Silicone Implants Removed - Santa Monica, CA

?I had silicone implants (300 cc) placed in 1986

I had silicone implants (300 cc) placed in 1986 and had them removed in June 2013. They actually looked very real! I thought they were ruptured due to slight variations in appearance over the past 5 years and occasional sensation of burning in the breast area. When I discussed my concern about possible ruptures with my GYN he advised me that he didn't think they were ruptured due to the smooth contour and symmetrical appearance. He agreed to order an ultrasound to evaluate the implants due to their age alone (26 years).

My insurance advised they would pay for an ultrasound but not a MRI (which is the gold standard for evaluating ruptured breast implants). I paid the $1200 cash out of pocket expense and soon afterwards received word from my GYN that "yes they are ruptured" but had not migrated to surrounding tissue.

On the day of my explant surgery I asked to have my ruptured implants photographed. In the photos the red/orange material on the side are the capsules that formed around the implants. Luckily, the capsules prevented the implants from migrating into surrounding areas of my body. The yellow "jelly fish" like material are the ruptured implants themselves.

Those sexy breasts of mine may have looked attractive on the outside but they weren't so pretty on the inside. I am truly happy to be free of the implants and back to my natural self.

3 months post breast implant removal

My breast implant placement scars are around the areola. The scars under my breast (in the crease) were made from the explant surgery. Mederma ointment is helping decrease the scar appearance every day and week.

Granted, many women would not like their breasts as small as mine are now but I was an "A" cup prior to surgery and went to a full "B" cup with the implants.

The only reason I could have done this surgery was by reading the many comments on the forum. I don't know who exactly to thank but my sincere gratitude goes to the many women who wrote about their experiences prior to my own surgery on June 12, 2013. I don't think I would have done the explant without their comments.
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Tracy Cordray MD is an amazing plastic surgeon. Patient, good listener, great bedside manner, and provided better than expected surgical results.