Brighter Complexion and Smoother Skin - San Ramon, CA

I've been on .05% Retin A for about two weeks. I...

I've been on .05% Retin A for about two weeks. I requested it from my dermatologist in order to try and fade my hyper-pigmentation and smooth out fine lines. I tried it for two days back to back the first week and started peeling pretty badly. I took a break for a week and will probably start using it once or twice a week going forward.

I've already noticed a change in the texture of my skin. It seems brighter, smoother and more moist. Its changed my maintenance ritual slightly. I have to be diligent about using a facial scrub to remove the dead skin and I slather on a high SPF every morning because of the increased sun sensitivity. Overall though, its a small price to pay for smoother skin.

It's wonderful that you had such a nice result after only 2 weeks of use. Do you have an update now that you're approaching 2 months of use?
Still love retin A although im using about once a week still. My skin continues to peel a lot with use, so its a little bit more maintenance with exfoliation and extra sunscreen. I'll probably use sporatically when my skin looks dull but still very satisfied with the results. It gives my skin a plumper appearance.
Thank you for your reply :-) Your results look terrific in your picture! ...May I ask what your usage was - How many days a week did you apply it and for how long a period of time until you settled on once a week? Or has it been once a week from the start (after the first 2 days of back to back application the 1st week)? Did you have to go through an adjustment period - Dryness, redness, flaky? Thanks :-)
Pretty much once a week from the start. I feel like im still going through an adjustment. yes, definitely flaking. Not really any redness though. My skin has never been prone to redness though. I would recommend using sparingly in the beginning, depending on your response. The flakiness is pretty noiceable for me , so its difficult to use sunscreen or makeup. I typically use on friday, so my skin has some time to recover before heading to the office. Hope that helps!
Using it once a week on a "Friday" is an excellent idea! I actually tried it back to back for 3 days, and my skin became extremely dry, flaky and DULL. It wasn't horrible, but it was enough for me to feel uncomfortable in the office like such - So I hear ya on that. I think I will transition my usage to once a week on a Friday per your suggestion. This way, as you pointed out, the skin has a couple days to recover before returning to the office. So the question becomes: Do you feel using it once a week is enough to make a significant difference in the appearance of your skin? You said your skin was peeling off in sheets - You're fortunate. Mine skin is flaky and dry, but it is definitely not coming off in sheets :-( Thoughts?

Glad to hear you are seeing nice changes so quickly! Did your dermatologist recommend you use the face scrub? I was under the impression exfoliants of that nature were off limits while on Retin-A so I would be curious to hear.

My dermatologist did not recommend it. I was worried using an exfoliant would irritate my skin, but I didn't really know what else to do. I didn't feel comfortable going to work the way I looked. My skin was peeling off in sheets and applying makeup just made it look worse.

Yeah, I can definitely understand why you would be tempted to use it. Please be very, very careful though. I would hate for too much exfoliation to cause you skin damage in the long run, for a better look in the short run. Hopefully since you are cutting back to only using the Retin-a once or twice a week the issue will resolve itself. :)