Fair, Freckled Skin/45 Years Old/5 Years of Glycolic Acid Treatments - Sandweiler, Luxemburg

The first year or two, I had a dermatologist's...

The first year or two, I had a dermatologist's office perform the peels (20-30%) and I used Neostrata wash and lotion - but only did this during winter months, as instructed by my doctor. I loved the Neostrata 15% lotion so much I used it all over my body and am certain it helped fade my stretch marks!

After awhile I realised I could do it at home and bought the glycolic acid (30%) on Amazon. I use baking soda and water to neutralise. I leave it on about 5-8 minutes each time. Again, only in winter months. I used SPF 30 for ten years but now have upgraded to 50 as I realise the sun is by far and beyond (along with cigarettes and too much alcohol!) the worst beauty killer. I keep telling my 30 something girlfriends to stop smoking and going in the sun and smoking....but alas...they will soon find out...

My only regret is that I didn't do my chest as often as I did my neck and face. I am 46 but people say I look 37ish....however my chest looks ten years older. I just got IPL and am very happy with the results. But it seems more than 1-2 IPL treatments can be bad, so won't go nuts with it.

I did do my hands occasionally and they look fine, no age spots. Wrinkles but no spots. I used it on my breasts for stretch marks and it definitely faded them.

Last summer I did have a terrible allergic reaction to the sun on my face and chest and maybe it has to do with these treatments. No way of knowing. So I changed sunscreen brands (Avene to Eucerin) and will totally avoid laying in the sun even for one day now. Self-tanner is my lifesaver because I am soooo pale.

I do have age spots on my legs and arms from not using sunscreen and there are depressingly so many. Will IPL them this winter.

Basically, I cannot recommend gentle and careful glycolic acid peels enough....but WITH big doses of sunscreen. I will bang into my daughters' heads that prevention is 100 times better than going thru the money and time and agony to fix things.
Do you notice that the sun brings out the dark spots on your face at an extreme level?   I have noticed that as I age my face hates the sun. The spots on my face get super dark!
Definitely. The age spots are due to excess melanin so that is logical. I totally avoid the sun now, which is rather sad as it is nice to lie out a tiny bit after a long winter. But with age I have started to also be much more sensitive to heat and the sun, I can easily get "Mallorca acne" as they call it in German - acne/eczema related to heat and sun. But I am not sure if that is related to age or the ozone layer having totally changed since my youth!
I would say that it probably has to do a little bit of both!  Frustrating in so many ways.
Dr. Kenneweg

I adore Dr. Kenneweg, been seeing her for many years and she is so conservative and gives me entirely natural results!