Just Starting my Treatment! - Silver Spring, MD

Hi, I'm Maria and I'm 25. I have always had a gap...

Hi, I'm Maria and I'm 25. I have always had a gap in my front teeth and some crowding in the bottom but I learned to love my teeth and never wanted to go though wire braces I really hate the look, but this year I decided to do something about it IF my insurance covered it and it did!!!

I asked my doctor about Invisalign and she recommended it. I will be in the treatment for 6 months with 7 upper trays and 10 lower ones, which have encouraged me even more. I have 4 buttons in my upper teeth and 3 in the bottom and surprisingly they are not uncomfortable at all when I'm eating. Also I see this as a way of loosing weight and stop biting my nails (which has been very difficult)

I have to admit these first days have been difficult as I have been having pain, and eating is a challenge (I feel like a baby eating soups and soft foods). I have a major lisp which is funny to me and my boyfriend.

My dentist is the best, since the very beginning she has answered all my questions and giving me advise. In addition, her assistant is going through her treatment and she was wonderful too. Today, 2-21-13, I have to visit her because my lower tray is really scratching my tongue, is that normal??? My dentist told me to go to the office and they will fix my trays.

I posted my first picture and will be posting more with updates, I'm thinking about doing a YouTube video. I'm so glad I found this community :)

Dr. Kinjal Shah

Her husband and her have been my dentist since I was a little girl

What type of insurance do you have ?

How is your treatment going, chepita472? I'd love to hear an update from you! :)

Good luck to you with your treatment! Once you get started, time flies by. If your trays have sharp edges, you can lightly file the problem area with a emory board nail file and smooth it out.
The time will go by very quickly. The first few months, I felt like it would never end. Now I look back and wonder where the time went. I still have bad days, but I have a LOT of days that I don't even realize I'm wearing them until I go to eat something. You'll develop a system that works for you (how to take them out, how long you can comfortably leave them out, how to brush/floss in less time but still do a thorough job). There is LOT of information on this site. Good luck. Keep your teeth clean! Someone told me..."you don't want to go through all this work, only to have rotten teeth or lots of root canals later." Sounds like you have a great dentist also. One suggestion...take pictures after every tray. You'll be amazed at how different you look. Sometimes I don't feel like they are moving at all until I look at the previous picture. Amazing! Good luck! Keep us updated.
Thank you!!! I will take pictures :)

Glad to hear your dentist could make the trays more comfortable for you.

Keep us posted!

How exciting for you!  You will love your teeth even more after your treatment.  Sorry to hear about the scratching on your tongue. Others have mentioned the same thing.  Here is some further information regarding this issue:

Help please - How do I deal with sharp tray edges?

What's the deal with the sharp edges?

Should the Invisalign Tray Edges Be Sharp?

Thank you!!! I actually went to my dentist and she make them more smooth for this tray and the following two that I have with me. Boy!! it made a difference!!