37 Year Old, 4 Kids, Minor "Nip/tuck" Sought, Upper Eylids - San Francisco, CA

Dr Maas seemed attentive, listening and...

Dr Maas seemed attentive, listening and comprehending my desire -- AT FIRST -- for a small improvement to refresh my upper eyelids. He SEEMED to get that i was looking for a completely natural effect, just a more rested version of MYSELF. He did NOT get it at all. He is an act, all an act. He absolutely ruined my eyes, which were beautiful. He over corrected and left me looking hollow, gauged out, OLDER, sunken and like a stranger to myself. All who know me felt horrified for me, this man SCARES me and i cannot believe he's still in practice, he had his student fellow do most of the work -- i know bc I woke temporarily from the IV sedation to find Dr L.arry D. Sewing me up...practicing two types of stitches, one on each eye. My experience with Cory Maas is that he's a dangerous ego who does not have genuine respect for the individual lives behind each of us, his patients. If he gets a chance to do surgery on you, you're a "face." ("Ive got a face," I overheard him say on the phone, when I was despairing over the results of my surgery in the next room. It's one of those clarifying moments that I will never forget. My advice: RUN! I, happy to provide photos of my before/after to anyone who wants proof.)

Before/After photos

I have many (many!) photos that illustrate the horrible outcome of the upper bleph that Dr Maas (and his student doctor -- without my permission -- performed on my eyes. Here a a few. I never sued because I was too distraught just gettkng through each day, with children, a husband, a home. But I filed a complaint with the Medical Board of California. It's VERY hard to show wrongdoing but the Board did concede that Dr Maas failed to follow the standard of care in having his student do the surgery without my consent. My right lid has never closed all the way and, now years later, that eyelid droops terribly, accentuating the assymmetry I inherited from that surgery. Just very sad . If one person avoids my fate from this, I will feel at least a little better.

Photos on Dr. Maas's profile

In response to my negative review, Dr. Maas carefully picks and posts a pre-op and a post-op photo of my eyes. Judge for yourself indeed. And keep this in mind: he's asking me to smile big in the pre-op photo (you can see by my crow's). When smiling our eyelid muscle pulls our lids more heavily down around our eyes, certainly showing the most dramatic version of my complaint, for effect. I posted his pre-op photo of me at rest, at the 45 degree angle. More accurate. Also this -- for the post-op photo he chose, I had been crying for hours before the sitting (note red face and eyes) and so was as swollen as could be, which did really improve the gauged-out hollowness in my upper lids that was the norm and which would continue to settle in months after the surgery, as my photos show. At some point, a doctor should just say, "I made a mistake and I no longer [this former patient hopes!] remove a patient's fat and muscle in an upper blepharoplasty like we did back in the 70s and 80s... I no long make that same mistake that I once did."
Check out what another doctor said on this site:
"Many of my brow-upper lid junction structural fat grafting patients have come to my practice for the correction of hollowness created by the over-zealous removal of fat during an upper blepharoplasty surgery. I am continually amazed at how many cosmetic surgeons practice 1970's-era blepharoplasty surgery in the 21st century. I almost never remove upper lid fat during blepharoplasty surgery, and in many cases I actually add fat at the brow-upper lid junction. " wow. Dr. Michael Law...go there.
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for sharing. You are very pretty and it looks like you will overcome what that DR did. I, on the other hand am screwed for life I'm sure. I am 8 months post-op and must wait at least 12 months before any reconstructive surgery :(
thanks...i'm just living with it.
Im glad you are at least taking a stand and posting you're experience. Doctor thatc need to be exposed for their lack of ethics I would continue to voice this experience on other sites and expose his practice. You are helping others by doing so. Good luck
Thank you. I appreciate that. I have no desire to disparage Dr. Maas from a sense of revenge (I would have sued him if I had that kind of negative energy), but my very negative experience with him impacted my life badly and for a very long time. I have children, a husband, a home, pets, was a business lawyer, have friends, etc. I am not a "marginal" person and Dr. Maas responded to my terrible grief over what he did by trying to marginalize me, telling me that I had "body dysmorphic disorder" and that my results were just fine and it was all in my head. That was just insult to injury. He is truly not a good person and, frankly, I would be surprised if he hasn't gotten himself into more trouble because I don't believe he would be able to control his type of "God complex" where -- in my opinion, based on my experience with him -- he showed signs of not seeing himself as on the same plane as his patients. When I protested, four days post-op, that I awoke to his Fellow, Dr. Larry D. stitching up my right eye (and called him on it right there in the O.R.), and that Dr. D. had practiced two different types of stitches each on a different eye (wouldn't I just want the best stitch!?, done by the most experienced hand as I thought I was paying for?), Dr. Maas angrily said, "Oh, that's just NO BIG DEAL, Lisa!" I said well it's a big deal TO ME! Thanks for letting me vent.
Your eye lid has been raised (more fat taken out and skin lifted) in the inner to medial area of the upper eye. That causes the other half, medial to outer, to seem slanted downward AND to make the overall side to side width to Appear smaller. It is hollow but the difference between the inner half of the eye being different from the outer half is what exaggerates the hollowness. The change in appearance has to do with your surgeon's aesthetic sense of what makes a good cosmetic result. Unless a patient takes to the consult a picture , the more the better, which illustrates what you do want and more importantly what you DON'T want you are likely to have the mis-communication that often leads to undesirable results. I don't believe what concerns you is the result of another person doing the closing; that may be what the board cites him on but it is not at the heart of your problem. HE thinks a wide margin with a heightened inner/medial lift is ideal~ you do not. IMO most patients do not spend enough time telling the PS (and bring photos to illustrate their point) what they absolutely DO NOT want. They also don't spend enough time looking at his gallery for evidence that he does a rounded or downward-slanted outer eye lid which is exactly the antithesis of their desired outcome. If you feel you did bring him photos and thoroughly describe the particulars of what you absolutely didn't want then my apologies to you; but if you did this then you are the exception and not the rule. Best wishes for a remedy to this but short of fat transfer or filler, both of which are very difficult to do without complication, there is little that will make your eye lid shape, side to side, as it was before.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Dr. Maas claimed at that time to have "computer imaging technology" to show a patient her prospective result. He uploaded a photo he had taken of me and simply photoshopped onto my two-dimensional face very "large eyelids" as I called them (what you are more technically calling a high medial lift -- in other words -- the distance from my lash line to my eyelid crease was greatly raised, and the distance from my eyelid crease to my eyebrow was greatly diminished). I told my doctor, "Oh, no!! I do not want large eyelids like that. I want a much subtler change that simply makes me look more rested BUT STILL LIKE MYSELF!" I loved my eyes. I did not hate them. They were starting to look heavy as far as overhang. It was nothing extreme and there were certainly less invasive alternatives -- including some botox above the brow to lift a few millimeters.... Dr. Maas never pursued that conversation with me. So for the surgical option, I told him clearly that I still wanted "my" eyes, not someone else's eyes when I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I was not trying to grossly alter the anatomy of my eye as far as the aesthetic result. All of that I certainly did tell Dr. Maas. He simply "erased" the high medial crease from the screen in that pre-op consult and drew in a lower eyelid crease line. Hmmm.. so big red flags went up in my gut and I did not listen to my inner voice, which said, "this guy is not being straight with me...very likely what I just told him should trigger a longer explanation from him as to whether he can really achieve what I am looking for." I began to feel like I was asking too many questions and annoying him and he became terse and short with me. So I just said, well I hope for the best...he's supposedly the big-wig. I guess I have to trust. What a MISTAKE on my part and I take responsibility for allowing this man to destroy my eyes when I had the strong gut feeling from his behavior that I should stop the presses. AFTER the surgery, when I was sobbing in his office and begging him to tell me how he could have possibly gauged out my beautiful eyes...for what? For a few thousands dollars!?...reminded him how many times I had said that I only want "a little skin taken off....a subtle if important improvement....to look more rested!" To that, he said, "It's not that simple, Lisa, there's a FORMULA that has to be used based on your eyelids." A "formula!"?? Where was talk of the formula when he was looking at my image on the computer screen and I said I absolutely did NOT want the result he projected for me? Moreover, on the aesthetic point, objectively speaking -- who would ever want eyelids that look hollow and are the shape of the ends of paperclips? Only someone who has no "eye" -- pun intended.
LeeLee, You are so right! If , in his opinion his "formula" had to be applied AND the formula was going to yield the outcome you didn't want why create a false result on a computer. Take a look at post op KM DC who had very heavy lids resting on lashes and lifted the lid with a narrow margin but more importantly without the heightened medial/inner emphasis. It helps keep the eye even across its width making the eye seem wide and open without any hollowness. Agree????? grace
Yes! Exactly. That is what I sought. I have since had many girlfriends get the same upper eyelid blepharoplasty surgery and they're very happy with their subtle but significant refresher. They look just like themselves but 5 years before. I did not have the lingo but I very clearly conveyed to Dr. Maas that I wanted "very little skin taken" off and that I "didn't want big eyelids" and wanted "to look like myself but just a little heaviness lifted." It's not rocket science. Thanks for your message...it is my only consolation that others understand what I'm saying when the doctor is all denial.
I had a similar experience with a doctor who has since retired, leaving me with a hollow look and scleral show on bottom lids. I'm now trying to find a good doctor to correct the problem. I've had appointments with Dr. Peter Levin in Mountain View and Dr. Rona Silkiss in Palo Alto. If anyone has doctor recommendations for doing corrections, would love to hear your suggestions.
Elainey, I'm so sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with your eyes. It's the worst...the windows to our souls feeling marred or distorted is just a terrible thing. I have tremendous confidence in a Palo Alto surgeon named Dr. Seung Kim. He is truly an artist and a perfectionist. He is also honest and open about the limitations of any surgery and will let you know up front how much he can help you and what might go wrong. 650-325-2530. I've never tried to do anything corrective to my eyes but have been extremely impressed with Dr. Kim's work otherwise and on friends's eyes. Fixing is always harder to getting it right the first time. Best of luck.
OMG I am so sorry this happened to you and I am just horrified. I know someone that wants to go to Dr Maas and must warn them. I would very much appreciate if you could provide before and after pictures. Thanks so much.
Sorry it took so long for the pics. I had to dredge them up from storage and then take photos of them. This is now 10 years later. I still cried, after all this time, when I looked at at the pre-op and post-op photosI I would really hope your friend would go elsewhere if she's doing anything permanent. I'm sure he can do Botox, fillers and all that. It's temporary anyway and there's only so much variation. When the knife is involved, Dr. Maas is NOT the man.
Thank you for the reply however, I see no pics??
Oh how weird...they are on my "updated" review. See if you can click on my name. They're there somewhere. I'm looking at them on the site now. good luck.
I would be happy to. I need to dig them up out of a recent home remodel, scan, then send. It's been years since but I feel strongly that people should be warned about Dr Maas. I would never want the same devastating experience to happen to someone else. Just give me a few days to dig up the pics. Thanks
Thanks so much, it would a great deal to me before I make a decision.
Oh dear. I am sorry you have had this horrible experience. I hope you can find someone to help. There seems to be some good docs on the west coast.