Suffered with Type I and Type II Rosacea for 20 Years - San Jose, CA

I have been suffering with type I rosacea for at...

I have been suffering with type I rosacea for at least 20 years, and type II for around 15 years. I had the classic red mask for so long that I didn't even know I could look "normal." But, as time went on, the standard MetroGel, Finacea and antibiotic treatment just didn't control it. My persistent rosacea progressed and I developed large bumps that would come and go. When they were present, my face would be swollen and so, so painful. It would plaster my fast with make-up to try to hide my shame and pain. After years of visits to the dermatologist, my rosacea just never got any better. It went on for years upon years.

During pregnancy in 2008, I wasn't permitted to use any of my regular topical or oral treatments, so my rosacea went completely berserk. There are so many photos of myself during pregnancy or, more importantly, while my little girl was a newborn baby in which I can't see anything except my horrific skin. I'm gazing into my beautiful baby's eyes, yet I can't see the joy of the moment. I recall clearly the painfulness of my face and ugliness of my skin. Some time after my daughter was done breastfeeding, I sought out a new dermatologist. Enough was enough. I tried one doctor for about a year, and my rosacea got better, but still wasn't good enough. I wanted to get this WELL under control, and I didn't feel like that doctor was being aggressive enough.

So, I kept looking, and found Dr. Colby. Dr. Colby is so well versed in the latest rosacea and related treatments that, after listening to my story, my concerns, and all of the topicals/orals I had tried, she started me on a completely new regimen. Within just a few short weeks, my skin CLEARED UP. I barely get so much as a pimple anymore, and the redness is well under control. I'm able to wear powder mineral based makeups instead of heavy, full coverage liquids. I even feel comfortable going without makeup in public! Dr. Colby has changed my life.

I don't know why previous doctors insisted so much...

I don't know why previous doctors insisted so much on using the same damn treatments, just in different amounts or combinations. They didn't work! When I found Dr. Colby, she recognized that I needed to finally be doing something difference. So, we tossed out the Metrogel, Finacea and oral antibiotics and moved on to Atralin and AcZone. She even gave me coupons and discount cards from the manufacturers so my insurace would cover these otherwise not-covered medications. This has helped keep the cost of refills down, considerably. And, inside of two months, my skin was essentially clear! I think that using the same old standard medications for so many years caused my skin to build up a tolerance, perhaps, because I'm sure my Rosacea didn't go into remission on its own. I'm very pleased with the Atralin and AcZone. I haven't had any side effects, like itching or burning, from either topical. And I'm THRILLED not to be on oral antibiotics anymore.
San Francisco Dermatologist

I found Dr. Colby after years of failed treatments for my rosacea. I solicited recommendations from friends on Facebook and did research on what my peers had recommended. I found California Skin Institute and decided to try Dr. Colby based on her reviews and friends' recommendations. Sometimes I have to wait too long for my appointment, but if seeing Dr. Colby means that my rosacea stays in remission, then I'm willing to be patient. The clinic is a very busy place with numerous doctors offering a tremendous spectrum of services. The doctors are reputable and the ones I've chosen for my various issues have all been rated highly on various health and public review sites. The only downside I've experienced in my interactions with Dr. Colby has been her nurse. I do not recall her name, but when the nurse is taking info from me at the beginning of the appointment, I feel extremely rushed and like she's not listening to me at all. She is short in attention and a bit condescending. Once Dr. Colby is in the room, I feel like I'm in good hands with a doctor who is hearing my concerns and working with me on solving this lifelong and very depressing ailment.

Thank you for telling us your story...... I have the same problem, I have been using metrogel for the past 20 years and when the doctor discontinued prescribing it I have been going back every month for antibiotics, which is the only thing that clears my face but as soon as I stop using it, it all comes back........ I'm definitely checking with another doctor to seek something new...... Thank you!
I have rosacea and wrinkles. I am using metrogel and atralin. I wonder if I should just dump the metrogel and see if the atralin on its own will deal with the rosacea (which is well under control) and with the wrinkles and dark spots as well. I would rather use less than more stuff on my face. Any thoughts anyone??
In my above post, I forgot to mention one more topical treatment. It's a sodium sulfacetamide and sulfer wash. I use it every morning. I started on this sulfur wash and Atralin when I stopped the Metrogel and Finacea. The AcZone was added later for continued management of blemishes. I think the sulfur wash has been the most effective of anything I've tried. My skin wasn't responding to anything else, not significantly, until I added that.

This was a great story to read. I'm so happy to read that you are loving the changes you are seeing in your skin and congratulations on the birth of your baby, though I know its much after the fact now.

Please continue to keep us updated if the medications continue to work for you, or if you decide to try something new.