Fat Transfer to Breasts - Seattle, WA

I am a 39 year old who breastfed 3 babies, and was...

I am a 39 year old who breastfed 3 babies, and was looking quite deflated. (Small B cup, but my breasts looked like balloon 5 days after the party!) I also have chubby thighs and hips, and my stomach has a pooch that doesn't ever go away, even with exercise, so losing some fat while getting larger breasts seemed like the ideal way to go! I didn't really want implants, though I went to three doctors for consultations before deciding on the fat transfer, and got an idea of what size I could get with an implant. The implants would look good, I'm sure, and have the benefit of a reliable size, but I am wary of having foreign objects in my body, having to possibly redo them in 10 years, etc.

I also had a consult with the first doctor for a tummy tuck, but reading the reviews of recovery made that sound very painful, and as I have a toddler, and am a SAHM, I knew I wouldn't be able to have lots of downtime to recover. My husband is great, but can't take tons of time off work to help me!

I have before pictures I will post soon, and will post some after pictures in the coming days and months, as well.

So, I decided on the third doctor I visited, Dr. Sowder. She's very personable and I liked the results of her other patients for lipo and fat transfer, though fat transfers to breasts are still new so there are not a lot of pictures out there!

I had lipo to my outer thighs, hips, abs and flanks. I had sore thighs as soon as surgery was over, but everything else wasn't too bad. Now, less than 12 hours later, everything that was operated on hurts, but it's not excruciating pain. I am not sleeping well, though -- keep waking up before it's time for another round of pain pills. I find it easier to handle the pain if I'm distracted so I'm lying on the couch with my laptop. Hopefully I'll be feeling better soon (not eyeing the clock, waiting for my next dose of drugs!).

I go for my follow up Friday, so will post more then, as well as my before pics!

Had a rough night, first night post surgery. I...

Had a rough night, first night post surgery. I really don't like percocet, the pain pills my dr. prescribed, as it makes me vomit. I got anti-nausea meds, too, but they didn't seem to counteract the percocet. I had some vicodin left over from oral surgery last year, so I switched to that, though it's not as strong as the percocet. It doesn't make me nauseated, though! I'll ask my dr. about drugs tomorrow at my post-op appt.

I'm definitely sore today, feeling like I've been beaten with a lead pipe, not that I've been beaten with a pipe before, so I can't say that for sure! :) I took off my compression garment to wash it and take a shower. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of my breasts, though i know they won't stay that big. The rest of my body is still puffy and fat looking, so I hope all my donor sites will look slimmer when the swelling goes down. I felt light-headed and woozy after my shower, when I was attempting to bandage up that areas that were "oozy". After lying down for a few minutes, I was able to get the bandages on and my compression garment in place. Now, I'm relaxing with some ice packs on my sorest areas - each thigh, my stomach and my back. I'm not sure why my back hurts (the spine). It may be that my mattress isn't very supportive anymore and I'm not used to sleeping on my back.

Today, day two post-op, I feel so much better! ...

Today, day two post-op, I feel so much better! Just like I've been working out hard. However, every time I sit down or stand up again, my thighs and back hurt a lot. If I stay in one position, I'm fine. I actually drove a bit today, because I had to take my son to an appointment and my husband had already taken the morning off work to take me to the dr., so couldn't take more time off. I feel fine after the long appointment (mostly sitting around for a few hours, but I had to stand up/sit down several times, which is the hardest part for me right now) and driving, but I'm trying not to push myself too hard. The stitches I have (a single stitch in each liposuction spot and couple on the breasts where the fat was "piped in") are a bit itchy today, as well. I had a follow up with my dr. and she said everything looks good and that today would probably be my worst day for swelling. Hope that is true! I go in again next Wednesday to have my stitches removed.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow of my still swollen body, but I want to remember my boobs at their largest!

Feeling better every day, though it's still very...

Feeling better every day, though it's still very painful when I move around - sit down, move from sitting to standing, bending, etc. My stitches are very itchy, but I only have a few days until they come out on Wednesday.

Feeling better every day! I looked pretty good...

Feeling better every day! I looked pretty good this morning when I first got up and took off my garment to shower - the boobs are still big, and my stomach was pretty flat. I will miss the size when the breasts go down, but they are so much better than what I started with! Now, I don't get dimpled flesh when I lift my arms over my head. I hope they'll stay that way! I'm starting to second guess not using Brava for that reason, but we'll see.
Adding some pictures I just took - I don't look as good as first thing in the morning, as my stomach is a bit fatter looking, but it gives a good idea of the breast size. Plus you can see the pretty yellow bruises I have! I have giant brown ones on each thigh. Ouch! Get my stitches out tomorrow, and I can't wait! The ones on my back feel like they're pulling out every time I bend over or sit down.

I'm almost a month out from my surgery. My...

I'm almost a month out from my surgery. My swelling is down, but things look good! Now I just have to see how much I retain in the coming months! My dr. told me she added 280 CC to one breast and 310 CC to the other - don't remember which is which. That was the size implant I would get if I was going to do implants - 300, so I hope I keep some of the size!

My thighs are still a little sore, and my lower back doesn't have all the feeling back yet - feels a little numb - but other than that I feel back to normal. My stomach still looks a bit swollen. I am exercising again, though not as hard as I did in the months before my surgery. I'm starting slowly to work back up. Hopefully my lipo sites will flatten down more in the coming months when I'm exercising more!

I went to a water park with my family yesterday, and though I wasn't ready for a bikini - still have visible spots from the lipo (red marks on stomach, back and thighs) My breasts looked great in a tankini top. I went down some water slides with my daugther, which were hard on my thighs, but the slides that used tubes were fine. It's amazing how much better I feel after less than a month. Now just hope the breasts stay - I'm a 34 C, which is what I was before kids/breastfeeding.

It's been 5 weeks since my surgery. I'm still...

It's been 5 weeks since my surgery. I'm still wearing a 34D. My lipo sites are still visible red spots (can see them in the closeups) but the bruises are nearly gone (still a little bruised on the thighs). Still have fat in my lipo areas, too, that I'm hoping will continue to go away as I get back into my exercise routine. My stomach still feels puffy and a bit sore when I poke it. We'll see how things look in another month!

I meant a 34C, not D!

I meant a 34C, not D!

Still looking good

I'm still liking my breasts and lipo results - it seems like my stomach has flattened out more, and I love how my back/flanks look - no love handles at all! Yay! I am hoping the breasts don't lose more, but I know it's a strong possibility. If I do lose much more, I'd strongly consider another transfer, but it's a lot of recovery, money, etc. so I think I'd have to go down to a B cup before I consider it. Still holding at a C cup, though one of my breasts looks a tiny bit deflated when I raise my arms over my head. Looks fine otherwise, so I should just not raise my arms over my head when i'm naked! ;) I only notice it when I get out of the shower and am fixing my hair before getting dressed, so I should probably just put a robe on and problem solved! :)

I'm going to wait until 3 months before I put my "worth it" rating up, though I'm pretty sure it will be worth it, as my breasts look much better, as do the lipo sites, compared to my before pics.

Still the same - C cup

Still holding onto my C cups, and like the shape and upper pole fullness. That said, I have not lost an ounce since surgery! I feel like my stomach and flanks are smaller, and my butt looks better - think the lipo from the back of my thighs makes it look perkier, but I am hung up on the number on the scale. That said, I'm turning 40 this year, am done breastfeeding (last summer I was breastfeeding still, so that burned more calories) so my metabolism may be slowing down. :( I probably just need to stop looking at the scale and focus on my body shape, which is fine! I would consider another fat transfer in the future, though, especially if my breasts lose some more fat.

Still the same

Not much going on! Thanks for checking in with me, Amelia! The breasts still look good. I'm not able to work out as much as I'd like this summer, with three kids to entertain all day, but plan on getting to the gym frequently when my kids are back in school next month, to see if I can get rid of the stomach flab. I had lipo on my stomach, but it still looks not so flat. That and my inner thighs seem the fattiest, but not too bad.

I have tried to update my "unsure" to worthwhile, but I don't have a way to change it that I can find. Anyone know how to do this? Also, my surgery date disappeared, so maybe that's the problem.

Nearly a year post surgery, breasts are still good!

Hi everyone! Sorry, long time no comment! Things around here are pretty much the same! I've been working out regularly (3 times a week or so, cardio and a TRX class that uses body weight to build/maintain muscle). I kept thinking after my "bloating" went down (swelling after surgery, etc.) and my body leveled off a few months after surgery I would get back to my "normal" weight, which I was for years before my fat transfer -- 115. That was the weight I would get back to after pregnancies, so I figured transferring the fat around wouldn't change weight much. But, I did pretty much stop exercising for 6 weeks last year in prep for surgery -- holding onto that precious fat so there'd be enough to transfer and went up to 125, which is my current weight for the past year. Now I think that that 5 - 10 pounds isn't going anywhere, and I am OK with that! I like my new breasts still. They seem to be the same since about last summer - a 34 C. I love the way they look in bras, and out of a bra they're not quite as perky/full looking, but I am not dissatisfied enough to do another fat transfer...yet! I still look at my inner thighs, that didn't have lipo done, and think about that fat being added to the breasts, but the downtime and cost will hold me back, I believe! It's almost been a year, though, and I still think it was worth it!

Over a year now

Still look pretty much the same. I've been working out several times a week and have more muscle, but still have fat in my stomach and inner thighs and haven't lost any weight (holding at 125 pounds). I'm at the point that I know my body won't look perfect so I have accepted how I look. I like myself clothed better than naked, especially because my stomach isn't flat, and my breasts look much better in a bra, even though they're bigger now than pre-fat transfer. I'm not willing to get a tummy tuck to deal with my stomach, which I probably the only way to make it flat after three kids, and I don't think I will do another fat transfer, though I have enough fat left to do another one. I enclosed a few more pictures. Not great quality, but things look pretty similar. I circled the visible scar I have left from surgery on my back. Any other white marks are spots on the mirror!

Pictures one year+ post surgery

Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Realself - I found the names of three doctors in my area who do fat transfers to breasts, and had consultations with them all. The first dr. said I didn't have enough fat (ha! Look at those before pictures!) but he didn't look at my lower body - I was wearing jeans. The second dr. gave me an estimate for fat transfer and augmentation, as well as the third dr. I went with Dr. Sowder because I thought her fat transfer results looked better. Now, 3 months later, I really love Dr. Sowder's technique - my breasts look great - the cleavage and upper pole fullness are nice. I love her bedside manner, as well. She's friendly and spends enough time during appointments that you don't feel rushed.

I think your mom stomach is beautiful.
Would really like to know how much you had transferred to your breasts....
Hey Laura, You look great. Glad you are happy overall. Sorry you are not completely happy with the "mom stomach". I think you are smart to be satisfied with the breasts you have now and not continuing to do surgeries. Perfection is tough and is only lost with the aging process in due time anyway. Best, Amelia
Your breasts look absolutely fantastic Laura! Your lipo looks very good too. Thank you for updating, it's great to read long term reviews
You look great Laura! Hope I will have the same retention as you after a year! Just wanted to comment on the weight issue versus appearance ( my area of expertise, I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor ). Muscle weighs more than fat. Not pound for pound of course but from a volume point of view so 1 cup of muscle would weigh more than 1 cup of fat. So fat takes up more "space" than than the same weight in muscle. If your body composition changes ( because you are working out, you are replacing fat with muscle) which will make you look trimmer. But your weight could very well be the same or even be up. Good news is that not only do you look trimmer, because of increased muscle mass, you'll burn (or use) more calories per day. So please do not be ruled by the scale. I once saw a sign above the scale in a gym that said " please don't step on me, it will make you cry". The bottom line is, we can do lipo and fat transfers but to keep things looking the best you can, you need to hit the gym and do weight bearing excercises as well as cardiovascular work outs. Add Pilates to that and you have the perfect mix.
Thanks for commenting & updating Laura. I bet you look great at 125 and I am glad you are still happy w/your decision almost 1 year later!! Like you, I enjoy a 34 C. It is a nice size!! Well, hope you & your family stay well. Keep us posted if you can at another 6mths or even at your 2 year post op mark. Best, Amelia
Laura, I had my first consult with Dr. Sowder! Where are your lipo scars? Are they noticeable? I'm most worried about that as I scar easily and deeply. My fat will come from back, hips, and thighs. 34 AA, 5' 2", 117 lbs. You look great!
Hi, I had fat removed from back, stomach, hips and outer thighs. The only scar I have noticed is one on my back, and it is now white. I can't see a corresponding one on the other side, so it doesn't look like lipo, if you know what I mean. I don't study myself too carefully, but other than one on my back, I don't see any scars when I get out of the shower, when I'm in the gym locker room, etc. It's nice that my breasts pretty much draw my eye when I look in the mirror! Thanks, and good luck!
Hi Laura, How are you doing? It has been a while.. Can you let us know how you are, how the retention is? Amelia
Hi Laura, can you give us an update please? How do your breasts look? Would you say you have retained most of the fat transfer? Are you happy with your final lipo results?
Laura, Glad to hear you finally got that rating to change even if it was w/the incorrect date.  Strange that the forum manager never responded or helped. It is also fascinating that you are 10 lbs heavier but the same size.  Do you think it is less body fat from the lipo? Are you still considering a 2nd transfer cause you could use your stomach again maybe or no?  I am thinking of using my stomach in the future..maybe like a year from now.  I need to eat some more cheeseburgers first, LOL!
Well, I was finally able to change my rating to "worth it" by putting the day of my surgery as some time in August, even though it happened way back in March! Oh well, it worked! I'm still happy with my breasts. Now it's my stomach that gets all my focused negativity. Not ready for a tummy tuck, though! I'll just suck it in when I see myself naked in the mirror for a few minutes before getting dressed. Everything else looks fine - the thighs, butt, flanks, breasts are all fine, not ridged or misshapen in any way from the lipo. The stomach I'll blame on my kids. ;) I've been going to the gym and exercising regularly now that school has started again so I'll see if I can make my stomach flatten without losing my boobs. Fingers crossed. I'm still too hung up on the number on the scale, too. It has been 10 pounds over what I was last year at this time, but I still wear the same size pants so I'm not too worried about it, just hung up because I'm brainwashed that a smaller number means better looking. Blah!
Kirsty, Can you help Laura?  see above Amelia
Thanks for the update Laura.   Kirsty, Are you there?  Laura is trying to update her review to "worth it" but can not figure out how to change it? Amelia
Still not updated - I think if my surgery date showed up - I started my review before the surgery, but it still doesn't list the surgery date, which was March 27, 2013 -- I could update my rating, but since it doesn't think I've had the surgery yet, it won't let me change my rating!
Hmm..I know I was having a problem w/mine too for a while and they fixed it.  Hopefully the community manager will contact you with a solution about adding the date and adding the rating.  I know there is a little icon that you click at the top of your post that changes these things.  I think our community manager may be away right now as I recall her telling me that.  We'll get it fixed eventually!  Have a good Thursday Laura!
Hi Laura, Are you okay?  We have not heard from you in a while.  I see you still have an "unsure" rating.  Are you at the point where you can decide on a thumbs up or thumbs down rating since you are pretty far out now? Thanks, Amelia
You look wonderful! Congratulations on finding a great surgeon who transformed your body.
Hello Lovely Laura. I feel you about the scale and you need to STEP AWAY. Amelia is right on the money (as usual) with how little fat weighs. MY PS said losing even 8 pounds is considered enormous. It really isn't pounds it's the new shape. As I am sure you know, Ad Nauseum, it can take many, many (long, frustrating, irritating, can't this damn healing just be over) months to see final results. I am so delighted (and just a teensy bit jealous) you are hanging on to your C's. If only I could find a way to shift my back fat up and around to my boobs I would be really happy! Stay well.
Glad you are holding onto your C cups.  Your body looks much different since surgery so the scale really can be deceiving.  Fat really does not weigh alot like muscle does so we can appear alot thinner and not lose alot of pounds.  Have you ever had your body fat % taken?  Mine went from 27% to 20%.  It makes a huge difference in appearance.  Many female body builders don't lose any weight or gain weight for their competitions but they lose body fat & their bodies look super lean & ripped even though they weigh the same.  Very deceiving!  Let us know if you decide to do the 2nd transfer & good luck!!
yeah, I feel like my legs muscles and abs are stronger/bigger since I've been running for a few months. I haven't had body fat taken recently, so should do that at the gym sometime. I really just need to stop weighing myself, because seeing a high number gets me down and I know I shouldn't care if I look good!
Yes, you look great!!!  Look back at your before and after pics to see the difference to remind yourself.  There is a big difference & it is easy to forget.  I have also tried to trick myself into thinking there is not much of a difference, etc...but then I remember pre-surgery.   Scales surely can be the devil w/our minds!
Hi Laura, How are you doing now?  Any further changes or are you holding your C?  You and I are both praying that we hold our C's?  Isn't it supposed to be P's & Q's? LOL Amelia
Another thing ,the country I live in they don't practice to make wear bravo prior it....as I hear in this forum? Is that ok?