Black Female Had Hair Transplant - Scottsdale, AZ

I'm a black female with traction alopecia and had...

I'm a black female with traction alopecia and had a hair transplant with Dr. Friedman. I tried castor oil, peppermint oil, and many other hair growth products. You would think in a state as large as Texas, I wouldn't have to drive to Arizona for a hair transplant. I am so glad I did. Dr. Friedman and his staff did an excellent job. I had no swelling, pain, or irritation. Immediately after surgery I could see some added fullness although I know my hair won't fully grow in for at least 4 to 8 months!!

I had a previous hair transplant to lower my hairline, while I was living in Baltimore. Dr. Vogel did an excellent job! I knew I would need a second hair transplant to add fullness. If I was still living in Baltimore I would have gone back!

I guess this is a double review for two great hair transplant surgeons. Dr. Vogel in Baltimore, Maryland and Dr. Friedman in Scottsdale.
Wow very impressive results. I'm in NY. I'd love to find a recommended Dr. Like Dr Vogel
Welcome, your results are impressive, so glad you shared with us and I look forward to your updates!!

Pictures posted for hair transplant surgery on 4/3/2014

I really hope my journal helps those with curly hair. So many black women suffer from traction alopecia and keep covering things up with extensions, wigs, and weaves. I was one of them. I decided to have a hair transplant cause I wanted to be able to wear my natural hair and not feel ashamed because of my thinning sides. I wanted to post my Preop pictures and my pictures hours after surgery.. Already there is a dramatic difference.. Look at the pictures and tell me Dr. Friedman doesn't have hair transplant down to a science. Please email me if you want further information. Carly, his patient coordinator is really great and will answer all of your questions!!

Suture Removed 4/14/2014

I had the sutures removed. I didn't clean the scar before I took the pics because I was so excited. The scar is still pinkish.. The dark stuff is the bacitracin the doctor applied to the wound. I'm happy with the results. I'll keep you all posted. Yes ladies, the doctor has to shave a certain amount of you hair for FUT hair transplant surgery but no worries it will grow back!!!
Thank you so much for posting. I agree that there are a lot of Black women affected but I have found very few previous experiences posted. Is your hair natural? I currently relax my hair and wonder how that affects the procedure? Will I need to stop relaxing my hair prior to treatment?
I am natural.You shouldn't relax your hair 3 weeks before treatment.After I wouldn't relax my hair at least 6 weeks post. Girl, go buy you a full lace wig if you are worried about that. LOL!! I do plan on getting a texturized maybe 6 months post. I will post updated pics in a week but you won't see significant changes until month 3 or 4.. Hair has started growing around my donor scar area so you may not see the scar but it really hurt having to have that area shaved but it is hair and it will grow back.. The area where the donor strip will be harvested must be shaved. The area is like one and a half inch wide…barely noticeable.
Hi Lynn, Thank you so much for posting this review. I am going to get a transplant to lower my hairline and to fill in my thin edges. How many grafts did you receive? You price is excellent. I was quoted $10k for 3000 grafts from a Dr in Cali that specializes in black hair. I live in Texas and I cannot find a doctor I fell comfortable enough that they can work on curly hair. I am going to google your doctor. How long did you stay in Arizona? Thank you !!!

A few one month pics

The first and fourth pictures are my preop pictures!!!

Sorry.. The first and fourth pictures are my preop pictures!!! The second, third and last are my post op pics!! I see a little shock loss but also see hair growth. I'm beginning the"ugly duckling/where the in the hell is my hair that I paid for" stage.. LOL.. I posted my preop pics and then my post op pics.. I'm not worried because this is my second hair transplant and I know what to expect. I'll see a few more sprout at month 3 and 4 but literally overnight the hair will start growing in at month 6, 7, and 8... I also noticed in my post op scar pic the hair has really started coming back.!! I'm soo excited.. Any questions, please email me!!!
Thank you for sharing your hair journey with us. I am also an African female contemplating a hair transplant. I suffer from traction alopecia which has progressively gotten worse over the years. Please continue to share your pictures with us. Also, how much time off work did you need for this procedure? Thanks
Sorry for the delay response. I would suggest taking a minimal of 5 days off of work. My surgery was Thursday morning and I went back to work on Tuesday... I will post new pics.. Please let me know how you think my growth is coming along....
Thanks for posting this! Seriously... great post but I do have one question...did you feel any pain during the procedure? I am thinking about getting it done in Thailand in a month of so.

2.5 Months Post Op Pics

I've been so busy at work and apologize for the late posting. These pics were probably taken 2.75 months post op. Please let me know what you think. Pre op I had a few strands on the front and temporal area. I actually have hair. I also have a few scalp pimples which is normal and indicative of hair growth. I won't see any substantial growth for a few more months.

Also I posted the wrong price. I financed 5,500 but paid 1,500 in cash before surgery... so mu surgery actually cost about 7,000. I sincerely apologize for any confusion.

I did a side by side of my 1month post op and 2.5 month post op!! I have new hair!!!!!! :-)

OOPS FORGOT TO PUT THE SIDE BY SIDE

ON THE LEFT IS MY ONE MONTH PIC AND ON THE RIGHT IS MY 2.5 MONTH PIC!!! I'M HAPPY SO FAR! What do you all think?
Thank you for sharing! I'm an African woman with temporal hair loss due to Traction Alopecia and after seeing more black women sharing their stories (Toneal21 :-D) I'm even more convinced and will make it happen.I will keep on following your progress and wish you a bountiful head of hair :-)
NatalieKa, when u decide to get it keep us updated and we wish you the best of luck :)
I will most definitely :-)

3 month one week update

Well, I see some small growth. My frontal area is starting to get a bit fuller. This is only my third month and this is about 20% of my hair growth so I'm encouraged. The third and fourth months are the hardest cause you are just getting over having the surgery and probably starting looking at your hair in the mirror like 10 times a day... LOL! I have a few scalp pimples, not too large but my doc says this is a good sign of growth. My donor scar has been itching like crazy so I brought some cortisone cream.. AAAAAGGGHHH.. it feels so good. My frontal area itches a bit, but I apply cocoa butter to the recipient area.. It helps a bunch... Please let me know what you all think!!!!
Good luck and I truly pray that your results continue to amaze you!
Looks great !!!
Wishing You Good Luck...your hairs are growing fast.
Dr. Friedman

Carly, the patient coordinator responded very quickly to all my fears. I was especially concerned about Dr. Friedman's ability to work with black hair. Dr. Friedman IS THE DOCTOR OF HAIR TRANSPLANTS. He really has this down to a science. I'm a very doubtful person but I absolutely trusted Dr. Friedman. If I had to do it all over again.. I would definitely go back to Dr. Friedman!