Nothing Lasts Forever - Santa Barbara, CA

I hope this will help anyone who might be...

I hope this will help anyone who might be interested in having an Endotine Midface Lift. I had my lift in April 2007 in Santa Barbara California in my early 40s. My cheeks descended with age and though I was relatively young, I had deep tear troughs, prominent nasolabial folds, flat cheeks and thin lips that sagged downward. I never would have considered surgery except that everyone around me kept saying "you look so tired" and when I looked in the mirror even though I felt happy, my face looked tired and a little angy or sad. The surgery was outpatient, took longer than the surgeon expected (4 hours) because of a prominent cheekbone on the left. After surgery I was swollen and bruised for 10 days. I needed someone to help care for me for 3 days after the surgery (feed me, bring me meds, take me to the bathroom, help me wash up). The pain was manageable and, being somewhat afraid of nausea associated with stronger pain medications, I used over the counter acetaminophen for pain and diphenhydramine for sleep for 3 days post op. I iced around the clock for 3 days. For 2 months I looked different and was hoping for a little less cheeky appearance. However, when I went back to work 3 weeks after surgery the response was positive ("I'll have what you're having..what did you do?"). After 2 months I was very, very happy with my appearance for 5 years. Very relieved not to hear the tired comments anymore plus I looked like I did when I was in my early 30's. Just after year 5 I noticed my cheeks were falling again. So, though I'm happy I did the surgery and I still have some results (my photos today look better than they did 5 years ago), I thought the results would last longer. I will be trying to augment/lift my cheeks with fillers before I would consider another surgery again. TIme marches on and I think the takehome point is though the surgery was difficult, it was worth it, BUT the assurances that I received that results would be long lasting were not accurate. (I think I heard forever...or maybe I just wanted to hear that?) Mine were great without touchups for only 5 years.

Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Keller is a fantastic physician and teacher of surgeons who, at the time of my surgery, had done the most Endotine Midface lifts in the nation. I researched online the various techniques for lifting the midface (cheeks) and consulted with 2 other surgeons, both specialists in plastic surgery of the face only, before choosing Dr. Keller.

Hi. The Endotine device was placed under the muscles of my cheek to lift the muscle. What I describe above was not done endoscopically but through incisions at my scalp. This was a true mid face lift not a minifacelift. Since my last post I've had a touch up lift with filler and am pretty happy with the results. I'm pretty sure the surgery is still available but many surgeons have their own approach (through the lower eyelid) now with and without the device used for my surgery.
Mini facelift, or cheeklift is not the same as a more permanant midface lift. The first one lifts the fat pads in your cheeks and resuspends them, midface lift resuspends the muscles losing tone and lengthening due to age or genetics. Much longer recovery time of 8 to 12 weeks.

I agree, that's disappointing that your results didn't last longer than 5 years. Do you know if this surgery is still available? I haven't heard much about it, so I'm thinking it might not be very common any more?

Of course it's a typo/misconception -- endoctine facelift means endoscopic facelift, I'll bet.
Please see my update above