A Crown in Time Saves a Root Canal? - Seattle, WA

At a routine cleaning and check-up my dentist...

At a routine cleaning and check-up my dentist noted some probable decay in the rear-most molar on the bottom left. He also mentioned that the size, shape, and expansion characteristics of the filling probably meant it acted as a wedge/maul and over time created a small crack in the tooth. At the time of this writing it wasn't clear whether the crack existed.

He recommended removing the old filling and repairing/restoring it with a crown. There was some "hopefully you won't need a root canal" discussion as well. The dentist said it would take about 2 hours, assuming all goes smoothly..."no big deal, it is a good movie" (he has an entertainment system)

All things considered, the whole situation stinks. It promises to be somewhat painful and expensive. I am not looking forward to it at all and have been complaining to everyone I know. It isn't the dentist, it is the situation.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

It has been a while

...but the crown is holding tight and I have no problems.

On the downside, my 3 year old son had to have his two front baby teeth pulled. When he was learning to walk he fell on his face a couple of times and damaged the teeth. We noticed a little bump on his gums that ended up being an abcess.

The extraction was really easy and he was fine throughout the whole thing. They gave him some nitrous to take the edge off.

The tooth fairy brought him a Bruder Fire Truck which made the whole thing worthwhile. The truck is shown below

The fire truck is a hit!

Good news! Alexander is doing great following his extraction. He now has a super fierce smile.

Ty Etheridge, DDS