FINALLY: Successful Revision Surgery After a Bad Reconstruction - Scottsdale, AZ

I had a bilateral mastectomy in August of 2013 and...

I had a bilateral mastectomy in August of 2013 and immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders, followed by exchange to implants in late December of 2013. Unfortunately for me, Dr. Parson was NOT my original plastic surgeon. As time passed, I found my original plastic surgeon to be very aloof and condescending which did nothing to assuage my fears. I was continually told to ‘wait and see’ and after several months it was quite obvious that nothing was going to change no matter how long I waited. My implants were asymmetrical and one was distorted. My left breast appeared to be huge, even though the implants were exactly the same size, while the right side was small and never migrated into the pocket. The left had dropped a little below the IMF and the distortion on that side was painful and getting worse as time passed.

Thus, I began a search for someone to help me put the pieces back together again and feel some semblance of normal. I knew enough about reconstruction revisions - thanks to the wonderful women of Breastcancer.org - that I wasn’t hoping for perfection, just a pain free result that I no longer had to camouflage each and every day.

Just let me save everyone in or around the Phoenix, Arizona area a lot of time and trouble, and tell you that Dr. Shaun Parson is that guy. It is difficult enough to find someone who still specializes in reconstruction, let alone someone who will attempt to correct another plastic surgeon’s surgical ineptitude. From our first consultation, Dr. Parson was kind, considerate, and listened to me and my concerns. Together we worked out a plan to resolve the asymmetry, the flat spots, the rippling and a resolution to the internal scarring that we assumed was causing the pain and distortion issues. For the first time, I felt as though my needs were relevant and I was very much involved in my own revision surgery.

The procedure was early on a Monday and I was home by mid afternoon with minimal pain and discomfort. I was heavily bandaged and was told that I must remain so until my post op appointment on Thursday. I tried not to have my expectations set too high, and was just hoping for a decent outcome this time. As soon as the dressings came off, I was delighted to see that I had ended up with AWESOME!

Today is the anniversary of my bilateral mastectomy and for a very long time I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel about that. But now that the date has arrived, I am finally and undeniably happy. After an incredibly long year of pain and disappointment, I’ve been resurrected by Dr. Shaun Parson. I’m finally at peace with my own body. Do yourself a favor and call his office now. You will never be sorry.

did the revision go thru your originalmastecomy scars? looks like he removed your nipples. were they original or reconstructed? they looked very natural..your revision looks like such a better shape! were the original implants saline or silicone? so glad you got a good result and residual lipo scar are gone im still dealing with a few canula insertion holes..i hope they heal more. its been 3 months
Yes, evesue, the revision was done through the original BMX scars (which were kind of jagged looking anyway). My exchange was done through the IMF, so I have all kinds of scars. ;-) The nipples were my own but after exchange were so lopsided and painful that we opted to just remove them and clean up that incision at the same time. I was also having a lot of pain from what we thought was scar tissue from a previous excisional biopsy on my left side. As it turned out, the AlloDerm from the exchange surgery had bunched up and folded over and needed to be removed. Dr. Parson then used SERI Scaffold - which is a silk material for the revision. Both the original implants and the ones used in the revision were Mentor high profile rounds. Best of luck with your healing!
ok now i understand the progression-what a difference a doctor who can make a good pocket makes!!!..my dr stitched down the alloderm so i dont thinks theres anyway it could get bunched up.. i think my pain is coming from capsule scaring and pec muscle being pulled over the implant..i still have twinges from lipo sites but that has significantly improved...if i bend over for longer than a minute im in pain still..cant ever take heavy duty support bra off.. my dr says it can take a year to resolve and i'm still smaller than my original self..i just think these thing are heavier than my own fat was
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Parson’s empathy and concern are only surpassed by his exceptional surgical skills and perfectionism. I am eight weeks out from the revision surgery and I have been pain free since the first week. I look and feel wonderful, and no longer have to think about my foobs every day. I would highly recommend Dr. Parson to anyone and everyone. My only regret is that he wasn’t my initial plastic surgeon - but then hindsight is always 20/20. I’m still very grateful that Dr. Parson was willing to accept the rather daunting task of cleaning up someone else’s reconstruction fail, and making me feel whole again. He is kind and caring and even took the time to personally call to check in on me the evening of my surgery.