Too Aggressive - Some Nerve Damage - Santa Monica, CA

I was 40, and my eyelids were starting to go - the...

I was 40, and my eyelids were starting to go - the uppers were getting droopy and crepe-y, and the bags underneath were getting obvious. When I went in for the consult, I said I didn't want an obvious, "ping-pong ball", lady-newscaster look - I wanted to go as subtle as possible, not look obviously different, just the minimum.

But when I woke up after the surgery, my right lid drooped - it wouldn't open equal to the left. And the right lower lid line wasn't tight to the eyeball. Massry and his staff assured me this was only temporary. Except for that, the work looked subtle. But as it healed and the swelling went down - guess what I had - the exact over-done ping-pong ball look I didn't want! It looks especially bad in photos- my eyes just look hollow. I avoid cameras now. And as for my right eye - it definitely has deep/thick scarring in the upper lid crease, I can still feel it, it's slightly tight when I blink (unlike the left, which I don't feel). And the lower lid never did completely tighten again against the eyeball, as the left did. And I still have bags! He took out the wrong part of the lower lid fat! So annoying.

All this left me with the distinct feeling that something went wrong in surgery, but they covered it up / never told me.

This all happened just before the internet became a real search resource - I looked for Massry's office to leave a review - but he'd closed and I couldn't find him for years. The date I put is approximate, but it was definitely in the spring of 2000.

Since then I've dreamed of getting it fixed elsewhere, but lacked the funds. If I had to do it again, I would suggest a slight eyebrow lift and just laser the lower lids - not a quad blepharoplasty, as Massry suggested. Not only was that option too much to suggest, but he was definitely too aggressive in the overall look.

Choose carefully & do the least procedures possible. Definitely consider going elsewhere. Take care.
Los Angeles Oculoplastic Surgeon