A Crown in Time Saves a Root Canal? - Seattle, WA

At a routine cleaning and check-up my dentist...

At a routine cleaning and check-up my dentist noted some probable decay in the rear-most molar on the bottom left. He also mentioned that the size, shape, and expansion characteristics of the filling probably meant it acted as a wedge/maul and over time created a small crack in the tooth. At the time of this writing it wasn't clear whether the crack existed.

He recommended removing the old filling and repairing/restoring it with a crown. There was some "hopefully you won't need a root canal" discussion as well. The dentist said it would take about 2 hours, assuming all goes smoothly..."no big deal, it is a good movie" (he has an entertainment system)

All things considered, the whole situation stinks. It promises to be somewhat painful and expensive. I am not looking forward to it at all and have been complaining to everyone I know. It isn't the dentist, it is the situation.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Ty Etheridge, DDS

How did it go? My husband has something like this going on and I'd love to know how it went!
A crown in time can save further damage, pain , discomfort, tooth loss, root canal, etc. If you trust your dentist, I would proceed as advised. Sadly, most crowns I do are more difficult because the tooth has already broken, has pain, may need a root canal, etc. I always try to stress prevention - it will always be an easier process and more affordable over time. "A stitch in time saves nine".

Ugh, sorry to hear. It sounds like you are really dreading it. Hopefully they will keep you nice and numb and you won't experience much discomfort. When is your appointment?