Smart Lipo - Ouch

Okay, it's day 2 for me. OUCH. Feels like lots...

Okay, it's day 2 for me. OUCH. Feels like lots of pulled muscles, severe exercise pains, and tender bruising. Does not feel like an open wound. Luckily for me I haven't thrown up yet-in fact, not much nausea at all. I'm taking 1/2 to 1 full vicodin every few hours, icing diligently and getting up to walk around every once in a while. I had my flanks, sides, front of the thighs, knees and calves done. Thank goodness the upper half of my body feels normal. I did have quite a bit done, and by an excellent surgeon, but whoever says you can return to work the next day after smart lipo is LYING. I've been on the couch since I got home from my procedure yesterday. My swelling is worse in same areas today (knees, ankles) and better in others (back). My back and stomach is ouchier today than yesterday. Yesterday my legs hurt far worse. Can't wait for a few more days to pass, as I've been told my many that day 2 is the absolute worst. Amazingly enough though, I feel a big difference in my flanks and calves!! I'm also in pretty good spirits, even though the pain is sucky. Hope this helps, I'll continue to update over the course of the week.

Updated May 10, 2010:

I'm writing 4 days after my smartlipo procedure. I had it done last friday, may 7th. My plastic surgeon is triple board certified and does not perform this procedure when patients are awake. Just too creepy. Anyway, I had my stomach, flanks, inner thighs, knees and calves done. Most of my pain is in my back and stomach-just feel likes a huge body bruise combined with the effects of a million sit-ups everywhere. My legs are more uncomfortable than painful-they are pretty numb and swollen and feel weird. I literally have the fattest ankles and feet. Also, I'm very swollen right above my private parts. Weird where the swelling goes. All the areas feel numb still, all the nerves need to grow back. When i take the compression garment off, it still feels like I have it on. I stopped taking vicodin on day 3-horrible headache caused me to stop. Now I'm taking tylenol and am feeling ok on that. I'm finally able to roll onto my side a little bit, so sleeping is easier. Mostly i feel like i want to constantly move my legs to get the feeling going. On to the results now: I officially have a waist. I've never weighed more than 125 (and I'm 5'5"), and went into the procedure weighing 122. I've never had a defined waist and now i do. I had a "square butt" before and now my back curves inward above my butt like its supposed to. Didn't have much to suck out on my tummy at all. I had really fat knees and thighs right above the knees. All of a sudden they are bony and defined. Before, my calves were pretty large for a girl my size. Not any more. He got a POUND off EACH of my calves. He took 11.5pounds of fat off total. Right now I'm really looking forward to a month out when all my nerves have grown back and my skin feels like it used to. The swelling would be easier to deal with if I had more feeling in my body. All in all, I'm starting to see results and I hope that it's worth it and I don't heal looking uneven or weird or lumpy like some of you have.

Experienced, triple board certified surgeon.

Hello, I am considering smart lipo and am looking for a knowledgable Doctor. What is your Doctor's name?
Hello, I'm writing to update you all on my procedure and status! I am day 10, and let me tell you-days 5-8 were TERRIBLE. My stomach and back pain stopped bothering me pretty shortly after the procedure, just ouchy when i moved around, got up, laid down. Everything moved to these damn legs. Discomfort like I've never experienced. The pain level was probably a 4 or 5 out of 10, but it was the consistency of it that was horrible. Deeeeep muscle pain, pain mimicking growing pains, burning sensation, etc. When I woke up from sleep or laying still for a while, my ankles and knees felt like they were broken they were so ouchy and swollen. I did have my entire leg(s) worked on, and they have definitely been the toughest to recover from. The doctor says my leg pain has not been entirely normal, and he switched me from vicodin to something called ultram. After my procedure I was also doing Lovenox injections everyday to ward off blood clots. The doctor prescribed this because he said that blood clots are a real threat in cosmetic surgery, and not enough doctors consider that or discuss it with their patients. Also, I was at a higher threat for blood clots because: I'm (a) female, (b) on birth control, and (c) had a procedure on my calves. Blood clots tend to create behind the knee and in the calves so we had to be careful. I am 10 days out now and I feel like I've finally turned a corner today. My feet look like feet again. I am still swollen, but the difference from last week is remarkable. I was asked today if I would do this again, and I said yes, but less areas at once. Also, I bruised quite a bit and I've been using arnica gel and tablets. They work wonders!!!!!
I am so glad I read your post. This is post op day 5 for me and I swear I think this has been my worst day. I ache all over from my arm pits to my thighs. I had lipo of hips, flanks and abdomen last Thurs, May 13. I was feeling very down because I was not recovering as quickly as I thought I should be. So, hopefully another couple of miserable days and I will turn the corner.
Thank you for your update! I have been looking all over the internet for helpful information on post-op recovery and was getting frustrated with all the "no pain success stories". Although I feel good, I too have the 'deep muscle pain, etc' that you mention. I just had my upper/lower abs done on Wed 5/12. When I get up or bend over, I get an "ouchy" feeling in one specific spot (in the middle). So, I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one! Please keep me updated on your pain! Wishing you all the best and the results you want!
AS stated above, lipo is for sculpting not weight loss. The ideal candidate is a helathy normal weighted person that wants to sculpt the stubborn areas. I feel so much better today, day 12. Still have swelling and numbness but no more pain. i am still anxious to see final results. My stomach is definetly flat but I do not see much of a difference in the love handles. But well see in some more time.
I agree with you Crossyourfi as well. I know plenty of thin girls who have a belly bulge. I dont think you are insecure for getting the precedure you had a problem area and you got it fixed nothing wrong with that. And if I'm not mistaken smartlipo or any form of lipo is is not for WEIGHT-LOSS at all but its for problem areas. I think people who are bigger tend to use this as a weight loss and that is not what its for. Its for sculpting problem areas. Though I'm not 122 I am a fairly small and my problem was my belly, I dont plan on losing any weight from this procedure at all I just wanted my stomach FLAT which it is now. My 10lb weight loss goal will come from diet and excercise.
This is to MsPretty43--Smartlipo is not to lose weight. It is for body sculpting and it works best for those of us who are already at a healthy weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle.We just want to fix a couple of areas that will not budge due to diet and exercise. I can't wait fo my proceedure on May 28th!!
I agree with crossyourfi. I weighed 124 before I had the procedure done. I had a lot of fat in my midsection. I have photos on my site that you can see. It's been 1 1/2 since my procedure and i'm still feeling the numbness and am still swollen. :( I had 5 incisions, but the Dr. hid them very well and are barely noticeable now.
122lbs doesnt mean I am stick skinny. I had a little pudge in my stomach and love handles. All I was trying to acomplish was to completely fit in my jeans without the bulge. I could care less if I loose lbs, I just want to loose the bulge. And 122lbs still can have unsightly fat!
I had my stomach and love handles done on may 5th. I can say it was not what I expected. The day after was extremely painful. Day by it has gotten better. I feel pretty good today. I had the garment on for 6 days before I went in for my follow up. He took out my stiches and switched me to a stage 2 garmet. I definetly see a difference. I just so swollen still and have to say its a very uncomfortable feeling on how numb and swollen my stomach is. I noticed noone ever talks about the scars. I have 8 incisions and I am very nervous of them. I just hope they fade and blend in. I to am 5'4 and went in at 124.5 lbs. So far so good but I highly doubt I will be able to wear a bikini this summer bc i want to wait for the scars to heal.....want to swap some before and after pics?