helps and I will post back again when I return to the Dr. in April.

I am not sure yet whether I would recommend him or not... I really have to wait until my 3 - 6 months to see if anything corrects itself

Mine was done by the same doctor and it did nothing. I wore the garments exactly how they said to and was vigilant to keep them on. Now exactly were i wanted it to go, in the front it is worse bc he said i had the garment on too tight and it caused the front to pop out!!!! Really!!!He told me to go back for a touch up but I do not have the money and I am so upset. This was a year ago and my stomach is worse then before/ I trusted him!!
The Dr. has posted himself on the page so I don't feel bad posting his name. Daniel Francis - and I would not recommend going there. My stomach is VERY lumpy - there are at least 3 sections where too much fat was removed. I have been advised by two other Board Certified Plastic Surgeons that my lipo job was botched.
Hi im looking into getting smartlipo and was wondering what Dr you went to in philadelphia. Im looking at a few and want to make sure i make the right choice.

Thank you!
Danni and Lisa,

Instead of just bashing me, why don't you post your before and after pictures???

-Dr. Dan Francis
Those were 5-week after pictures? Where are the before's and how about your one month and 3 month pictures????
That is exactly who I went to - DON'T GO!!!! Find a board certified plastic surgeon who will perform your work the right way. My stomach is lumpy in some sections, caved in in others and those "pin sized holes" leave cigarette burn size scars. When I went back and complained he told me I had body dysmorphic disease... but he did offer to "fix" the areas he screwed up (I did not take him up on it). What they promise is not even close to what the reality is and you have to sign those all of those waivers. Ask them to put in writing all that they are promising you -- I guarantee they won't! If I had to do it again I wouldn't... just save the money and join the gym because there is NO skin tightening. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Please tell me you didn't go ti daniel francis it sounds like the same bullshit they told me. And I am going this week. di2

Do you mind sharing the name of your doctor? I live in Philadelphia and was considering the same surgery....there has already been good reviews for one local doctor, I'm wondering if it is the same person. Thanks!
I think you're judging your results far too prematurely. I had smartlipo on my knees without suction and it took a full 18 months before I saw the final result. By the way your thighs look fine in the photo. Why would you want them to look thinner? You don't want to lose all your feminine curves and have shapeless legs.
I did the same thing you did, got several areas done at once. I am also waiting for the process to be complete before I post results. My work was done about 6wks ago. I have not went back to the gym yet or changed my eating habbits, and I have 4 garmets(so I always have a clean one everyday) the only time I do not wear one is when I am in the shower. I can tell a change but I still have days when I get swollen. I agree with you, if you go on a diet or run 10miles a days then the weight loss/ shape cahnge can't be directly associated to the procedure.
Thank you everyone for your comments. To answer some of them, no.. I am not currently working out but it is on my to do list! Honestly, I wanted to wait to see what my surgery results were and I didn't want to blur the line between what was a result from working out vs. surgery. At this point 4.4.09 I am still at the same weight looking the same way I did in the pics above -- which is barely different than what I looked like before surgery. I find it all very discouraging and a huge waste of money. I have another follow-up next week so I will see what the Dr. says but I know I do not have even close to the results I was promised. I have read numerous posts from Dr.'s and at this point - what you see is what you get -- I may have a little firming to look forward to but again, nothing like what I was told to expect. I am not a naive person and I did my reseach. I also addressed my concerns about my results before going in. I was assured that I would, "have amazing results" and that, "anything you can pinch will be gone" -- these are the reasons I am so discouraged. I guess my biggest piece of advice to anyone having the surgery is do one spot at a time to see how your body will heal -- I went for the whole kit and kaboodle and I regret it constantly. Lastly, Fancii -- I looked on your page and you and I went to the same clinic -- although I had a different Dr. Did you express your unhappiness to them and if so what did they say?
I feel the way you feel. µy expectations and what I received were too different things and I feel aside from my waist line looking more contoured, I did not get my $4k worth of fat removed, My thighs are still thick. I live in my girdle bought extra ones' itching so bad to the point where I was squirking body oil directly into the garment to control the itchng. Would you please disclose what center you went to for your surgery, although I think I already have an idea. Good luck and I feel your disappointment.
Not to be mean at all sweetie but do you exercise because we can't all expect some miracle without helping it a little. If you spent all that money you should at leat work out three days a week to help the tightening and firming. You legs are stellar by the way. You really should love your thighs if I were a guy I would love em. Love the skin you are in baby. Everyone cannot and shouldn't want to be a size two.
I was a little worried too but almost 3 months out and I am very happy with my results. My legs are still tight feeling and my love handles are still a little sore at the end of the day. I look better in clothes although I didn't lose weight nor drop a size. I had lumps in my sides but they went away with a little bit of massaging. I used arnica gel and took arnica tabs to help with the bruising and swelling. I don't massage near as much as I used and I think they may be contributing to the swelling. I think you are on your way to looking awesome! Cause you look great already.
is it really fair to review your results after five weeks when it clearly says it takes up to a year to see the full results?
All of the reserch that I did before my procedure said that smart lipo was not for dractic weight loss. It would remove some fat cells but it was for a more refined look those 1 or 2 inches of fat that just would not go away with diet &excersize. I had mine done for the tightning if I lost inches great but I just wanted my loose skin tighter, so I could loose more without having skin hanging. My Doc said it was more for that or to get rid of spots like your "baby pouch" small fat sites. I hope you get close to the results you were looking for. I'm with you, we are crazy - spen thousands to be in agony with out knowing for sure if it is going work. There are several other people that have earlier post of pic's & storys like yours. The prolonged swelling you may want to e-mail them.
I took pain meds every 4-6 hours until I ran out of them and then I called back for more! I hated feeling so uncomfortable and sleeping was the worst. My spine and my stomach caused me the most discomfort but I could feel pain everywhere. It also was tough after I had been sitting for a while and tried to get up -- that is when my legs would bother me the most. The garment I had to wear was a full body garment with arms - they were so tight that I ended up cutting the sleeves off. I would say by about day 12 I only took the pain meds before bed. I think if you have them and you are in pain you should take them. Everyone's pain tolerance is different but if you are uncomfortable and can't sleep -- take meds! That is why your Dr. gave them to you!!! I hope you start to feel better soon! I wonder why we do these things to ourselves!
I am 10days out from my procedure. Lower abs, love handles, inner thighs, and breast aug. That feeling of "I can always feel it" it is kinda gross I have ot too. There are some places that still have a raw but numb feeling. My Doc informed me from the begining that the garments shoud be worn for a while because it takes awhile for the skin to "reattach".The biggest problem I have with them is that sometimes they feel like the skin is being pulled down by the garmet sliding down. I was wondering how long you had to take the pain meds. I have been trying to only take 1 before bed for the past couple of days but I am not in super pain it is more like a really bad sun burn and having on tight jeans. Last night I attempted no meds before bed now here I am been up for hours no matter how I lay there is too much pressure to sleep more than 30 min.s in one spot.