Large Color Coverup - Seattle, WA

2.5 months ago I got a cover up on my left...

2.5 months ago I got a cover up on my left arm/shoulder. My previous tattoo was embarrassing, a superman symbol with the letter R for my first name. I got it when I was 18, my older brother got a bunch of tattoos so I followed him.

This current tattoo is HUGE and all colors... like all colors. It looks nice, but wow, my regret is horrible. I got my previous tattoo faded, had 5 treatments and 1 pico treatment. I stopped for about 5 months and for some reason decided a cover up was the best solution. I found an awesome artist, got a great design, but you know what, it's just tattoos that are the problem, I don't want anything on me. To be fair, if it wasn't on my arm I really wouldn't care.

I'm going to a great law school in a year and am already stressing about hiding my ink in a professional environment. I can't believe I stopped the removal process and now have a GIANT colored tattoo that will take 3 years to get rid of!

I went to a consultation this morning. I felt good just thinking about the laser, but I understand how unrealistic full removal is. I have a ton of colors and a large tattoo, I'm screwed. Well, I got quoted an amazing price for the tattoo, $600.

Guys, I thought I was through the regret. I was making progress with removal but I got weak and got it covered, thinking I could find a shortcut to my regret.

I'd really like some opinions on just how long this would take if it even did come off... It's hard to find results before/after because those of us who have done removal understand it takes much longer than advertised.

Welcome :) I am with everyone else, the Picosure sounds like a safe bet...it destroys blue and purple. Check out these reviews:
half sleeve tattoo removal with picosure laser
Attempting to Remove a Cover-Up with Picosure - Vienna, VA
Blown Away - Chicago, IL
Picosure RealSelf Video

Good Luck!

Couple of questions/comments. I have my first treatment on August 1. I've had previous laser removal done, so honestly, once I got over that initial "why the fuck didn't I just continue the laser instead of a cover up" I was brought back to my life when I first told my parents that I didn't like my tattoos because I feel like it defines me. After some time I thought it was just the tattoos I had, but now after this giant cover up, I realize that it's tattoos in general, or at least, those in very public areas. Honestly, I wouldn't care at all if this tattoo wasn't on my car, but alas, it is. I have a question about the picosure, it seems to be treating certain colors (purple/blue/green) better than black. Is that my own naive hopes, or does that seem to be accurate? I've seen some colors fade an incredibly amount. Second question, and probably impossible to answer, but do you think I will be able to get FULL removal? I'm willing to put in the time, 3-4 years is what I expect, but I want to know if it's actually reasonable to assume that all of this ink can actually be removed? Looking at my arm, it just seems... impossible. Well, I guess we'll see!
*on my arm, not my car...
Coming from someone who also has a very large and colorful cover up, I think you have a really good chance of fading this tattoo. You have a lot of purple in it, which is really good, that should all be gone by the first or second treatment (if your'e using picosure). The blue should go fairly easy too. The only thing that is concerning are the dense black areas. The laser should be able to remove this, but for me, the areas where I had dense black are starting to leave hyperpigmentation. It's what some people refer to as "ghosting." I'm hoping that this will clear, as well. But, I realize, with a dense tattoo like mine, it will never be completely gone. I have had 6 picosure treatments and I will need many more. My advice to you is, if you like this tattoo, save yourself the hassle and keep it. If you don't like the tattoo, be realistic about what you can achieve with removal. You always have the option of having a beautiful cover up, which I realize may be a scary idea since both you and I have had bad experiences with cover ups. I wish you the best of luck. I would love to see how your tattoo responds to picosure.
Do you have any pictures? I actually have done removal before, it was only on black, and it's basically completely removed after 5 alexendrite and 1 pico treatment. You know, I just don't want anything on my arms... it's all about placement for me right now. I like the tattoo on my chest, but it's just WAY too much on my arm. I'm going to be in law school next year, so I'm going to be huddled in the library all day, so, honestly, I think I might just use these next couple of years to see this through. My only question is this, can you get FULL removal if you do laser treatments for 3 years? I'm willing to undergo that process, but I'd just like to know if it's actually possible. It's hard to say because the pico just came out so no one has undergone treatment for that long. The black on mine goes over color or is just single lines, so we'll see what happens. Regardless, I'm going to give it a shot. I'm not really embarrassed at all, but, I do want to have my arms free.
Hi there, I am also in Seattle. Where did you get a consult? I am going to Seattle Skin and Laser, similar price for a big, colorful, dense tattoo. I don't know about how long to expect- you have some dense colors and thick lines, so that could take awhile... but your colors are mostly Pico-easily treated and you don't have a lot of dense black outlines (which I do). 3 years is probably a good plan, from my experience. I am almost one year into treatments and have a LONG way to go- but significant progress. So maybe one or two more years. I might go for a cover-up instead- I plan to revisit the idea after 2-4 more treatments. I love tattoos, just hated this particular one (love my other one) and Seattle-ites have so many beautiful tattoos, it inspires me... Anyways, good luck!
I think your chances are pretty good with the Picosure (it seems to obliterate blues/purples/greens). I wouldn't worry too much about the legal profession...you have three years in law school to get rid of it. And just so you know, I'm a government lawyer...I'm in trial almost every day handling high profile cases and my tattoo on my ring finger has never cost me my job or gotten big cases removed from my docket. I wear a ring over it but its still slightly visible. Your tattoo on the other hand, would be completely covered in a legal office....long sleeved shirts and jackets are routine.
I'm surprised by your optimism haha, but thanks. I'm more than willing to start the process, but I'd like to know if I gave this process 2-3 years, would it actually be gone? I'm just trying to remove everything on the arm. You know, I've read that pico seems to work better on green/purple/blue than it does on black... I'm not sure how dense the colors are though. Well, your tattoo is just a ring haha, mines a giant color glob. I'm thinking this is a sign from god, forcing me to focus on my studies in law school, get this thing off in 3 years and move on.