Tattoos Are Quite the Commitment - Seattle, WA

Everyone was 22 once right? Well I still am 22 and...

Everyone was 22 once right? Well I still am 22 and I feel like an idiot. I had been dreaming about getting a tattoo ever since middle school, telling myself that I would be smart and wait until I was 21 to get one, so that I wouldn't make a hasty decision. I researched and researched different artists, after deciding on an idea about two years ago. The artist is amazing and I would recommend her to anyone, the fact is that I do not want a tattoo of this size on my body. I have been struggling with this tattoo for two months now, scouring these reviews, not sleeping, constantly anxious. I tried so hard to make myself love it but I just don't think it'll ever happen. I finally got the nerve to make a consultation for removal. The place was very nice and ha Picosure, which was my main concern. The doctor was super friendly and helpful then BAM, the price came, 500 for each half. Making it 1000 per treatment. I mean jesus christ, I am sort of at a loss to do now. They don't use the Q switch anymore and the lady was like because its so new we should act fast. I would love your feedback and support... sorry for the bad quality photo, the tattoo is on my thigh and is like 11x8

Thoughts

thanks for all the comments and support, like you all said, I need to take more time and really think it through. I think saving money is more important right now and I need to come to terms with these feelings as they may stem from other things. I'll keep you all posted, good luck in your own removal journeys!

Hi there! We all know the pain and anxiety you are feeling! Like Tena G says, go to more than one consult. I paid a difference of $500 by visiting different offices. I now do Picosure, which is $800 a treatment, but I haven't noticed the drastic fading I thought I would with the Pico. I think your tattoo is really pretty, but I understand if you are unhappy. Good luck, and once you get started in the removal process, those feelings of depression and self hate will start to go away. Stay on this site! There are so many great people on here to help you. I will be thinking of you! Keep us posted!
I'm not sure how new the tattoo is but the day after I got my tattoo I regretted it so i rubbed peroxide and sea salt on it and it faded a good bit...not what a laser would do, but i think it will help me lessen the treatment numbers. I don't think there will be any significant price increase if you wait. Go to various laser centers, don't just stick to one. I was paying $250 for a tattoo maybe 1/4 the size of yours. I had 6 sessions with them before finding a new laser center that is just as good if not better for only $75 per session. Shop around and save up before making a decision!
The person who told you to act fast is giving you a piece of advice that's in the extreme minority. Most people recommend putting a decent amount of time between the tattoo and the removal. A lot of ink will get pushed out naturally during the first six months and laser treatment during that time is a waste. You should try showing off the tattoo a bit while you have it. Once you start the removal, it's going to be a laser wound for the better part of a year. You should try to get some mileage out of the (quite nice) design.. and if that makes you more comfortable in your current skin, then that's good too. Just def don't get it filled in if you're not completely sure ;)
Well the devastating feeling I so understand. I certainly didn't wait long to get it treated but my sanity at the time needed me to act fast. I got mine done November 7 last year and the end of January this year I started the long journey ahead. It is a long journey and a long commitment to remove a tattoo. But we are young. It will be ok. If you need time give yourself time, do what feels best for you. Only you know your thoughts. Best of luck
I am going to say the same. Take some time. I would say 6 months to a year. when I first got my tattoo, I was devastated..depressed, couldn't eat, sleep or do anything..About after a month, I started to slowly come out of the funk but I still have bad days. I have had my tattoo for 4 months. I like the design, hate the size and placement. I have decided to put removal on the back burner for now and live with it. Try not to let it consume you. It's a pretty tattoo. I understnad that you don't like it but it's really not an awful tattoo by any stretch. Removal is a commitment, both financial and emotional. Once you start, there is no turning back. it is not a quick, easy fix. Maybe one day it will be. I am hoping that more technology is developed to remove tattoos as I truly believe there will be an even more larger market in about 5-10 years. Good Luck ! keep us posted. We are here for support.
I am pretty much just echoing what everyone else has said about definitely taking your time to decide about removal and not letting anyone pressure you. My tattoo is about ten years old and I have been wanting to remove it for about 6 years. I have thought about it for A LONG time, ha. I weighed the pros and cons of removal, wanted to wait for better technology and save $$. My treatment with PicoSure is also 1,000.00 dollars a session plus I am buying plane tickets and a rental car every time I go for a Session. When I tell people that Everyone is always like "wow, you must really want it gone!" Which I do. I however, am hoping for complete removal and would get rid of all of my tattoo's if I had the money. Your tattoo is pretty by the way.
Eva explained everything fantastically. It will take time to get used to such a big tattoo. I would suggest thinking about what's more important to you - saving such a huge amount of money or being wihout the tattoo again. I'm not sure how much faster it will go as it is new, but never feel pressured to rush into treatment. It's your body and you need to take time to think about it as it's a long and difficult process. Good luck whichever path you take, please keep us updated!

Welcome :) Thank you for sharing your story. Don't beat yourself up, I suggest you take time to adjust to having a tattoo, it is a huge change on your body and it takes time to getting used to. Your tattoo looks like it would be very pretty once finished, however if it's too big I completely get it. To confirm, they are using only the Picosure laser? $1000 is alot, I feel for you, but he Picosure laser is more expensive. I am being treated with the Alex TriVantage and having ok results. My tattoo was also new and has color- so that makes for a more challenging removal. There is no evidence to confirm if new or older tattoos respond better to removal, I would not factor that into your decision and rush into removal, as oneTime2Many said, don't rush this. Full removal is not guaranteed, everyone responds differently and you have to consider what you will do if the tattoo only fades and you left with ink. For me, I was open to a cover up right from the start of removal, I just couldn't stand my tattoo, I did not go into removal with only 100% clearance in mind. I echo oneTime2Many's comment - give yourself time, and don't rush this. The regret and mental/emotional stress you are going through is pretty common, regret is a hard pill to swallow.  Accepting your situation and moving forward is all you can do, change your thoughts and you will start to feel better.

Check out this discussion http://www.realself.com/forum/mental-emotional-distress-w-the-process

That tattoo looks like it would be removed quickly as it is only black. I have had one treatment with picosure ($700) on my knee tattoo which is also too big for me. I am wondering if the YAG would be better and less expensive since it is just black. Did you want to get tattoos later on? I was thinking of fading mine and getting several tattoos to cover the area. I still like tattoos I just want smaller ones. That could be an option. Good luck as OneTime2Many said you must have patience and we are all in the same boat. I felt depressed but getting more optimistic everyday. Good luck!
Hi-a lot of ppl on here are going through removal so we can def offer support and advice. Just know that not only is removal expensive, it's very trying on one's patience. It takes massive amts of patience and dedication. You not only have to prepare financially but mentally too. Don't let those techs pressure you....there is no evidence that newer ink fades better than older ink. If anything, most experts say the opposite. Don't ever let a tech pressure you, period. I would suggest you take a moment and check out the reviews on here...esp if yr tatt is brand new...who knows you may end up liking it...? If not, removal will always be an option. Just don't rush anything if yr not prepared...physically, mentally, and financially. Once you start you cannot turn back.