37 Year Old, 4 Kids, Minor "Nip/tuck" Sought, Upper Eylids - San Francisco, CA

Dr Maas seemed attentive, listening and...

Dr Maas seemed attentive, listening and comprehending my desire -- AT FIRST -- for a small improvement to refresh my upper eyelids. He SEEMED to get that i was looking for a completely natural effect, just a more rested version of MYSELF. He did NOT get it at all. He is an act, all an act. He absolutely ruined my eyes, which were beautiful. He over corrected and left me looking hollow, gauged out, OLDER, sunken and like a stranger to myself. All who know me felt horrified for me, this man SCARES me and i cannot believe he's still in practice, he had his student fellow do most of the work -- i know bc I woke temporarily from the IV sedation to find Dr L.arry D. Sewing me up...practicing two types of stitches, one on each eye. My experience with Cory Maas is that he's a dangerous ego who does not have genuine respect for the individual lives behind each of us, his patients. If he gets a chance to do surgery on you, you're a "face." ("Ive got a face," I overheard him say on the phone, when I was despairing over the results of my surgery in the next room. It's one of those clarifying moments that I will never forget. My advice: RUN! I, happy to provide photos of my before/after to anyone who wants proof.)

Before/After photos

I have many (many!) photos that illustrate the horrible outcome of the upper bleph that Dr Maas (and his student doctor -- without my permission -- performed on my eyes. Here a a few. I never sued because I was too distraught just gettkng through each day, with children, a husband, a home. But I filed a complaint with the Medical Board of California. It's VERY hard to show wrongdoing but the Board did concede that Dr Maas failed to follow the standard of care in having his student do the surgery without my consent. My right lid has never closed all the way and, now years later, that eyelid droops terribly, accentuating the assymmetry I inherited from that surgery. Just very sad . If one person avoids my fate from this, I will feel at least a little better.

Photos on Dr. Maas's profile

In response to my negative review, Dr. Maas carefully picks and posts a pre-op and a post-op photo of my eyes. Judge for yourself indeed. And keep this in mind: he's asking me to smile big in the pre-op photo (you can see by my crow's). When smiling our eyelid muscle pulls our lids more heavily down around our eyes, certainly showing the most dramatic version of my complaint, for effect. I posted his pre-op photo of me at rest, at the 45 degree angle. More accurate. Also this -- for the post-op photo he chose, I had been crying for hours before the sitting (note red face and eyes) and so was as swollen as could be, which did really improve the gauged-out hollowness in my upper lids that was the norm and which would continue to settle in months after the surgery, as my photos show. At some point, a doctor should just say, "I made a mistake and I no longer [this former patient hopes!] remove a patient's fat and muscle in an upper blepharoplasty like we did back in the 70s and 80s... I no long make that same mistake that I once did."
Check out what another doctor said on this site:
"Many of my brow-upper lid junction structural fat grafting patients have come to my practice for the correction of hollowness created by the over-zealous removal of fat during an upper blepharoplasty surgery. I am continually amazed at how many cosmetic surgeons practice 1970's-era blepharoplasty surgery in the 21st century. I almost never remove upper lid fat during blepharoplasty surgery, and in many cases I actually add fat at the brow-upper lid junction. " wow. Dr. Michael Law...go there.
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon