I Think It's About Time to Go for It - Rhinoplasty

Hi realselfers! For the last few years, I've been...

Hi realselfers! For the last few years, I've been dissatisfied with the appearance of my nose. As an African, my nose is characterized by a wide alar base, flared nostrils, a thick skin, and lack of a defined bridge, all of which I'd like to improve upon through surgery. Living in western Canada, there aren't many surgeons here who work on many ethnic patients - making my search for a suitable surgeon a little harder. I did, however, consult with one doctor in Vancouver who seemed nice and receptive to my concerns with my nose and questions about the procedure. But after the initial consultation, other questions I had where not responded to for at least some days (3-4 days). It felt as though I was an annoyance to them and I knew from that moment that surgeon wasn't the one for me. I then looked at before and after pictures of some surgeons' work in eastern Canada and also read their patient reviews, and because of the mix of positive and negative reviews I read on each, I just didn't want to take a risk and go see any of them.

So then I looked into surgeons in the states and I set up online consultations with one surgeon from Beverly Hills and another from San Jose. Both these surgeons have much experience in dealing with Asian plastic surgery, which I liked since there are similarities in the nasal anatomy between some Asians and Africans. The consultation with the surgeon from Beverly went well and he answered all my questions and was informative about the procedure. The only thing I didn't feel comfortable with is that he had some good and bad reviews from previous rhinoplasty patients. Also, I had asked him to explain the complications of the surgery, and although he said he hadn't experience medical complications, he described how the cosmetic complications he gets are that "the nose is too sharp, problems with the bridge, etc." The "nose too sharp" made me feel a little uneasy because of how my goal for the bridge of my nose is for it not to be sharp and instead to be natural-looking. What I really liked about this surgeon is how he personally replies to your emails in a prompt manner (within a few hours at minimum and 1day at the most). Also, the quote he gave is $6,000 USD for the surgery. The price was originally $6,500 USD, but because of the Canadian currency conversion rates, he was willing to bring it down to $6,000 USD for me. He didn't even hesitate to do that for me, which I thought was very kind of him.

The surgeon from San Jose was also friendly and informative about the procedure. He went into detail about the structures beneath the skin of the nose and discussed how he would do the surgery. I just had the skype consultation with him on Tuesday and at the end of it, he requested photos of my nose to determine if he'd need to break the nasal bones. I sent them to him soon afterwards and I'm just waiting for a response back at this point to find out if he'll need to do that and also what the cost would be for the surgery. Since Tuesday, I've thought of some other questions to ask him, but i think I'll wait to ask him after I get a response back from him. When I searched for reviews on him, pretty much all of them rated him well and talked about his good personality. The reviews helped me build trust in him for performing this delicate and complex surgery I'm hoping to go through.

I'll be sure to update once I hear back from this doctor and when I decide on which doctor to go with.

Heard back from Doc in San Jose

Hey guys!! So I heard back from the doctor in San Jose and he advised he'd have to break my nasal bones, which I was hoping wouldn't be needed. He also gave me a quote close to $9,000 usd for the whole procedure ( $5,925 for the rhinoplasty and about $3,000 for the surgical center and anesthesiologist fees). Because this amount is quite out of my price range, I set up another Skype consult with a different surgery from LA (no charge for consultation). He's specialized in African American noses, which I really liked. The consult went better than my previous ones. This doctor answered questions thoroughly and gave me his thoughts on why some black people end up with undesirable/unnatural nose jobs. He explained how he believes part of it is from surgeons using the same techniques used on Caucasian noses onto ethnic noses, how there's a disconnect between what the patient wants/expresses and what the surgeon actually understands from the patient, and also the skill of the patient. He advised he wouldn't break my nasal bones so my nose wouldn't have the "operated look." He said he'd give support in the tip of my nose so that it doesn't droop when I smile, which as a result, would make the tip a look a little narrower and give me some definition along the bridge without it looking pinched. I got a good feeling from this surgeon with his knowledge and his personality. I'm now waiting for an email from his assistant which will contain the cost and the changes we discussed and then I'll go from there. The consultation was done at the end of day today so I'm hoping I'll receive that info by tomorrow.

I'll keep posting when I get more info!!

Heard back from Doc

Hey guys! So I heard from his assistant and the quote given came just a few dollars over $8,000 USD; but with the conversion rates, I'm looking at close to $8,800 CAD. I also scheduled another Skype consultation with him to go over some questions I had. I hope to through with the surgery next month

some current pics pre -surgery

jason Hamilton

Dr. Jason Hamilton

Bay
Best Wishes Bat Area Sis! :)
Ah you posted some pics i'm assuming you'll be getting your surgery done very soon. I'm so excited for you
Thanks girl!! I really hope to go through it :)
Hey codified, yea I'm hoping to do it soon :). Thanks for your support :). How's your search going for a doc to do your revision? I agree the docs here in Canada don't have much experience with our kind of noses compared to the American docs, so I agree with how you're looking for an American doc to do your revision. Best wishes and talk soon!
Please update us on your results/experiance with him! I'm flying out next month 10/24 to have a in prison consult with him, and will decide from there whether to move forward with him performing my fourth revision.
Yea i will definitely update on here. He really is knowledgeable and helpful with answering questions and addressing concerns. He's also very open and honest about what you can expect after the surgery. I wanted to have my surgery for October; however my friend who's suppose to accompany me isn't sure anymore she can come, so I'm not sure exactly when I'm gonna do it now
I saw that you consulted with dr. Hamilton... I'm scheduled for surgery on oct. 7... We only consulted by phone with pictures... But I have to do a presurgery consult the day before.. I love his honest opinion, but I hate the lack of reviews... I'm just putting trust in him... But I'm scared.. This is my second surgery.. My first doctor was white and literally took off all my nostrils, and I hate it. Keep me posted!
Good luck.
Thanks :)
I'm also a Black Canadian I've had my nose done once already and i'm looking to get a revision done by a surgeon from America. I would love to see how things workout for you it would help me out a lot
Hi codified! Yea for sure, I'll keep updating on here. The doctor I last spoke to is Dr. Jason Hamilton, and he specializes in ethnic noses. He also specializes in revisions :)
Great will you be posting some pics of your results when you finally get your surgery?
Yea I'll post some before pics soon
Oooh, very exciting! I'm happy to hear you are doing your research into doctors. That is so important. I'll be checking back for your updates.
Yes, I completely agree! I'll make sure to update :)