If You Have Even Mildly Sensitive Teeth DO NOT DO THIS PROCEDURE - Simi Valley, CA

I went in for a routine checkup and both the...

I went in for a routine checkup and both the assistant and dentist said i had "perfect teeth" for a whitening; I've been noticing my yellowing teeth for some time, I've never had a whitening nor used whitening products other than toothpaste and mouthwash so I decided why the heck not. They told me "some teeth sensitivity will occur" but I was not at ALL prepared for the absolute excruciating pain my mouth would be in. I felt my first "zinger" in the last few minutes of the first block, and as she applied more bleach my teeth began to throb. Thinking that this was the "standard" sensitivity i toughed it out through the second block- by the end of it was nearly in tears. I had to stop (there goes $300) and not only did she apply fluoride and give me ibuprofen, but they had to apply varnish to my teeth to stop the throbbing. Nothing is working so far, I haven't nor will I be able to eat all day, and I'm in so much pain I haven't stop crying since I left the office two hours ago. Not only did i waste $300 but I'm forced to take a PTO day because I can barely move my mouth, let alone talk or function in an office. I'm in my twenties, and my teeth have never displayed this level of sensitivity in my entire life, so this isn't just an overreaction. Please try Crest White Strips or something before you even think about this procedure, especially if you think you may have the slightest teeth sensitivity, because the $50 box of Crest White Strips will work infinitely better and cause you exponentially less pain than this Zoom treatment. The best part is there isn't even a contact over at Zoom i can complain to, and I'm certainly not going to blame my dentist for this.
Unfortunately, most of the people who comment here on RealSelf have experienced zingers, though some have found them worth it after they get over the pain.  I've never tried it since I get fine results with regular at-home bleaching in custom trays.

Could you tell us a little bit about the pre-bleaching process your dentist went through with you before starting the Zoom treatment?
so, the dentist described "zingers" and what i had weren't zingers. It was a constant, sharp, throbbing pain in my teeth. The pain did not go away, or even lessen remotely. I finished the procedure by 10, and by ~3:30 i was in just as much pain as when i left the dentist. I ended up going to Urgent Care (my dentist wasn't returning my phone calls, even though I stated it was emergency-level pain) and the Urgent Care doctor prescribed me an anti-inflammatory, which I combined with ibuprofen to make the pain finally lessen enough that I could get to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, my teeth were so weak they actually felt "spongy", that's the best way I can describe it. my mouth was actually weak all day long and it still hurt to talk at points, but my teeth had stopped throbbing. The prep work was pretty standard, I brushed before going in and she used the scrape tool to pick some light tartar from between my teeth. She then put the mouth widening implement in, tucked in some foam, and painted my gums with the Vitamin E oil and some gummy stuff that adhered to the mouth widening implement. This completely covered my gums, so my gums didn't suffer at all from the UV light. As I was leaving one of the office assistants said that only like 1 in 10 people suffer the level of pain I'd suffered. The doctor I visited in Urgent Care said I probably just had a reaction to the bleach or something in the solution they used on my teeth. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that was the most excruciatingly painful experience I've ever gone through- it was almost twelve solid hours of perpetual pain.
Thank you for the additional detail.  That's awful! :(  And something that especially concerns me is that they said 1 in 10 people experience that kind of pain??  That's 10%!  That's a lot of people!  Did they warn you that that could happen?  And after the twelve hours, was it gone, or was it just bearable?  And did you even get any whitening?  Will you be switching dentists, after the level of customer service you didn't get?