Hi, New Here - Seattle, WA

My surgery is probably going to happen in...

My surgery is probably going to happen in November, haven't set the date yet.
I have read almost every post on here and have found them very useful and inspiring. One question that I have is how you take vitamins, is it liquid or pills?
I have been reading as much as possible on many websites about this surgery and feel well informed except for the question of vitamins.
Would love to hear from you.

Just a picture of me

Reasons

I have chosen to have gastric bypass because of my health issues. They are diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea to name a few. For a long time I wanted to have the banding, but found out that it would not make the diabetes go away. Dr. Chang said that gastric bypass is the only one that will do that. I really never wanted to by rearranged inside, but here I am in that process.
I am very happy and very nervous about this surgery. Reading all the great reviews, even the ones where someone had issues lets me know that I am not alone in this!

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

Good luck with your surgery, I hope you get a date soon! With regards to the vitamins, you usually have to take either liquid of chewable forms, after the surgery, but it may depend on your doctor also.

I'm actually having the Gastric Sleeve surgery. I didn't want the Lap Band, but I also didn't want, what I considered, the high risks of the bypass, so I went with the Gastric Sleeve, which gives very similar results to the bypass. It all really comes down to personal choice.

Good luck and please do keep us updated with your progress!

Thank you Kirsty, for the information, I kind of figured it had to be one of those for vitamins. I found Unjury Protein on the internet and they have chewable vities for people who have had wls. Have you heard of them?

I have heard of them, yes. I didn't know they did vitamins though, I knew of them primarily for their protein. I'm not actually a big fan of their protein, but in general I find protein shakes hard to tolerate.

Approval

Today I saw the psychiatrist and the nutritionist in Seattle. They both said I was a good candidate for bypass surgery. Now the next thing is get a surgery date set!

Dr. Lily Chang

Met with her on September 13th, 2013 for the first time. She was kind and very informative about the surgery.