Unilateral Otoplasty - San Francisco, CA

After going through a lengthy reconstruction...

After going through a lengthy reconstruction process for breast cancer (separate review), I really struggled with the decision to opt for a surgical solution for a "minor" problem like uneven ears. Neither ear protruded greatly, but they just weren't quite a matched set. Apparently, it was not very noticeable to anyone but me, but it still bothered me. Dr. Kind offered the option of a very minor adjustment (pinning) of just the left ear to bring it into better visual alignment with the right. That subtle change was a great solution.

There is still some numbness around the ear, but the incision looks good and I know it takes a while for the body to fully heal. I'm very happy that I proceeded with the surgery.

Hi sideways -- Welcome to RealSelf! I appreciate you sharing your experience. What was the surgery recovery like? Did you have any trouble sleeping or hiding the scarline post-op?
The inicision is well-hidden in the crease behind the ear, plus I typically wear my hair down so the back of my ears are covered anyway. Stitches were removed one week after surgery. I was instructed to wear a headband over the ear for the first week to protect it while the incision healed and I chose to wear it at night for a few more weeks to keep it from accidentally being pulled forward while I slept. It was suggested not to wear pullover shirts to avoid tugging on the ear while changing clothes. My ear was sore to the touch for quite a few weeks, but it was tolerable. I think some of the discomfort stemmed from the headband. I did take some pain meds for a few days, then Tylenol as needed. Sleeping wasn't really an issue because I just had surgery on one ear so I could sleep with that side up.
Dr. Gabriel Kind

I am well-acquainted with Dr. Kind due to my breast cancer and reconstruction history so I already felt very comfortable with him as a surgeon and with asking lots of questions. On the flip side, he is also well-acquainted with me so he is always prepared for my long list of questions and answers them patiently. He and Dr. Chang have a great PA (Candice), but Dr. Kind deals very directly with his patients himself. As I wrote in my previous review, Dr. Kind's main goal for any surgery is the happiness of his patient.