Since as far back as I can remember I have known...

Since as far back as I can remember I have known that my nose is big. When I was a little girl (before I ever knew about plastic surgery) I would pray before I went to bed and ask God to make my nose smaller while I slept. It seems so silly that as a child I was conscious of my nose being disproportionate to my face, but it is and I always knew that. I wasn't bullied,in fact I was pretty popular growing up, but people always made comments. "Dude! Was your plastic surgeon drunk when he did your nose?" or With a nose like that you must be Jewish or Arabic." Even strangers would say to me, "You'd be so pretty if you got your nose done." or" Your nose makes you look like Barbara Streisand." Every time someone pointed out my big nose I would shrivel up on the inside. My nose has made me insecure, and my insecurities have caused me to sit on the sidelines too often in my life. My husband has been very supportive, and we decided together that I would move forward with the surgery when we had zero debt and could pay cash for the procedure. We are now in a position to make this a reality for me. My surgery is booked for May 30th 8:30 am. I am both terrified and excited! I have done my research and am completely confident that I chose the right surgeon for me. I have a ridiculous fear, no more like phobia, of vomiting, and that is my biggest fear. (So silly, I know) I am concerned about the healing process and how tough it could be, and I have some concerns regarding the emotional affect a surgery like this may have on me. I am a busy mom, and I don't know how to rest, so that will be challenging as well. i found this group while researching plastic surgery and I was hesitant to join at first, but as my big day gets closer I realize how much I would love the encouragement of others who have been through this.
I appreciate any positive feedback you have. Thank you!

A few pics

A few more pics

The next pics I post will be of my new nose!

Surgery in less then 48 hours

All I can think about these past few days is my nose, the surgery, the pain, recovery and of coarse vomiting. Which, if you read my story, you know I'm terrified of. I'm distracted and forgetful these past few days, and it seems like my to-do list is growing. I want my house to be spotless before I leave for the hospital, and having a three year old boy running amok all day makes that nearly impossible. I have my meds, my neck pillow, bendy straws, cough drops, Chapstick, U shaped pillow,sorbet, tons of kale and pineapple chopped up and frozen ready for my protein shakes during recovery. What am I forgetting?? I know I should be excited and I am, but mostly I'm anxious and I just want to get this over with. We've hit triple digits in Phoenix and the heat is making me wish I would have done this in the winter months so I could at least enjoy a little fresh air while I heal, but none the less I feel so blessed to have this opportunity, and grateful for my families support. If anyone can think of something else I need please do share. Thanks you all!!
Cheers to pretty noses!!

2 days Po

Doing ok. Have had a lot of anxiety since getting home from the hospital, and I think some of that is just coming off of all the meds I was on. Recovery is much harder than I thought it would be, but in my mind I thought I would be mopping floors and making dinner for my family the day I got home. Been in bed almost the entire weekend. Finally today I got up and walked around my house a little. I really can't wait to get back to normal. Laying around is not something I'm good at.

4 days PO

Things are getting easier. I have very little pain, and there is some air coming up through one nostril. I already love my nose and it's not even the nose I'm going to end up with. I feel very blessed to have had this opportunity! Still laying around and taking it easy as I find I run our of energy very quickly, but the worst is behind me now.
Thank you to everyone that has posted on my page and kept me encouraged through this whole process! It's meant so much to me. The support here is just incredible!

A few pics. Day 2 and 3 PO

Dizzy

Just curious if anyone experienced any dizziness during their recovery? I'm wondering if it's connected to the scolplamine patch? Or if it is that I'm not consuming enough calories. (About 300 a day)

When does normal happen?

Hi all,
I'm 8 days Po and still feeling yucky. I'm congested of coarse, but emotionally I just don't feel like myself. I've been having a lot of panic attacks (anxiety is something I've always dealt with) and I'm having a hard time getting back into my normal routine. I'm tired and want to just lay in bed. Which makes me feel worse. I want to go back to my normal; taking care of my husband, our 3 year old and our house. I feel very wobbly on my feet and I think that's due to not eating enough, but still the only thing that sounds good to me is applesauce. Just wondering if anyone else had a hard time transitioning back to their lives after surgery or if 8 days Po is still early and some of this is normal? Thanks for your help, advice and encouragement! I sure do need it right now.

Slowly but surely

Hi all,
I'm 9 days Po and it's been challenging. I'm not in a lot of pain at all, but still very uncomfortable breathing through my mouth. I'm still very tired and spending almost all day in bed. Would love to go for a walk, but temps in phoenix are reaching 111 degrees. :-( I've felt so unsteady on my feet and have yet to take a shower standing up for fear that I may pass out. I'm struggling to eat, not because I'm not hungry but because nothing tastes right. I'm sure if I can increase my calories a bit the shakiness will subside and hopefully the panic attacks too. My husband almost took me to the hospital the other night because I was in such a crazy panic attack. Has anyone else experienced this? In think the trauma of the surgery, the meds and lack of calories are taking it's tole on me. However, I do love my beautiful nose and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, this is an amazing gift. Just wondering when y'all felt well enough to get back to normal life again or if anyone has experienced some of the things I've been going through. Thank you all so much!! This group is such a blessing!!
Jaime

Turning a corner (I think)

I gave my little boy a bath tonight and that felt like victory to me. I also finally was hungry enough to eat something substantial. I've lost 10 lbs in 10 days. Feeling less dizzy and no panic attacks tonight. Ahhhh, I'm hopeful I'm getting to the other side of this. Thank you to all my real self buddies for being such great sources of support for me. What a journey we are all on!

Tomorrow will be better

I haven't posted any new pics lately because my nose has really gotten swollen in the past few days, especially between my eyes where my nose meets my forehead. I've been getting headaches daily too. (Anyone else dealing with this) the congestion and swelling internally are not much better either. It seems patience is the key here. I made an appointment with. Doctor to talk about the unrelenting panic attacks I've had since the surgery, coupled with bouts of sobbing. (Which isn't helping with the congestion) I still haven't left the house, and can't seem to get a grip on the anxiety. In addition I physically don't feel great. I'm tired easily and feel so rundown. Is there anyone in this community that can shed some light on what's going on. It seems like most blogs I read people are out and about excited to show off their new noses and I'm just feeling victorious if I take a shower and do a load of laundry. Gosh, this post sounds so negative and I'm not a negative person at all, but these past 2 weeks have been such a struggle emotionally for me. I would love some feedback from anyone that had a difficult time with anxiety and healing after their procedure. Thank you all so very much. I appreciate each one of you that responds to my updates, and I love the support found here.

Swelling is for the birds

Ok, so now at almost 3 weeks Po I notice my cheeks are really puffy, and my eyes are still a little swollen. Also, my skin is so bad right now. What's up with that? I haven't worn make up in 3 weeks, you'd think my skin would be glowing. Anyone else still dealing with a swollen face and eyes 3 weeks out? Thanks for your feedback everyone. Y'all have been my lifeline through this!!

More pics

My nose is subtly changing every day. The congestion gets worse at night and my saline spray is still my best friend. Anxiety is ever so slightly improving, and I'm hopeful I'll be feeling more like myself soon.

Really?!?!

So, a few days ago I noticed a weird odor in my nose. I ignores it for a day or two but then decided i should call my surgeon. He said that is NOT normal. He asked me if it smelled like a dirty old gym sick, and I said YES! He said it's a staph infection. So, now I'm on an antibiotic ointment and oral antibiotics. Grrrrrr!! Has anyone else experienced this?

Is it changing at all?

I really can't tell if the swelling is going down or not. I can still feel it in my forehead and right eye, which is weird because I only bruised on the right side and have the most congestion in the right nostril. Tip is still numb and I don't fully have my smile back. Some pain in my cheeks and on the bridge still, but Friday will be my one month mark, and I'm sure things will continue to get better.

I like my nose today.

Today is a decent nose day. I even went to a boutique in phoenix that sells my favorite lotion. (That's huge for me right now) little baby steps, but I'll take 'Em.

Oops.

Forgot to post a before pic of me from the front. Huge difference! It's crazy!

Almost 2 months Po

I haven't had the smoothest recovery, but for the first time in my life I took a pic of myself and didn't hate it! :-) I'll never be one to post selfies all over social media (I think that's narcissistic and weird) but I will post pics here. I feel like I've been through a lot with this surgery and I'm excited to finally be excited about what this decision has done for me. Changing my nose has set me free from so many insecurities, and I know I'll never grace the cover of any magazine, but to be able to look at a picture of myself and not cringe is so liberating. I'm looking forward to seeing the final result, but in the mean time I'm beyond thrilled to leave my old nose behind and move on with my life.
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

I have not actually had the procedure yet, but thus far my interactions with Dr. Hobgood have been amazing. I feel completely comfortable in his hands, and trust him fully. Now that I've had the surgery I can absolutely say that I recommend Dr. Hobgood! He has been such a cheerleader for me through this whole process and his work is perfection!!