I Should Have Done This Sooner! -San Jose, CA

I could not be happier with the results of my...

I could not be happier with the results of my double eyelid surgery! I've always fantasized about having double eyelids, but was scared of getting surgery. It seemed like such a drastic path to just have a place to put on eye makeup.

In hindsight, there was nothing to be scared of, and although the results are subtle, I notice my friends and family telling me that I seem happier these days. I think its that (a) I am happier because of the boost in my self confidence; and (b) the result changed my eyes to look like they are smiling on their own. For most Asian women, they cannot achieve the same long curled lash look as caucasians since their lashes naturally go downwards. But I didn't realize that it was because of my monolid that my eyelashes don't go outwards. Now, I can curl and lengthen my lashes just like anyone else! Having curled lashes makes you look more awake, which is why my eyes "smile" all on their own now.

I also used to have the issue where my eyeliner would end up on my upper lids, no matter what I did. Now, because my eyeliner doesn't touch my lids, it stays right where its supposed to. I'm not constantly looking in a mirror to touch up my smudged eyeliner, I know from the looks I'm getting that my eye makeup looks great.

The results have drastically improved my self confidence. I was afraid that the surgery would make me look I was ashamed of my nationality and be a "sell out". I didn't want to lose my Asian-ness. I've never thought of myself as pretty, but now I can look in the mirror and smile because I project that pretty Chinese girl I always wanted to be.
Thanks for sharing!  Love that you can wear eyeliner now and that your eyelashes are looking good!  I'm not sure what is going on in the second picture, is that the one you meant to post?
thanks for your msg and oops, I did have the wrong photo! I've updated a bunch of photos to show more before and after results - pics tell the story very well!
Love all your photos!  Thanks so much for sharing.  Your results are wonderful, congrats :)

9 weeks after surgery

love my results and now my eyes are the same size too! :)

after pic - about 6wks later

love to wear eye makeup

see how you can see my eyeliner now and it doesn't disappear under my mono lid anymore!

new ID photo

This is in Oct 2013 when I was excited to get a new ID photo

Jan 2013 - before surgery

i never loved my eyes - i look sleepy all the time!
Hello, what was the measurement of your eyelids closed?
I have one single eyelid and one double I wounder what's the price range for one eye?
Thank you for sharing. You look great!
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr Lay is very approachable and will talk you through any qualms you may have about your procedure. He will show you before and after photos of his patients that are similar to you so you have a good idea of what your results may look like. He will give you suggestions based on his experience of what will look natural for your face. I appreciated how he was patient in answering all my questions thoroughly, even though these may be the same exact questions asked by every single patient, multiple times a day. He never made me feel like I had a question that was dumb or silly. His office is friendly and never crowded where you feel like you will only have 5 mins with the dr. The one thing that puts him above and beyond any other doctor I met with is that he has an inherent understanding of Asian culture. You may not think this upon your initial introduction to him since he does have a slight southern accent, but based on his experience, he can predict your questions. He knows that you'll be very concerned with how other Asians will perceive and critique your surgery results, how your family members may react, and that you don't want to look like a sellout and be the Asian person who got the double eyelid surgery. He has had so much experience with Asians that you feel comfortable talking to him about any Asian and "white" stereotypes. He has heard them all! He will also be your reassurance through post-op since you will look very swollen and bruised. He will show you photos of patients that were much more swollen than you and now have beautiful results. You will smile and think, of course you are reassuring me, but silently second guessing the positive results. It's not until 2 months later where all of the swelling is back down, you're getting compliments you never got before, your self confidence starts on the upswing, then 6 months later where you can really see what the final results areā€¦ and then that's when you'll want to write a review praising him. I didn't tell anyone outside of my parents and my boyfriend about the surgery and just told others that I was going on vacation. No one was able to pinpoint that I had surgery, but instead asked me if I got a new haircut or lost weight, or changed my skincare routine. That's exactly the results I was looking for. I wholeheartedly recommend Dr Lay for this procedure and wish I had done it years earlier with him!