Too Aggressive - Some Nerve Damage - Santa Monica, CA

I was 40, and my eyelids were starting to go - the...

I was 40, and my eyelids were starting to go - the uppers were getting droopy and crepe-y, and the bags underneath were getting obvious. When I went in for the consult, I said I didn't want an obvious, "ping-pong ball", lady-newscaster look - I wanted to go as subtle as possible, not look obviously different, just the minimum.

But when I woke up after the surgery, my right lid drooped - it wouldn't open equal to the left. And the right lower lid line wasn't tight to the eyeball. Massry and his staff assured me this was only temporary. Except for that, the work looked subtle. But as it healed and the swelling went down - guess what I had - the exact over-done ping-pong ball look I didn't want! It looks especially bad in photos- my eyes just look hollow. I avoid cameras now. And as for my right eye - it definitely has deep/thick scarring in the upper lid crease, I can still feel it, it's slightly tight when I blink (unlike the left, which I don't feel). And the lower lid never did completely tighten again against the eyeball, as the left did. And I still have bags! He took out the wrong part of the lower lid fat! So annoying.

All this left me with the distinct feeling that something went wrong in surgery, but they covered it up / never told me.

This all happened just before the internet became a real search resource - I looked for Massry's office to leave a review - but he'd closed and I couldn't find him for years. The date I put is approximate, but it was definitely in the spring of 2000.

Since then I've dreamed of getting it fixed elsewhere, but lacked the funds. If I had to do it again, I would suggest a slight eyebrow lift and just laser the lower lids - not a quad blepharoplasty, as Massry suggested. Not only was that option too much to suggest, but he was definitely too aggressive in the overall look.

Choose carefully & do the least procedures possible. Definitely consider going elsewhere. Take care.
Los Angeles Oculoplastic Surgeon

please show us photos from the work that Dr. Massry did on you.
I had a consult with Dr. Massry to see if I have ptosis. I never had a surgery by him, I do have mild ptosis in one eye but not bad enough that I need surgery, I need an upper bleph revision and I am considering having Dr. Donald Yoo from Beverly Hills do it
My question was to JewelD, unless you are the same persona. JewelD describes an operation with Dr. Massry that cost 5,000 $. I would like to see how it was before and after, otherwise is way too much to accuse somebody without proofs. I haven't seen work of this surgeon.
Please update me on your condition. I went in to consult with Dr. Massy on lower eyelid surgery now I am not so sure after reading your review. Also what other oculoplastic surgeons will you be getting a consult with and how are they going?
hi heavenly29, is your Please update me on your condition question for me (botched bleph?) or JewelD?
Hi actually I would like to hear updates from both of you guys and how your consults are currently going? which doctor did you decide to go with? and your overall thoughts on Dr. Massry eye surgery.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

botched, is that your eye? I looked at your profile and didn't see any reviews. I assume you had a bad outcome, are you going to share it here? Thanks!
yep StillSouthern...that's my right eye that I took not to long after my surgery 5 years ago. I didn't know how to put in pic's but I got this one if for my profile, I only have 2 before pic's that I got from the doctor who did my surgery and they aren't very good because my eyes were puffy from a lot of crying due to a family tragedy and at that time I didn't think to take any before's of myself. As you can see in this pic is the incision is made between the eyelash line and the crease when it should have been on the crease, the left eye was cut on the crease. After all the swelling went down I noticed that when my eyes were open you can see the lid of the left eye and very little of the right eye (in the pic), not to mention I have scarring on both lids especially the right lid, when I asked the doctor why he cut my right eye were he did and not on the crease he told me because my right eyebrow is much lower than the left brow.....ok I know that... so now I have uneven and scarred eyelids and uneven eye brows. Since I was under anesthesia I had him do my lowers which needed very little and with all the crying they were puffy and with that concern I asked him if he knew how to allow for that and he said yes.....well he took out to much, now my lower's are a bit hollow and when I smile the skin is crepey and wrinkly...there is more but I don't want to write a book here....lol...I will say I had total trust in this doctor he has 30+ years experience and is strictly a facial plastic surgeon. I went to him for at least 5 years for botox before this surgery. About 15 years ago I worked for a Board Certified Otolaryngologist and Plastic Surgeon who did eyes, facelifts, tummy tucks, noses, breast augs etc. and they all turned out great, I helped in surgery and also took care of his before and after pic's so I saw everyone he did.... I had lipo a breast aug and my nose done by him all with no problems, he did so many eyes he could have done them blind folded and would have done a better job than what the doctor that did my eyes and a lower face lift did to my face.
can you post more photos? who was your surgeon?
The surgeon who did this was Dr. Wafik Hanna in Hinsdale Illinois, I am going next week to consult with 4 surgeons in Beverly Hills I will work on how to post more pic's and if I decide to have a revision done I will be sure I have a lot of good clear before pic's
from what I read you can only post photos if you write a review? If so I haven't written a review regarding my botched bleph. But like I said if I get a revision I will be sure to post as many pic's as I can.....a picture is worth a thousand words
That is very scary :( Were you able (and brave / optimistic enough) to try and fix it? Did the doctor agree that it was a poor outcome? That is one of the things that is terrifying, that everyone can see there is a problem, but the doctor (s) ... (((hugs)))
when I asked the doctor if my right eye could be fixed he said no there wasn't enough skin and if he did I wouldn't be able to shut my eye...I just wanted to know cause if he said yes I would not have let him touch me...he also said I keloid ....it is not a keloid...there are also 2 horizontal scars on the outer part of my eyes below the outer part of my eyebrows the left one is really noticeable cause that eye is open more I asked him why there were incisions there and were they not going to be noticeable after healing and he told me he did not know I would have to wait and see...I have never seen an incision like that before...I was watching some you tube videos of Dr. Parsa in Beverly Hills and in the video he says that he can tell when someone had an upper bleph when he sees those kind of scars...I almost fell out of my chair when i heard that...the doctor that did my surgery must have been doing some old school techniques. I took about 8 different pics of my eyes after surgery because I never seen sutures on eye lids like I had. it was 1 years after my surgery that I went back to Dr. Hanna to confront him of these issues and he was very rude and arrogant, after he told me there was nothing he could do to fix it and walked out of the room...just his fee alone for the upper and lower bleph and lower face lift was $15,000.00 I was depressed before the surgery and after the surgery I cant even explain how terrible I felt, I hate looking in a mirror. And for his so called lower face lift (which was added at the 11th hour) my face skin looks worse today than before the surgery I now have chipmunk jowels UGHHHH!!! He is now on realself with 2 reviews (probably from his office staff) offering specials....ha what does that tell you ????? out fishing for his next victim
I did find a couple of women on realself that he also messed up. one lady has a scar on her eyebrow I think he did a brow lift???? through the eyebrow????? I just don't know its all just a bad nightmare....the doctor I worked for has retired, he did great work his incisions were just flawless
and thanks for the hugs and your support StillSouthern I appreciate it
That is horrible! Scares the daylights out of me honestly. I can understand that sometimes something might go wrong, some unpredicatable anatomical issue or who knows, but this just sounds like Dr. HANNA shouldn't be allowed to practice and he should have to make this right for you.. somehow ... again, so sorry bb XO
I also heard and read that Dr. Massry is an excellent surgeon and what might have happened to JewelD 14 years ago is unfortunate I haven't read any problems like that since
Every review of Dr Massry has been excellent, except JewelD. Have never seen any bad pics of his work either...
yes I did send it devon54 I triple checked cause I sent a copy to myself....yes this does seem odd indeed....no response from devon54?!?!?!?!
Hi there,

We don't have record of a PM from you to either devon54 or JewelD. However, there is a comment below, from you, that says, "may I ask who did your surgery? was it Dr. Massry?" JewelD responded.

Could you please email us any additional information you have so we can look into this further?

--Sharon
ok I am really confused....I sent a private message to "devon54" wanting to know who did her surgery and was it also Dr. Massry and got a reply back from "JewelD"..... is devon54 and JewelD the same person?????
Are you sure you sent it to devon54? That's a little ... odd?
What do you mean by "nerve damage"?
Well, when I first woke up from the procedure, my right eye wouldn't open more than partway. It just drooped (while my left eye opened as expected, given the swelling). This went on for some time after - gradually improving - but it never completely returned to 100%. The thick (14 year old) scar tissue still pulls when I blink, and my lower lid is slightly pulled down & away from the eyeball. Though "hollow' looking, my left eye is more akin to my natural look than my right, which looks especially bad in pictures. This [hollow look] has been the case ever since the swelling receded, and still remains today.