I Want Them out - Sea Girt, NJ

I'm a 46 year old mother of three that wanted...

I'm a 46 year old mother of three that wanted implants for my 40th B-Day 6 years ago. I was an A cup size and wasn't feeling very good about myself at the time. I have a small frame size and thought having boobs would help me feel better about myself. It was the dumbest thing I ever did and I still ask myself what was I thinking? The implants rest on my rib cage and they've been uncomfortable for the last 6 years. I talked to my PS about getting them out last year and she told me to wait another year to make sure I wasn't just going thru an emotional time of life. So I waited a year and now I want them out even more. I've always been athletic and small chested, now with implants my workouts have changed. My arms are weak and my boobs always get in the way. I look back to 6 years ago when I felt I needed them and I'm sad that I didn't accept myself the way I was. When other women ask me about getting implants I tell them please do not get them, you will regret it. I'm ashamed that I didn't love myself enough the way I was at the time. The good news is that I've come along way with self-image issues and I am so ready to get them out. I am definitely scared to go thru surgery again for this mistake but after reading so many stories about other women going thru with it I feel more at ease. I'm consulting with doctor on Jan 20th and then it will be one step at a time from there. I hope to have them out by spring 2014.
If anyone has any helpful information to discuss with doc at consult please share. One question I have is, well I think I probably forgot what it feels like not to have these implants inside me, I always think about my implants because I constantly feel them (it's annoying) so my question is: Does that feeling go away when they're gone?

Consult Tomorrow

Excited that my consult appointment got bumped up to tomorrow. I'm hoping I get get my surgery date scheduled tomorrow.
I'm curious if anyone has any advice on working out before surgery? I do a lot of yoga which I know I will be unable to do for awhile after surgery but I'm curious if I should start cutting back on my workouts now before surgery. Don't know that it makes much sense building muscle the month before surgery.
Hopefully I'll be posting my explant date tomorrow! I'm definitely nervous, scared and having anxiety. The more I think about my implants the more uncomfortable they are. I'm looking forward to recovering and moving ahead of this bad mistake of getting implants in the first place.

February 4th Explant Date

Had my consult yesterday and booked my explant date for Feb 4th! 21 days!
A lot to do in 3 weeks to prepare. Need to buy new smaller bras!
Explant is going to be a little more pricey than I had expected but these implants are coming out for any cost. PS said my implants are most likely the cause of my chronic neck, back and shoulder pain. I'm excited to get back to just being ME!

Implants Removed Feb. 4th and I'm HAPPY!

I'm so excited to finally be posting how my explant went. I was so nervous the week leading up to my surgery. I am so thrilled I went thru with getting implants out. Just like everyone on this site had told me, sure enough I felt the relief of them being gone immediately after surgery. You don't realize how uncomfortable they really are until you get them out. I was scare to look at my tiny little breast but they're beautiful. I went from a DD to now back to an A cup but I seriously don't know what I was thinking when I got these implants in 6 years ago because I love my new look!
In regards to the pain, explant was about 50% less painful than when I got the implants in. I did have drains for 3 days, that was pretty annoying but they're out now. Regarding capsule, my PS said that everyone forms a capsule within the first month of getting implants, that's why you need the drain after surgery, for the capsule to drain out.
Now that I've been thru it I can say for sure that if you're thinking about explant: Go for It! I don't know why so many doctors act like we're nuts when we say we want them out. My doc advised me to wait a year to really think about it, my only regret is that I waited an extra year to go thru with explant. I can't wait to go shopping for new bathing suit tops!

I am 24 hours post op and couldn't be more thrilled :) Was the best decision I made to have them removed! I have my implants as a reminder of how thankful I am to be able to accept me for me !! :)
So excited for you!!! Mine are coming out next Monday, can't wait!! :)
I worked out (push-ups, weightlifting, etc.) in the weeks and days before my surgery since I knew I wouldn't be able to work out much while recovering and I wanted to maintain as much muscle tone and fitness as I could. I also theorized that getting blood flow to my chest and strengthening those muscles before the surgery would aid in my recovery. I didn't ask my PS about any of this, so that's a good question for you to ask at your consultation tomorrow. Prior to having my explant surgery (one month ago today) I researched the subject extensively and didn't run across any warnings not to work out before surgery. I'm pretty sure it's harmless, but probably good to double check with the surgeon. A month after my surgery, I'm still extremely happy with the new, natural me. You're going to feel so much better once they're out. Good luck!
I actually cried with joy as soon as I liked down at them after surgery. They feel soooooooo much better! I can't believe I had those things in me for so long. Like you I wanted them out 3 1/2 yrs ago, but doctor said I would be deformed if removed. So I went smaller and they grew AGAIN! So I came across this site and decided to be like NIKE & JUST DO IT! Best thing I ever did!
You will be fine! Stop by my profile & read my story/results. We are the same age & I had mine for over 16 years. Loving my freedom!!!!!
It is going to feel SO good to be light and free this coming summer. I hope you can get this done and find some peace with all this soon! Thank you for starting your story on RealSelf!
Fixit225, is so very correct! I can't even remember what implants looked like or really felt like with implants. Besides being able to look at pictures, and having a recollection of all the complaining I did in regards to pain I had before explant. I feel like a brand new woman :) you will feel like a new woman as well! You will be giving your body a brand new beginning. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! It's crazy to me that PS tell us to wait or say horrid things about the end results.. However we have to remember, their line of work involves false beauty. ;) as far as feeling ashamed for the decision you made in the past? Think of it as a learning experience. This is something you can teach others about. It's hard to teach people when you haven't experienced it. We are all students and teachers. You have been a student thus far, and are graduating with your beautiful knowledge in what real beauty is. Ask if you have capsules, what anesthesia they will be doing, make sure they are accredited, how experienced they are with explant, on call nurse, how many follow up appointments are included. Read reviews, look at pictures. Most importantly? How do you feel about the PS? Do they make you feel welcome, comfortable. Excited for your consult!
You are truly a kind person. Thanks so much for your words of wisdom. I'm actually a bit choked up here reading, this is an emotional experience for all of us that are here. I do like my PS a lot, she is surgeon from my original surgery Dr. Glicksman. The only thing I haven't liked is the lack of understanding about wanting them out. I only wish there was this much concern when I wanted them in, I probably would not have went thru with it. I just called PS today to see if I can get an earlier appt than the 20th, they put me on a cancellation list so I hope to get in sooner. In the meantime I'm scheduling my mammo & MRI, EKG and anything I need to move ahead toward explant. I'm SO glad I found this site! For the last year I thought I was alone with this type thinking, no one understood. Bottom line is I made a very big mistake 6 years ago and this site helped me realize it's okay : ) I will put your questions for PS in my notes for consult! Many many thanks!
Thank you. Let me also correct myself, not all PS are in the business of false beauty. There are those that go out and do really good things for people. Facial reconstruction, cleft pallets.. And so forth. This site is really amazing. Keep us updated
Hi, I had mine for about 6 1/2yrs . It was a little adjustment when I got them out...at first I would look down and expect to see huge lumps on my chest and it would just be flat. However, after a few weeks I started to forget what it was like having them. Now, I am almost 2 months post op and totally don't remember what I looked or felt like with implants. I love my body and how it looks now....I feel lighter and I'm not embarrassed by huge boobs. I wish I never got the implants in the first place...I feel my body has been through so much as a result of what I did and I'm so happy now I'm feeling like my old self again. I wish you all the best and will be following your story. You will not regret it at all!
Ugggghhh. I can't wait! It's all I think about. Why'd we do it! Did you need a capsulectomy? Thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much for the positive feedback! ! I can't wait :)
Violet214, yes full capsulectomy on both breasts with drains. I also opted for a lift revision because I had gotten pregnant again after I got implants plus prior lift the first time around and stretched out to EE or F back to a DD from a b-cup initially. I obviously thought I was done having kids when I initially got the implants...I got a divorce and remarried and now have a 2yr old and I'll be turning 42. Very happy about the baby...just not happy with what happened to my body. I should have just had a lift the first time around and was talked into a implants because I was told I didn't have enough breast tissue to make the lift look good. What a lie...if you look at my pics from after surgery...my new lift looks awesome without implants. I'm very pleased with my outcome and pleased to be all natural again.
After doing some reading about capsule removal, it doesn't look like I will have to plan on it. I will definately ask my Dr tomorrow when I see her. It looks like something that needs to happen if there has been a silicone leak and or calcification has built up around the implants. I am looking forward to getting through another recovery and moving on in my life without "the girls" haha! I pray that everything goes well with your surgery, recovery and outcome! :)
I read your post and couldn't help but to hear my own voice in your words!!!! I am also a 46 year mother of 2 young adult daughters. I had my 1st surgery in April of 2006, I was recovering from a hard divorce and lost a lot of weight so my breasts were so saggy and asymmetrical it was ugly for me to look at let alone of thinking I would one day hope to share myself again with a new husband. So I made the most foolish decision and got implants. I went from a small A to DD what a disaster it has been for me since. I decided that I couldn't stand being so big that I stepped up and had a reduction last June. I had both breasts lifted and smaller implants put in. I sit here today December 29th and am very embarrassed to tell you that I have been unhappy still and have one last and final implant removal scheduled for Jan 20th of 2014, Praise the Lord!!!! I will be rid of them and am now doing my homework on capsule removal. I wish you the best, I look forward to seeing my old self again!!! Signed, REGRETS
Oh well I'm so happy for you that you have your removal scheduled for the 20th. I don't have a scheduled date yet but I'm hoping I get one soon. I know we'll be happier without them. Please keep us all informed of how everything goes. I don't fully understand the capsule removal part of the surgery yet. Do you know for certain that you need the capsules removed?
I identify with your reasons for wanting to get implants, and your reasons for wanting them out. You asked if you'll ever stop thinking about your implants since you constantly feel them. I had mine for 17 years and thought about them/felt them every day. They made me uncomfortable all the time and I found myself always trying to cover them up rather than show them. I think when women are wanting implants we think more about how they'll look and less about how they'll make us feel (both physically and psychologically). And we have to live with how they feel every day. I'm extremely happy after having mine removed and finally feel like "myself" again. I should have just accepted that I was a small chested, athletic woman and been happy about the positive aspects of that rather than thinking the grass was greener on the other side (which it wasn't). I've read a lot of reviews on Real Self and haven't seen one in which the woman regretted having her implants taken out. For some it does take some adjustment and involves some anxiety and concern about whether they're doing the right thing, but ultimately they've all been happy with their decision in the end. If you've wanted them out this long, I'm sure you will be, too. Good luck!
I feel as if we have the same story here. I wish that I had accepted my athletic build as well. I was a size A and now I'm D to DD and when I workout I have worn 2 bras to hide them since my surgery 6 years ago. I suppose I never thought about the psychological aspect of this procedure. At this point I am just glad I found this site because I was starting to think it was just me! (LoL) I have spoken to some other women at my gym that have implants and they think I'm crazy for wanting them out. Everyone is different and they're just not for me. It's definitely a long regret of mine and I can't wait to get them out! I'm scared of the pain but after reading so many posts here I know it will be worth it : )