Post-op Double Jaw Surgery for a Large Underbite :) - Selden, NY

My experience- I had been debating this surgery...

My experience- I had been debating this surgery for years and when i turned 20 i talked to my mom about wanting to learn about it more. We made an appointment with my orthodontist and that was the first step. I had to wear braces and believe me as a 20 year old in college thats the last thing i wanted but I was all in for this and wanted to just get it started. After wearing the braces I had to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed and believe me that was TOUGHHHH!!! But that was something that passed fast and i was eating a day later. Then I met my surgeons and was blown away. These 2 men helped me make a life changing decision and I owe them alot. Along with an incredibly funny worker in their office named Greg who over the months of visiting my parents and i came very close with. Before the surgery Dr. Capuano asked me If I wanted to take a special xray that would allow the doctors to perform the surgery digitally on my face before they even performed it on me for real. I chose to do it and I was not forced to whatsoever. Im glad I did because they performed the surgery digitally and knew excatly how they wanted to perform the surgery now in incredible detail. It was pretty amazing. So my surgery day came and I was focused. BIGGEST THING IS YOU HAVE TO BE READY. If your not just wait. This is something that will take all of your being and you need to be 100% ready to consider such a surgery. My surgery finished in alittle over an hour which was incredibly fast thanks to the special xray i took :) The quickness of the surgery allowed me have not as much swelling as well which was a plus.

I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and believe me it is tough. I barely drank much cause i wasnt hungry and didnt want to get nausuas. The first 2 days were very much a hell having your jaws wired shut and barley being able to breath is not easy.

I remained focused though and after 2 days i went home. This was such a relief as I really just wasnted my own bed at this point. I was still in pain but to be honest the swelling in general was the toughest part. I just wanted to be able to breathe easier. But the doctor said within 2 weeks you lose half the swelling which i did and was VERY thankful for. The first weeks were tough getting used to not eating and sleeping upright and all. But once I got used to it it wasnt so bad. I blended berries, cereal, muffins anything that was tastey and really never felt deprived of food while eating through a syringe. I alsoh ave a postive outlook on life and a "it can always be worst" mindset so that certainly helps :) ...2 weeks later i started to leave the house, going to stores, walking the track just doing what i could to feel alittle back to normal. Although embarrassing in public with my chipmunk face haha...A couple weeks later I felt really completely normal just aside from not being able to eat still. Oh, i lost 25 pounds but gained it back quick so dont worry its not hard to maintain the weight...During these weeks i was regularly seeing Dr. Gish and Dr. Capuano and they were a great relief to just hear that i was making progress. As the weeks went by i lived my life normal I even (AND I DONT RECOMMEND THIS) went to 6 flags with my friend 6 weeks post-op and road all the rides! haha...Looking back that probably wasnt safe but I just wanted to enjoy my summer finally! I occasionally went to the beach and basically did everything I normally did just not eating, which sucked when i went to barbecues and had to watch everyone eat haha....8 weeks later I was finally told I could get the wires cut, YESSSS! I was alittle swollen but ya know I could open my mouth! barely for the first few days but it was still an amazing feeling. I feeling of accomplishment and a feeling of never having to think about this again. 4 weeks after my wires were cut I met my beautiful girlfriend and the rest is history! Very happy and very ready for the next chapter in my life! :)

Pros:
-life changing
-because you need braces you get a nice smile :)
-improved facial looks
-avoiding future issues over overusing back teeth
-more proportional face
-confidence boost
-incredible doctors and staff
-incredible nurses! (MAKE SURE YOU STAY IN A SINGLE PERSON ROOM IF YOU CAN WITH ONE ON ONE ATTENTION)

Cons-
-Process is very difficult at the beginning and takes alot of will power
-my nose is alittle different, not a huge con but I kinda liked my old nose shape more. defiantly ass the doctor if he plans to touch your nose in anyway!
-weight lose
-jaw wired shut
-swelling
-first 2 days
-braces, retainer

Hope I could help someone out there! :) willing to answers any questions!

just more post-op photos!!

One Year!!!

I am officially just over a year since my surgery! Its been a long journey but wow this last year went fast! haha I have a new job, finishing up college this year and am living a great life :) I have no side effects or any issues from my surgery now a year later and that alone is a blessing. I apologize for not smiling in my pictures but believe me I am happy :P haha
Dr. Gish, Dr. Capuano

Dr. Mario J. Capuano, DDS in Selden, NY and Dr Joshua Gish DDS, Selden, NY; my doctors were incredible; Two men that live and breath what they do. Incredibly knowledgeable and very nice people. Dr. Capuano actually had a similar surgery to mine as a young teen so that connection meant alot to me because he knew what I would be going through. These doctors really care about their patients and i owe them alot!!!! :)