Make Sure It's Right for YOU - Seattle, WA

While Accutane does work as promised, the side...

While Accutane does work as promised, the side effects are what you need to evaluate when deciding if it is the right prescription for you. I decided to use Accutane as a "last resort" because I found no creams, ointments, or pills to help over many years.

The Accutane cleared my acne but I experienced high levels of body aches and pains. Not only did the medicine dry out my face, it reduced the lubrication in my joints and I had to deal with the effects in my knees, hips, and back. After 2 years my acne has returned, and I am still dealing with the full body consequences. This is why I recommend evaluating whether this the right decision for YOU in the long run.

My son used accutane and it healed a horrible case of cystic acne. He also had joint discomfort from the drug and dehydration to the point of hospitalization for stroke symptoms. He immediately got off the drug (6 months and skin cleared) and recovered from all of the drug related symptoms. His skin has remained clear and he says accutane saved him from a life of skin blisters that were horrible. I have a love-hate relationship with the drug since my son had stroke symptoms. I was really scared. But, recognizing the side effects of the drug and adjusting to them short term (such as dry skin and joint pain) for the amazing long term gain (blisters gone!) must be considered. Best wishes to you.

Hi Liz,

Wow, I didn't know it could have such an effect on so many other parts of your body, I'm so sorry. I'm sure it won't fully help, but you might want to start taking, if you have not already, fish oil, it's supposed to help a lot with joint pain. Probably couldn't hurt. Please keep us updated to how things progress.

Thanks so much for the review, and have a great week!

-Britt

Dr. Jenkin

Although no longer at the Clinic, Dr. J was a valuable provider for the time I spent working on my acne with him.