CO2 Laser - Sioux Falls, SD

I just had the laser surgery yesterday. After...

I just had the laser surgery yesterday. After numbing my face, several shots of novacaine, and two doses of oxycodone, the pain was tolerable. It was quite intense at times- felt like teeny needles going into my skin. The lip area and around the eyes were the most sensitive. Some laser passes were not even felt. Today, not even 24 hrs later, My face feels hot and swollen. Nothing unbearable, just uncomfortable. Using cold cloths and ibuprofen for heat and swelling. Anxious to see the results over the next few weeks.

Dr. Heather Karu

My doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon. I would not recommend getting this procedure done by anyone other than this type of doctor.

It has been a month since my procedure (50 micron laser peel with bbl). I will be having an additional procedure, not as intense, to clear up the brown spots which are still visisble. I do not see significant results. I think the more the swelling went down, the more wrinkles reappeared. The before/after showed minimal reduction in fine lines but given the cost, intensity of the procedure, and amount of downtime (10 days), I would say I am disappointed in the results.
When you say micron laser peel, do you mean CO2 laser? I know there are several different kinds, but I wasn't sure.
50 microns is the intensity of the laser peel. The lower the microns, the shorter the downtime. 50 microns is 10 to 14 days downtime.
I am one week and one day out and have been VERY happy with the results. Yes, I am still wrinkly in spots but my skin tone is so much better...and I too had excessive itchyness and HOT skin..but I do look more "rested" and I would say 10 years younger...I too went to a board certified plastic surgeon. It does make a difference.You have to give it time...and go to a REAL DOCTOR who does it for a living!!
It has been 8 weeks since my procedure and I can attest that my skin tone and texture have greatly improved. Any color/spot irregularities I had are gone. The only reason I am having a 2nd procedure is for wrinkles and acne scarring as I received minimal results with these issues during the 1st procedure. Give it a few weeks and you should begin seeing some improvement. I also went back to using Retin-A a few weeks after the procedure. This helps with evening out skin tone.

Robin
Update- my skin is healed with a beautiful pink color. It looks lovely but not as smooth as I thought it would be. When the sloughing first happened, a couple of days ago, it felt very very smooth but that quickly changed. Just wondering why?
Also I am a bit concerned about the area under my eyes. I never had a problem with "eye bags" or crepey skin, but I do now. Has this happened to anyone else? Will it get better in time?
Now that time has passed, how do you feel about the results. I had mine done a week ago and the dark circles under my eyes seem a little lighter but as I mentioned in my review, the dark spots on one side of my face are still there. I'm sure they'll be lighter than the "before" photo but they will definitely require coverup...something I was hoping to avoid.
It has now been eight weeks since my procedure. I have some hyperpigmentation, but very light. Also, I have some return of freckles because of ONE day in the sun with sunscreen of 70 SPF. I am a bit disappointed with that, but overall the doctor is extremely pleased with my progress. My skin is very very soft and rosy. I am using Hydroquinine every night for the few spots that have appeared. Hope it will work and they will go away.
I have since had a Med Lite laser (used to remove tatoos) treatment on the brown spots which were still visible after the South Beach peel. It is now over two weeks and some brown spots are still visible. I have another followup in two weeks but will probably just try the Lustra (hydroquinone) for lightening. I have already had almost a month of downtime with both procedures and am not willing to experiment any further. Overall at this point I would say thumbs down to what has been done so far. No further damage but minimal improvement.
Thanks Robin for your response. My family has lived in Belize for 20 years so I too have alot of sun damage. I have not lived there myself, but visited them several times a year. Thankfully I have no acne scarring, have had dry skin all my life. Much more prone to wrinkles however, hence my decision to get this procedure. I am 47 years old and was a good candidate.
I received excellent results from the 1st procedure on my skin tone and texture. It removed all sun damaged spots (a sun worshipper for many years) and my skin is smoothe and dewey; seriously, my face has never felt so soft and my skin tone so even however, my Dr and I feel that a 2nd procedure will be beneficial for the crease in my forehead and mild acne scarring. I also will receive a discount of $200.00 for a 2nd/3rd procedure if completed within 3 months of each another. Typically, one procedure is all you need but I have a few areas that I really want to focus on!
Robin
yes, the itching was definitely the worst part for me as well. My skin is sloughing quickly, though, so the itching is dissipating. I am so thrilled to see the skin underneath ! Please tell me why you need to have a second procedure. Mine is supposed to be a one shot deal, as I had my whole face done.
Hello- I also had severe itching that lasted for about a week and a half. Honestly, that was the worst part. I took Benadryl and used Hydrocortisone cream but the relief was minimal. I havent seen many post mentioning the severe itching I experienced. Obviously though, as I have my second procedure scheduled it is not a deterrant! Hope you continue to see positive results!

Robin
It did hurt, despite the pain medication. I am healing quite quickly and all the small red blood marks are gone. However, now it is extremely tight and itches ALOT. I continue to use frozen peas for the swelling. I am also taking Aleve and Arnica. I honestly can already see results, as my skin is fair and I had an extreme amount of freckles, sun damage. They have already faded a great deal.

Hi ckolhoff,

I'm glad you are doing so well. Frozen peas sure are great for swelling. :) Already seeing results is great. When you are all healed we would love to see pictures.

Thanks,

-Britt

Yes, Britt, I used frozen edamame. LOL. Bigger bag than frozen peas. I am sloughing quickly, need to get some pics posted but not sure how. Does anyone know how I can transfer pics from my Blackberry? Thanks.

HI ckolhoff,

Edamame is so much cooler than peas too ;) I think you should be able to email the pictures to yourself and then save them to your computer and either upload them or send them to me and I can post them for you. Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

-Britt

Brit can you please give me an email address. I have the pics on my email but easier to just have you post. Thanks !

Hi ckolhoff,

Welcome to the community. I'm glad they gave you so much pain medication, otherwise it sounds like it might have hurt. Did you have any downtime or a long recovery? Please keep us updated and if you have pictures that would be great.

Thanks for the review,