Black Female Had Hair Transplant - Scottsdale, AZ

I'm a black female with traction alopecia and had...

I'm a black female with traction alopecia and had a hair transplant with Dr. Friedman. I tried castor oil, peppermint oil, and many other hair growth products. You would think in a state as large as Texas, I wouldn't have to drive to Arizona for a hair transplant. I am so glad I did. Dr. Friedman and his staff did an excellent job. I had no swelling, pain, or irritation. Immediately after surgery I could see some added fullness although I know my hair won't fully grow in for at least 4 to 8 months!!

I had a previous hair transplant to lower my hairline, while I was living in Baltimore. Dr. Vogel did an excellent job! I knew I would need a second hair transplant to add fullness. If I was still living in Baltimore I would have gone back!

I guess this is a double review for two great hair transplant surgeons. Dr. Vogel in Baltimore, Maryland and Dr. Friedman in Scottsdale.

Pictures posted for hair transplant surgery on 4/3/2014

I really hope my journal helps those with curly hair. So many black women suffer from traction alopecia and keep covering things up with extensions, wigs, and weaves. I was one of them. I decided to have a hair transplant cause I wanted to be able to wear my natural hair and not feel ashamed because of my thinning sides. I wanted to post my Preop pictures and my pictures hours after surgery.. Already there is a dramatic difference.. Look at the pictures and tell me Dr. Friedman doesn't have hair transplant down to a science. Please email me if you want further information. Carly, his patient coordinator is really great and will answer all of your questions!!

Suture Removed 4/14/2014

I had the sutures removed. I didn't clean the scar before I took the pics because I was so excited. The scar is still pinkish.. The dark stuff is the bacitracin the doctor applied to the wound. I'm happy with the results. I'll keep you all posted. Yes ladies, the doctor has to shave a certain amount of you hair for FUT hair transplant surgery but no worries it will grow back!!!

A few one month pics

The first and fourth pictures are my preop pictures!!!

Sorry.. The first and fourth pictures are my preop pictures!!! The second, third and last are my post op pics!! I see a little shock loss but also see hair growth. I'm beginning the"ugly duckling/where the in the hell is my hair that I paid for" stage.. LOL.. I posted my preop pics and then my post op pics.. I'm not worried because this is my second hair transplant and I know what to expect. I'll see a few more sprout at month 3 and 4 but literally overnight the hair will start growing in at month 6, 7, and 8... I also noticed in my post op scar pic the hair has really started coming back.!! I'm soo excited.. Any questions, please email me!!!

2.5 Months Post Op Pics

I've been so busy at work and apologize for the late posting. These pics were probably taken 2.75 months post op. Please let me know what you think. Pre op I had a few strands on the front and temporal area. I actually have hair. I also have a few scalp pimples which is normal and indicative of hair growth. I won't see any substantial growth for a few more months.

Also I posted the wrong price. I financed 5,500 but paid 1,500 in cash before surgery... so mu surgery actually cost about 7,000. I sincerely apologize for any confusion.

I did a side by side of my 1month post op and 2.5 month post op!! I have new hair!!!!!! :-)

OOPS FORGOT TO PUT THE SIDE BY SIDE

ON THE LEFT IS MY ONE MONTH PIC AND ON THE RIGHT IS MY 2.5 MONTH PIC!!! I'M HAPPY SO FAR! What do you all think?

3 month one week update

Well, I see some small growth. My frontal area is starting to get a bit fuller. This is only my third month and this is about 20% of my hair growth so I'm encouraged. The third and fourth months are the hardest cause you are just getting over having the surgery and probably starting looking at your hair in the mirror like 10 times a day... LOL! I have a few scalp pimples, not too large but my doc says this is a good sign of growth. My donor scar has been itching like crazy so I brought some cortisone cream.. AAAAAGGGHHH.. it feels so good. My frontal area itches a bit, but I apply cocoa butter to the recipient area.. It helps a bunch... Please let me know what you all think!!!!
Dr. Friedman

Carly, the patient coordinator responded very quickly to all my fears. I was especially concerned about Dr. Friedman's ability to work with black hair. Dr. Friedman IS THE DOCTOR OF HAIR TRANSPLANTS. He really has this down to a science. I'm a very doubtful person but I absolutely trusted Dr. Friedman. If I had to do it all over again.. I would definitely go back to Dr. Friedman!

Wishing You Good Luck...your hairs are growing fast.
Your hair looks amazing and is filling in nicely. Wishing you an expedited growth.
I think the results are coming along really well! It actually amazes me how natural it looks. Thanks so much for keeping your review updated, so helpful for others.
What's your haircare routine now?
I purchased a glueless silktop full lace wig and decided to cornrow my hair. My hair is natural. I haven't relaxed in five years. My hair is long and kinky curly so it takes way too much effort . I decided since it'll take me 6 months to see 70% of my results, I'll take these 6 months to see if my hair will grow an additional 6 inches! So far my hair has grown an additional 2 inches.
I can definitely see changes.Your hair is filling in nicely.
Thank you. I'm wearing a gluessless full lace wig. This stops me from manipulating my hair everyday and checking my hair everyday. I plan to wear this wig for six months. I want to simplify my hair routine. My hair is natural. I'm thinking about texturizing to loosen my curl pattern, but don't want to put any chemicals in my hair until I am at least 6 months post. My hair is cornrowed. I braided my hair with castor oil so that when I unravel my braids my hair is still moisturized. I use shea butter shampoo and their conditioner. I oil my hair with a different oil every time I wash. I wash my hair twice a week, because I am an avid runner. I use cocoa butter on my recipient site to help with the itching.
Yes it is most definitely filling in good! I cant wait until my 3 month mark! Your post and updates are so much motivation for me :) Are you applying your regular hair products to your hair? And are you using Rogaine? Thanks
Although I am wearing a gluessless full lace wig, i keep my hair cornrowed underneath. I figured since I'll see 70% of my hair growth, I decided to use these 6 months to growth my hair. I'm natural and have been for 5 years. My hair is long and kinky curly. So far my hair has grown an additional 2 inches. My hair is about 18 inches long. I flat iron my hair once every 4 for months. I'll probably trim 3 inches in August. I keep my hair oiled while con rowed.. I was with shea moisture shampoo twice a week. I'm you-tubing my new hair routine.. LOL
Congrad's on being natural for 5 years. This is my 1st year of being natural lol...and I have to say its the hardest. :) What is your natural hair texture and YouTube Channel.
Please send the link to your YouTube channel.
Thank you for sharing! I'm an African woman with temporal hair loss due to Traction Alopecia and after seeing more black women sharing their stories (Toneal21 :-D) I'm even more convinced and will make it happen.I will keep on following your progress and wish you a bountiful head of hair :-)
NatalieKa, when u decide to get it keep us updated and we wish you the best of luck :)
I will most definitely :-)
I posted some 3 month pics.. please let me know what you think.. please be honest.. do you see any growth? Girl, you'll spend the next 4 post-surgery months staring at your head.. so you don't really notice anything
LOL I feel you about staring at your head. I got a picture folder for EVERYDAY. (overkill) like something is really going to change. lol But honestly it looks at if your head has completely recovered and it has filled in VERY good. How is your donor area healing besides the itchies?
I think your results are incredible!
Thank you for sharing your hair journey with us. I am also an African female contemplating a hair transplant. I suffer from traction alopecia which has progressively gotten worse over the years. Please continue to share your pictures with us. Also, how much time off work did you need for this procedure? Thanks
Sorry for the delay response. I would suggest taking a minimal of 5 days off of work. My surgery was Thursday morning and I went back to work on Tuesday... I will post new pics.. Please let me know how you think my growth is coming along....
Thank you so much Lynn, keep on sharing.
Thanks for posting this! Seriously... great post but I do have one question...did you feel any pain during the procedure? I am thinking about getting it done in Thailand in a month of so.
Sorry for the delay response.I didn't feel any paid during both surgeries. I felt pressure during my first surgery.. Honestly, having done this twice.. I would say you will experience the most discomfort post surgery in the donor area.. that's because you sleep on the back of your head. Dr. Friedman provided this very comfy pillow that helped a bunch. The pillow looked like one of those airplane pillows. I'l
U were on point with your response to my question :) the donor area is the most uncomfortable.
How much did it cost for Dr.Vogel hair lowering
Whew let me see if I can remember.. I think it was about 8,500.. He's great doc..If I was in Maryland I would have visited him for the second procedure. I had much more swelling with Dr. Vogel than with Dr. Freidman but still had great results with both. I also had hair grafts along with the hair lowering. I needed the hair grafts to cover the scar. Dr. Friedman noted that Dr. Vogel did a great job with placing my grafts....