Zerona Scam - San Ramon, CA

DON'T DO IT!!! I wish I had listened more...

DON'T DO IT!!! I wish I had listened more carefully to the negative reviews on here. Instead, I went into the clinic hopeful... and now, 4 weeks later, walked out without any inch loss. Hugest scam I have ever heard of! I was hoping I would have a wonderful review of the Zerona product, but it was a huge waste of time and money. It's a silly laser for heavens sake! I should of known better =( Trust me, DO NOT DO IT!!!

I am typically a smart person, I am a grad student after all, and I fell for the hugest scam of all time. I feel like a complete dumb-ass, but I guess I learned my lesson. So, originally, when I went in, I met with Jenna, the sales gal. She is nice, and sweet, and convinced me to give them a try, (for over $2,000). She said that I should not need more than 6 sessions since I just have one problem area and am not largely overweight. So, I trusted her (huge mistake) and signed on the dotted line. I went in for the first session, where the 2 staff members, Jenna and Leticia, measured me. I then lied under the laser for 20 minutes on my front and 20 minutes on my back. After the 40 minutes, they remeasured me and tried to tell me that I lost an inch or so. What really happens is that they measure a little lower on the thighs, so the circumference is slightly smaller. DUH! Anyone should be able to figure out this little trick.

So from there forward, I made sure to do the measurements myself in my problem area, that I know very well, and measured the exact same circumference each time....And of course it was 37 1/2 each time. So, after the first 6 sessions, I kept getting reassured by the girls (mostly Jenna) that I would see results. Jenna even told me that she started seeing results around the 6th session.

So, at this point, they gave me some additional sessions since I had not yet seen results (which was actually nice of them). Overall, I had 10 sessions, and the last few were for one hour as opposed to 40 minutes. I even talked to the "doctor" around session 6 or 7, and he assured me that I would see results.

By the way, the "doctor" is really a chiropractor, and I would be highly surprised if he was an actual M.D. He came across as a 35 year old frat boy... but that's besides the point. So after all 10 sessions, I met with the "doctor" and he originally said he was sorry that I did not see results and said he could not refund me any money since I had used all 10 sessions. He tried to pull something about the laser time costing $3,000 a month to lease (details that I could of cared less about), but then at another moment he told me how he owned the lasers.

Talking to the "doctor" was an interesting experience because he kept contradicting himself, and was super nervous and did not know how to professionally handle my complaint. He said he could only refund me "non-used" sessions, which is funny because they kept giving me more sessions to use so of course there were no un-used sessions! The freebie sessions are given out freely, since there is no additional cost associated with using the laser that they have already purchased (even though the "doctor" tried to tell me how expensive it is to use the laser each time). I'm pretty sure that the zerona laser is the same type of laser that you see in the grocery store scanners.

The "doctor" tried to tell me to do more sessions, but I told him it was not worth my time or his staff's time. All I wanted was a 50% refund, which he refused. He tried to tell me that he would comp 3 sessions for a friend of mine, but why in the world would I want a friend to give him any business? The whole situation was completely absurd.

The funniest thing is that one of the girls kept telling me that I would get a refund if it didn't work.. HAHAH!! I ended up getting a 20% refund in the end, so I do give them a little credit for that, bit he still kept my additional $1,600.

Tom Vamvouris

WOW, I am shocked that there are not other reviews for this business! Well, let me be the first (and I am sure not the only) reviewer to tell everyone to STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay away from this business. They will take your money and will make you feel like an idiot for ever believing that a grocery store laser will zap away your fat. I read so many bad reviews about Zerona, and should have trusted them. The only reason I see people loosing weight with the lasers is because they are eating healthier and are exercising more. PERIOD. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THIS BUSINESS YOUR MONEY!!!! PLEASE!!!

Sounds like you didn't do your research! Just because you're a "grad student" doesn't make you street smart. Book smart is not the same. Case in point: You met with a sales person (always beware of the hard sell) who "talked" you into the $2,000 sale. You also noticed their method of measuring was not up to par. You began measuring yourself, but continued with the treatments. You also met with the doctor and wasn't impressed with his demeanor. You called him a frat boy and then discovered he was nothing more than a Chiropractor. Where's the research prior to the commitment?

My point is, if they promised you results in the first session and you saw none, why go back? You paid someone for treatments, yet you measured yourself because you didn't trust their numbers. Yet, you continued to go back.

Wouldn't it have been a better deal if you had done more research? I think the best research is word of mouth from someone who's gone to a reputable physician who does nothing more than ZERONA laser treatments.

Learn by your mistakes and move on. Maybe you will research a doctor who is a licensed plastic surgeon with extensive training in lasers. I don't understand why people go to the first thing smokin'. It's their lives and bodies that bear the brunt of unscrupulous sales people and untrained doctors.

I hope you discover fitness as a way to correct this mistake. Who knows, maybe with a little fitness and healthy foods, you'll see the results afterall.
I was scammed with fake Zerona too. 6 treatments over 3 weeks, and zero measurement results. I maintained a good diet & exercise, and lost 1 pound in weight, and $600 in cash. That’s it.
This was at a clinic in Oakland, CA., run by college kids, with no doctor on site EVER.
I found this scam, and fell for it on Groupon. I'm put in a refund application, but no results yet.
Why 6 treatments over 3 weeks? Protocl is for 3 treatments every week and no more than 72 hours in between. Sounds like that didn't happen to you...
If that's the case then you are not likely to see good results.
Yes, that was the case. The first apt. was just a consultation encouraging a new crash diet regiment (since the laser obviously wouldn't do anything). All treatments were M-W-F, with no skips. The issue isn't that I didn't' get good results, but rather I didn't get ANY. The results would have most likely been more impressive if I just wore a magnetic Q-ring bracelet in my sleep... This stuff is pure quackery.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

You seem very professional in the manner in which you've addressed these negative comments. Where are you located?

We're ignoring San Ramon's whole experience because of one little phrase about her education? Let's keep the discussion on-topic, please: Zerona.

HAHA this is getting entertaining. And I do not think that my grad school is a scam. Not everyone can get into UC Berkeley's psychology program. It is actually quite competitive :) Have a great day everyone!
Who said anything about a grad student? You should be so ashamed of yourself for going out of your way to be so nasty and judgmental to someone who is just trying to help someone on this blog. Obviously, you must be miserable and/or leading a boring life,that you would take time to send a note like that.Don't bother responding because I will no longer waste my time responding to an classless person like you.

from the OP: "I'm typically a smart person, I AM A GRAD STUDENT AFTER ALL..."

I agree with the individual who contends she's been scammed twice. grad schools in this country are scams. anyone who has graduated from any univeristy can get into some school, somewhere that will be more than happy to charge tens of thousands of dollars. the return on investment for grad school is negative in many cases and the schools know this. how is that any different than a scam weight loss program???

Grad schools???? I thought we were talking about how she was scammed by inexperienced Zerona operators? Are you on some medication or did you miss a dose? Funny, funny. roflmao
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

ZERONA LASER DOES WORKS and is phenomenal. I know this because I have had it done and lost 15 inches and there was no pain and no down time. I went to NorCal Weightloss in Pleasanton Ca.(www.norcal-medical.com) My sister went to their San Ramon office and lost 9 in. in 6 treatments. I think it depends on if you go to a Doctor who has a new machine and Zerona Techs that have been certified by the Zerona company. The Dr. and nurses were so nice and professional and I knew they were honest because they signed a form that said it was guarunteed to make you lose at least 1 dress size in 2 weeks and my sis and I lost double that!! So please do not let one or two people that had a bad experience turn you away from this phenomenal PAIN FREE treatment that really works!! :)
It's good to know you've done your research and not jumped on the first thing smokin. I live near the Pleasanton area and will check out this NorCal Weightloss center. The key is you said DOCTORS AND NURSES!
I don't know what he would have done, however I do know what the agreement with SBMI is. The agreement is that they give you 6; if that doesn't work (after measuring and sending the file to SBMI) they give you another 6 and so on.
I own my machines and I sometimes give people even 18 sessions because on some people it takes longer, so I asked SBMI what happens if it's been awhile and the person still doesn't get any results (from experience, that only happen at about 5% of the cases) and they told me they will give a full refund.
As I said I don't like that 3rd party dealings so I own my machines and if someone is struggling, I give them more sessions, if it's been quite some time already, I give the money back.
Also as a side note, we care very much about our clients so common results at our clinics are 6-16 inches.
There was no type of contract involved in the process. I signed for the payment and then went into my first session. The girls that were helping me were very young... I didn't even see the "doctor" until I had complaints!
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Some insight, the doctor kept talking about the machine because he's leasing it. As part of that agreement, he buys packages of 6 sessions for X amount of money. Another part of that agreement is that they measure you and if you don't get enough inches, they send it over to the company and they will give the clinic another free package for you to use. I don't know the full details of that agreement because i don't lease but they told me that if it doesn't work after X amount of packages they will refund you the money.
Not sure how you suppose to know that without the doctor actually telling you all that but the end result was that you "quit" and he didn't have enough to give the company to get you a full refund.

By the way, that is why i don't lease my machines, I should be the one deciding when it's ok to give more sessions or when it's ok to give the money back, when you depend on a 3rd party, it makes things very difficult and then a situation like yourself happens.
Thanks for the information. It was funny because the "doctor" said that this had never happened. He claimed that I was the first person who did not see any inch loss... which I find difficult to believe. So are you saying that if I did not voluntarily choose to quit after 10 sessions, I could of received my money back? I don't think he was going to give me a decent refund... no matter how many sessions I had.

Welcome to RealSelf and thanks for sharing your experience with Zerona. I'm wondering if your contract said anything about "guaranteed results" or if that's just what the staff said?

Like RealSelf? Join us on Facebook