Didn't Know Not to Go to a Medi-spa - Seattle, WA

Note: make sure you read the updates below, as I...

Note: make sure you read the updates below, as I had the treatment again in 2012 with much better results.

About 6 years ago I decided to do laser hair removal. Like most women, I was sick of shaving & waxing so a permanent solution was very appealing. I had my underarms and bikini area done. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the results would differ depending on who did the treatment. I thought laser hair removal was laser hair removal, end of story.

I was wrong, clearly, and my results didn't last. I can't tell any difference at all now. I have considered trying it again but this time at a doctors office, but haven't wanted to plunk down the chunk of change for something that may or may not work. If you decide to do it I would highly recommend not making the same mistake I did by going to a medi-spa.

Updated 4/10/12

Trying again, with the LightSheer Duet Laser!

A board certified dermatologist's office was running a special on laser hair removal and I decided to give it a shot. I'm having my underarms treated. I figured if I see great results from that it will be worth it to have the bikini area done.

I bought a package of 6 treatments (usually runs $500) and had my first one done today. One of her staff members, performed the actual treatment. It was super, super fast. It barely hurt, but the weird thing was the suction from the machine. They told me it would suction me, which I thought was weird, but it also kind of twists your skin, or at least feels that way. Like I said, not painful at all, just weird.

They have you take your deodorant off and recommend you don't immediately re-apply, so make sure you aren't going anywhere you would really need it afterwards. The other kinda weird thing was that you can't spray tan for 2 weeks before. I knew about not doing regular tanning, but didn't know about spray tanning. I just went last night, so that was kind of a bummer, but since I do the lightest color, and its not sprayed right on my armpits the doctor felt it was fine to go ahead with treatment.

My armpits don't hurt at all right now. They don't look red at all, everything is completely normal. I'll keep you posted on what I'm seeing - hopefully this works well! :)

Updated 10/18/12

Today I had my last treatment that was in the package of 6 that I bought. Thus far I have had really good reduction. There is definitely still hair, but it is considerably sparser and finer. For me, this is great. Before I couldn't shave everyday or I would get red bumps from the irritation, but I needed to shave if my underarms would possibly be seen, otherwise it was yuck-o stubble! Now I can easily skip a day, maybe even two, but could definitely shave daily if I wanted to.

I'm of course hoping to see a bit more reduction after today's appointment, but even if I don't I would still be happy with the change I received. They turned the machine up even a bit higher this time since I had tolerated the other setting fine. It was definitely uncomfortable, but since it goes by so quick its not a big deal. I would say that at the highest level I received it is slightly more uncomfortable than sugaring/waxing.

I'm going to be curious to see how long the results last. Knowing my body I am guessing I will have to go in for yearly touch-ups, but that is fine and well worth the reduction in hair!!

Updated 3/18/13

Unfortunately the hair has started to grow back. It still seems less than it originally was, but I was hoping to have the reduction I saw at the end of the treatment last for at least a full year, then have the regrowth I'm seeing now start in the next year...oh well. I'm considering doing another round, but am holding off because I'm not sure the cost is worth it. It if were less expensive I would just do it regularly, and view it as a maintenance thing.