Pre Op...1 More Day! - Billings, MT

This is my first blog...EVER! As I have been...

This is my first blog...EVER! As I have been researching breast reductions and trying to gather as much information (the good and the bad) as I could find, I seem to gravitate to blogs. Maybe it's the personal touch that everyone puts into it. It's the real concerns, real fears, real excitement, real results from real women that have prompted me to go outside my box and comfort zone and write this blog.

I am 41 years old. Been married to my HS sweetheart for 23 years. We have 4 children (21, 18, 13 & 11) and one grand-daughter. I'm 5 foot 2 inches tall, 210 pounds wearing a 42 DDD-G. I have had large breasts, even in my thinner years. I have contemplated a breast reduction for years, but thought I wouldn't be a candidate due to my weight. This June, I was talking with a girlfriend (you know how girls can talk) and found out that she had a breast reduction about 7 years ago. The light went on! I asked her all sorts of questions. Who her Doctor was, was it painful, how the recovery time was, any downfalls, would she do it again...LOTS of questions! Her answer to "would she do it again" sealed the deal for me. She said that it was the best decision she ever made!

Would a breast reduction help with my constant headaches, back and neck pain, occasional under breast rashes, the need to double up on sports bras to work out, feeling like my boobs were huge and clothes not fitting correctly? So many questions going through my mind.

I got the number of the surgeon that she used. I was SO nervous to call and make an appointment for a consultation. When I called and spoke with the office staff I found out that the surgeon she used didn't have a consultation open for about 6 months! They said that his partner had one, 4 months out. I made the call in June, and wouldn't even have a consult until September but I made the appointment! This would give me plenty of time to chicken out. To my surprise, I received a call on June 26th asking me if I could make the drive up to their office (150 miles from where I live) and meet with the doctor on June 28th! I said YES!

I was nervous to meet with the doctor. Even after having 4 children (2 which I nursed until 14 months each), just whipping out the girls wasn't so natural. My doctor asked me lots of questions, took lots of measurements and to my surprise...or relief, he said that I would be a perfect candidate for a breast reduction. His estimate to remove 750 grams from the left and 650 from the right side to leave me with a large C cup...possibly a small D cup scared the crap out of me. That's a lot of boobies! After some further discussion, I met with the office staff to set up my surgery date...September 18, 2013! I WAS EXCITED! Now to see if my insurance company would cover this procedure.

I spoke with my chiropractor and my OBGYN, both agreed that a breast reduction would benefit me immediately as well in long term health goals. They wrote supporting letters and documentation that were included into my file with the plastic surgeons request and sent off to my insurance company. Well about 2 1/2 weeks later I got the great news! Because of the documentation and the amount of breast tissue that would be taken off to obtain a C-D cup, my surgery would be considered a medical procedure and not just an elective procedure AND would be covered under our health insurance plan! So it's really going to happen...taming of the girls!

My husband, kids, family and friends have been so supportive and are excited for me. I can't wait for the big day. A few concerns have come up for me. I am so used to my current body and the way it looks. Will my smaller boobs make my stomach look even bigger. Because right now, they are like a top shelf and hide my mid section to an extent. Am I going to have more self body image issue? As I have been trying to process this I have come to a conclusion...my stomach will be sticking out and exercise will be my friend to get rid of that. With the breast reduction, exercise will be easier and I can make it happen. I will feel better about myself and look forward to a smaller chest. There is no magic wand...my journey is just starting and I am excited!

Drum roll - two weeks out pre-op. I have spoken with the nurse for the PS. She went over my medical history and asked about any concerns. My biggest concern is that my surgery isn't scheduled until noon, and I wont be able to have any liquid (or food) from midnight on. I have crappy veins. They like to hide and roll. When I am dehydrated, it just magnifies that problem. I asked if I could at least drink water early in the morning to help prevent the potential dehydration. She said probably not..but that when I talk with the hospital nurse, ask her more specifically and see if they will allow it. As for now, I plan to drink gallons of water leading up to midnight on the 17th!

I have been trying to think of everything that needs to be taken care of prior to surgery. Because I will be traveling out of town for the surgery, we will be staying in a hotel the night after surgery. So no comforts of home, like my own bed. Making sure I have the little things like a heating pad, some jello to eat after surgery and ice packs for the 1st night...my list will go on. My kids will be taken care of and with today's technology, we will get to face-time at night. I have taken off 1 week of work...I wonder if that will be enough time. I sit at a desk and don't need to lift anything (only work 6 hrs per day). I guess only time will tell.

I plan to post picture and blog along the way with what's going on and if it's smooth sailing or a little bumpy road along the recovery path. Thanks for reading and any comments or questions are always welcome!

Surgery day -post op day 2

Well the surgery went well! I arrived at the surgery clinic at 11:30am at which time the nurse took me back to get me set up for Well the surgery went well! I arrived at the surgery clinic at 11:30am at which time the nurse took me back to get me set up for surgery. She took the normal vitals and of course asked if I had any questions. I shared with her my history of poor veins and how they like to roll and hide. Let me tell you...I drank so much water in hopes to provide good veins for today. She got the IV on the first shot! Thank goodness!!! Once the IV was in, she brought my husband back to my room. Lets just say that day time TV is really boring. We did watch a few minutes of Days of our Lives...not much has changed on that soap opera.
I was scheduled to go in for surgery at 12:45....but they didn't come back to get me until 1:30. I got a little bit nervous and teary eyed as I was giving my husband a kiss good bye. I am typically a big cry baby...but not so much today. I was just excited to get the surgery done.
The nurse walked me back to the OR room. It was cold in the room. They had me hop up on the table which was shaped like a "T". I was very thankful when they put the heated blankets on me and then some other contraption that would blow warm air on me throughout surgery. They placed the oxygen mask over my nose and mouth. The anesthesiologist said that he was putting something in to help relax me...but it wasn't the good stuff yet. I remember getting all warm and fuzzy....
I remember waking up in recovery and asking what time it was...4:10. My eyes couldn't concentrate or focus. They moved me to stage 2 recovery where I put my clothes on. I remember saying that my boobs were so small. I was wearing a front latching sports type bra and then wrapped in a large ace bandage. I felt so constricted! I think it was just a bit too tight. I finally got to see my husband and we just hung out in stage 2 recovery until about 7:45pm. Finally time to go home...or in this case go to the hotel located right next door!
I slept off and on through out the night. I stayed on top on the pain meds and would snack on crackers, jello and pudding. I caught myself dozing off while going to the bathroom! Guess I still has some side effects from the anesthesia...lol. I wanted my husband to get some rest as I know it was a stressful day for him as well.
My follow up with the Plastic surgeon was scheduled for 11am. The nurse took me and my husband back to the room. She unwrapped the ace bandage...and she said whoever wrapped me...they did it too tight. I felt so much better once it was off!
Now for the big reveal...Frankin-boobies!! Now my husband doesn't like blood or anything surgery related...but he got to check them out as well. There is puckering around the bottoms and the nipples...but I think they look pretty good! I already have some bruising and they are pretty hard. The Dr came in and seemed very please with the outcome. I have feeling in my nipples :). He said to come back for a check up in 3 weeks. The nurse fit me for 2 bras. We went for the 40C.
Time to head home! On a funny note, we stopped at Perkins to have lunch/breakfast. My husband had to keep waking me up because I kept dozing off while eating. He thought it was pretty funny. Now for the 2 hour drive home...which I slept during the majority of.
I slept pretty well the first night home. Took in pain med in the middle of the night. I would wake up about every 2 hours...because I had to go pee!
I'm not in a lot of pain. I feel so light up top and my shoulders don't have the weight pulling them down.
I think I can get used to this!
I think I can get used to this!

Post op Day3

Well the honeymoon is over! Today has been a tough day. The Frankin-boobies are really swollen today. I have had to loosen the bra twice today because it has just been tight and uncomfortable. I would really like to just take my bra off for an hour and the the girls breathe and relax. My husband says no...and darn it he listened to the doctor be very specific on weakening it 24/7 unless I am in the shower. I woke up this morning and my boobs were just over sensitive. I took one pain med and went back to sleep. I knew today would be busy...

We had a busy day today. Actually out of the house for a volleyball tournament that started at 9am. I made it until about 11:30am, then I came home to take an hour nap. I can't believe how tired I am. Today was hard for me to not be on the go and doing my typical mom activities. After my nap, I went back to the tournament and watched the final two games.
I felt like my boobs were swollen up to my neck and arm pits...probably a little exaggerated...but that's what it feels like. Came home took a pain med and a 2 hour nap! Woke up feeling much better :). I did l notice after my morning shower that my boobs were almost completely covered in dark brown and yellow bruises. My husband fixed a delicious streak dinner...just what the doctor ordered!
I am finding out that I get cold very easily. Don't know why or what the causes it, but let me tell you...THO is PAINFUL! I think this is something that I will need to watch as it gets colder. I live in Wyoming after all...and the winters are long.
Maybe I am a bit melancholy today. It's hard not to be 100%. I do know that I don't regret the surgery on bit! I am still amazed that the pain in my shoulders, neck and back are gone. I have not had a single migraine to speak of either. Tomorrow will be a new day...and at this point I need to take it one day at a time. Well if this blog is all over the place...blame it on the meds I took about 30 min ago. Good night :)

Pics

Here are some pics

My incision is leaking!

Ok ladies...last night before bed (post op day 5) I went to check the nursing pad that I have over my nipple area...it was full of a pinkish liquid! It freaked me out. I had my husband look at the incision and you can see this drainage leaking out towards the bottom of the nipple/aeroela just above the verticals line. I put on clean dressing and went to bed.
I called the dr/nurse at 8:15am....didn't hear back until 11am....grrrr. I explained what was going on to the nurse. She asked if I had fever - no, notice redness in the breast or additional swelling-not really, foul smell-no. She said that they can leak from time to time and that if I notice a change in the amount, smell, swelling additional pain or fever to call them ASAP. The drainage is like a clear liquid mixed with a little blood.
She suggested Bactrian ointment ( think that's what it was called...thankfully husband works at a pharmacy and knows what I need) . She said to try that for a few days and basically wait and see.
Has anyone experienced this before?? What happened and how was it treated? My other breast is doing great!
Dr Muscot