July 20th Surgery Date! It's finally here!

Hi everyone! I am so glad to have stumbled upon...

Hi everyone! I am so glad to have stumbled upon this site. I look forward to interacting with you all and reading your stories. I would like to thank you for being open and honest. Baring your "before and after" breasts is like baring your soul. Thanks in advance for being a support system the way only another person with our experience can be. I appreciate you all already!

Alright, here we go! I am 38 years old. 5'3" and 130 lbs. The last bra I bought was a 36G. All I think of is G for gross. I have a beautiful 18 month old daughter and what I want more than anything is to run around the park with her and not have to worry about my huge breasts. I also want to gain back some self-esteem so I can show my baby girl how to be a self-assured, confident and strong woman.

I have been thinking about getting a breast reduction for over 20 years. I was a senior in high school when my breasts started to get really large. By the time I was out of college I was a DD. Then they just kept growing. And growing! And here we are today.

When I was younger, I thought surgery was such an impossibility and then by the time I was really suffering with back, shoulder and neck pain and migraines, I didn't have insurance. Well, I have insurance now! A few months ago I went in for a physical and told my doctor about my breast issues. She referred me to a plastic surgeon and he said there would be no problem with insurance covering the surgery. Really?! Wow!

The next available surgery appointment he had was a few months away. I put it in my calendar as a far off thought. Well, now I have entered the month of my surgery. Every time I open my datebook, there it is! Only 17 days away.

I am so ready to get rid of these boobs. They are big and sloppy and I don't feel like they are a reflection of my personality at all. They weigh me down in so many ways. In every way! I thought when I had my daughter I'd gain an appreciation for them through breast feeding her, but I had a ridiculously low milk supply and had to supplement with formula. What a waste!! Yet another reason on my very long list of reasons why it's time for them to go.

I have a few appointments leading up to the surgery, so I'll be posting as new things happen! Also, I'll be posting photos of myself. Excited to see the before and after of my own body!

So I had my pre-op appointment this morning with...

So I had my pre-op appointment this morning with my surgeon. I was so nervous just going in for this appointment. After waiting so long for a BR, all of this is so surreal.

My doctor is so nice. I feel very comfortable with him. He told me all about how the day would go... come in 2 hours before surgery, surgery is about 4 hours, in recovery for about another 2 hours, then head home. That's a hell of a day!!

He told me he'll be using drains on me and showed me how they work. I'm so glad he showed me because having never seen these drains, I was picturing those huge ribbed straws like you have in your water bottle. Instead it was the thickness of a spaghetti noodle. I've had giant staples in my torso. I can handle a spaghetti noodle! (I hope!) He also showed me another thing they use for pain. It's called a pain-pump. It's about the size of a small peach with very thin Y-shaped tubing coming off of it. Each side of the tubing is inserted into each breast through a teeny hole on the cleavage side of the breasts. It's full of a lidocaine type of pain med and it naturally gets pulled into your system (as in an I.V. drip system). It deflates as the medicine enters your body. He said it is a very effective way to manage pain. I've had a catheter for 4 days. I can handle a couple teeny tubes! (I hope!) Ahhhhh!!

He told me to bring with me the day of surgery a very cheap front closing sports bra that is very, very, very tight. I should be able to just get it around my ribs, but the cups should not even be close to closing. I'll have to keep this on, day and night, for 6 weeks. He mentioned that he has found the way that people heal best is if they don't lay around every day. He said to get up, go outside and walk around. Keep the range of motion of my arms extremely limited (no lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.), but move!

Now the exciting part. He said he can take my breasts down by half. He says most women want to be a C or D. I said I wanted to be a small C. He said he would do that. I'm so happy.

I got cleansing wipes and instructions from the nurse and I filled the scrips for my antibiotics and pain meds today too. One more blood test early next week and I'm all set until the big (small!) day! Awesome!!

Well, today I went and bought a front closure...

Well, today I went and bought a front closure sports bra for my surgery as my doctor requested. He said to get one that was really tight in the cup. I bought a 34B bra!!! I haven't been that size since middle school. I got teary-eyed in the store. This is all so incredible.

I'm so excited for Friday. I put a coundown timer widget on my phone so I can watch the day get closer and closer...

I'm getting really nervous and anxious. Last night...

I'm getting really nervous and anxious. Last night I broke down and cried for an hour. Before my daughter was born I didn't get the the "nesting" feeling. I have it now like crazy! But I just don't have the time to finish everything I need to. My husband says he'll do it all, but that's just making me feel un-needed. I'm a mess. Back and forth, up and down, I am all over the place. It seems like every possible emotion is surfacing now. It's exhausting and confusing. How long will it be before I can hold my litlle girl? Or give her a hug without being scared she's going to acidentally hit me in the chest? Will I finish everything up at work? What do I tell everyone at work why I'll be gone for 2 weeks? Is that enough time off? All I have are questions... and no answers. Ugh. I feel like a lunatic. Is this at all normal? With my surgery in 2 days (2 DAYS!) I hope I can get it together...

I'm off to the hospital! Can't wait to be on the...

I'm off to the hospital! Can't wait to be on the other side of this surgery.

So thankful for all of you amazing women...your stories, your photos, your lives... thanks for sharing yourselves.

I'm pretty beat, but I made it to the other side! ...

I'm pretty beat, but I made it to the other side! I will write my surgery experience really soon, but in the mean time, I have posted a couple of "after" shots with my tiny(!) bra and dressings. I can't believe how huge I was, and more importantly, how much smaller I am now. I am so happy!!!!!

I am also very excited to be checking the "Worth It" box...

Hope my fellow surgery ladies are all doing well.

Hi! My surgery was July 20, 2012. And I made it...

Hi! My surgery was July 20, 2012. And I made it to the other side! So exciting!

Like most ladies, I hardly slept the night before my surgery. How could you? It's like the night before Christmas, except you're gonna get cut open! I maybe got an hour and a half of sleep, but it didn't matter.

I had to be at the hospital at 6:15 to be admitted. They asked me the same questions they had before and sent me down to pre-op where I was weighed and asked to strip down and put on the hospital gown. This hospital gown was no ordinary fabric gown. It was a "warming gown". It had a vacuum hose that hooked up to it and blew warm air into it. Genius! For the next hour, I had a parade of staff come through... my very nice nurse, Mina (she was a peach!), the surgery tech (she just wanted me to know that she's be in the OR helping, so nice!), and my anesthesiologist (so sweet and she explained everything perfectly to me).

After the nurse gave me my IV (not too painful, and she put it in my forearm, not my hand, which I think is way more comfortable), my husband was brought in to hang out with me until I went for surgery. It was nice having him there, but that's when I started to get really nervous. My PS came in, talked to me a while about how things were going to go and then spent about 15 minutes marking me up. I reminded him that I wanted to be a small C. He said he knew and would make it happen. He was fantastic. He made me feel so comfortable (well, as comfortable as one can feel 10 minutes before they're going to get cut up by him). I really have a great doctor! The anesthesiologist came back in and gave me something to relax me. It worked.

I kissed my hubby goodbye and was wheeled into the OR. I moved over to the operating table and the last thing I remember is seeing my PS's face. The next thing I remember is saying that my throat hurt, and then, bam! SO MUCH PAIN! I was immediately given some pain meds (fentanyl, from what I remember) in my IV and I felt better instantly. Then I would try to sleep, but since the fentanyl can make you breathe shallow, my oxygen level would get too low and the alarm on the monitor would go off. The crazy beeping from this was sooooo annoying! I'd have to wait for the nurse to come over and remind me take deep breaths to get my levels back up. I couldn't get any good rest. This cycle seemed to go on for.ev.er. Hours! I finally told the nurse that I wanted to stop the hard core IV pain meds and try something a little less powerful so I could not be so out of it. Best decision ever! She gave me some Vicoden pills and I started to feel more like myself. The pain was certainly manageable with just the Vicoden and I didn't feel like a zombie anymore. Fantastic! I told the nurse I wanted to go home, she said ok, I stood up and immediately felt like I was going to pass out. Oh well! Guess I gotta hang out a little bit longer! This was great because I got to see my doctor again and he told me about my surgery (without me being wasted on anesthesia). Turns out he took 600+ from the left and 700+ from the right (I don't remember exactly). He said it was 4 POUNDS of tissue!! It is so insane that I was carrying around that much weight in my boobs. I'm only 5'2"! So wrong. He told me that he was the only man in the OR and that all the women in there were amazed and very enthusiastic about my results. I'm so glad I got to hear that from him. Hurray!!

About an hour later, I tried again and was able to get dressed. I was put in a wheel chair and brought out to the car. I went home and went to bed. All in all, I was in surgery for about 4 hours and then in recovery for about 6 hours.

I have 2 drains and a pain pump. I've been taking my meds every 4 hours and will continue to do so through my post-op appointment tomorrow afternoon. Depending on how that goes, I may decrease the pain meds. I believe that your body heals better if it's not in any pain, so I'm all for pain management while needed. And I don't think a person should wait until they are completely in pain before taking medicine. I think you should take it in regular doses, even through the night! I set my alarm to take my dosages. This is what works best for me.

Well, as you can see from my before and after photos, there is a HUGE change!! Check it out! It's really quite amazing. I am so pleased with how I look. I seriously look like I've lost 15 pounds!! I'm in no hurry to see what's under these bandages. I'm a little freaked out by it. But like almost all of you have experienced, I think it's so worth the discomfort I'm feeling right now.

THIS IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF. Period.

I'd like to thank you all for your support and encouragement. This site has been the most amazing resource for me through this journey and I know it will continue to be. You ladies all ROCK!!!!!

Post-Op, Day 3: I had my first post-op...

Post-Op, Day 3:

I had my first post-op appointment yesterday. I have a pain-pump that I had to have removed (it was empty). I haven’t heard of anyone else having one of these pain-pumps, but I am definitely more sore today without it than I was yesterday with it, so I do believe it works well!

On a side note, I have no interest in looking at my Frankenboobs yet. I was very happy when my PS said I just leave everything under my tight (34B!) sports bra alone. Don’t wanna know. Ignorance is bliss!

I took 2 pain pills about 30 minutes before my appointment. I brought my mom with me in case they showed my boobs. I wanted a witness, but I didn’t want to see them myself. The (kind of rough) nurses took off my dressings and the tape around my nipples and other incisions. I averted my eyes. I did not want to see anything bloody, stitched, sliced or bruised. It didn’t really hurt, it just felt like taking off a super sticky band-aid. They sprayed this liquid on as they took the tape off which seemed to help a bit. I looked over at my mom and she looked at my boobs and then smiled at me. Oh what the hell! I’M LOOKING!!

All I can say is, “WOW!” Are those mine? Those can’t be mine! Those perfectly, perky, round and small boobies are mine to keep?! WHAT?!!! I couldn’t see the nipples or any stitching at all. I saw the tiniest amount of yellowish bruising around the top of my left nipple. There were little mounds with perfect cleavage. I know with time, healing and gravity they will change shape, but I’m super happy they are mine. I don’t want to/need to look at them for a long time. It was shocking and weird. Definitely satisfied any curiosity I had.

So they had to remove this pain pump from the cleavage side of my boobs. Without a “count to 3” or “we’re starting now” or even a “take a deep breath”, the nurse started pulling this tube out. HOLY SH*T!!! It hurt so f*cking bad! It burned deep in my chest and I could feel it coming out. It was a little overwhelming. Afterwards, I was more sore than usual (and a bit nauseous, too! Hurray!).

This adventure makes me scared to get my drain tubes out (this Thursday or Friday). I’ve found that my meds are at their peak effectiveness about an hour after I take them, so I’m going to take them a little earlier before my drain removal appointment. Wish me little pain…

I just wanted to add how encouraging you all have been and how thankful I am for this. I also want to say that each of us has our own story. It is amazing to have other people so close to you in your journey, but it’s important to blaze your own trail. If someone is off their meds in 2 days, great for them! If someone else is going to the mall and wearing pull-over tops 4 days post-op, hurray for them! Another woman may be doing housework 5 days out. Super! You are still amazing if you are nowhere near this in your healing. Comparison is the thief of joy. There are no awards for being off meds or doing a load of laundry. Honestly, I am still on pain meds and I’m going to continue to take them at least through my 2nd post-op appointment. I feel like my body heals best when not in any pain. In my normal, everyday life, I never get to rest! I am not planning on cooking dinner, or washing any dishes, or doing laundry for a long time! I want my body to be rested and healed so that I can start my new small boobed life a fully refreshed and rejuvenated person.

We are all amazing for going on this journey, always do what is best for you. Cheer each other on and celebrate each and every one of your own small victories, whenever they may happen. I wish you all the best!! xo

My experience has been woderful with my PS, the nurses, the office staff, the pharmacy, admitting, everything. All excellent!

Holy cow, you look great! You must feel a huge relief!!
I truly feel a huge relief! It's amazing!! So happy I did this for myself...
Congrats on your surgery! You look amazing!
Thank you so much! I feel so much better!!
Hello MIchelle,
Glad to see that everything went well for you. I am scheduled for and Aug. 15 reduction. My doctor is sending my home with both the drains and the pain management pump. What were your feeling on the pump?? Did you have t to take pain meds aswell?? My doctor suggested I get it but it is totally up to me. Not sure what I should do.!!
You must be so excited for your surgery! August 15th is coming up quick!

I'm sure the pain pump helped with the pain, but I still took pain meds. I dont think it's a substitute for pain meds. I believe in taking your pain medication regularly for the first few days after surgery regardless. I haven't seen anyone else getting the pain pump, but my doctor feels it's a great asset.

Hope all goes perfectly for you!
Thanks for your wise and reassuring posts! I'm glad your recovery is going well!
What a great post! I am 6 weeks, 2 days....but who is counting? I strip off my top and bra several times a day to check to see that these new breasts are really still mine! The shape does change, and honestly, I don't want them to drop any more. They were so perky right after surgery, but a little less natural, I know. They have settled a bit now, and look more like real ones. Praying that gravity holds off for years to come! Keep us updated on your journey! So happy for you.
You're awesome!! Loved your update! It is so true that everyone has their own journey. So many of us can relate. I hope your new boobs bring you many years of joy!! Congrats on your first peek and looking forward to your updates. (((hugs))) :)

Michele, I totally second what you so beautifully and eloquently said! you are so right, this is an individual journey, and no one can anticipate how someone else is going to react. Each person must go at their own pace and do only what their body allows them to do. I thank you for you wisdom!

And congratulations on taking that peek today and being so thrilled with what you saw!
Amen!! Love your last thoughts!! This is an amazing journey and i estatic that you are happy and doing great!! I love how we are all strangers but because of one I common thing( our overly large bust) brings us together to support each other in what ever stage we are at!! Get lots of rest and take care of your precious new small boobies!!
Michle, congrats on making it to the other side! I have to say, you look just great, and I can only imagine how very pleased you are! Now you take care of YOU, get plnty of rest, drink lots of water to flush out your system, and try to eat lots of protein, leafy greens, etc.

You must be over the moon!
You look beautiful - so well proportioned to your body now. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing your great story! You really do look amazing and so little. I think you have the right idea about not being in pain. Rest and heal. Will be anxious to hear how your post-op appointment goes!
Welcome to the other side! You look great..and VERY proportionate. Who would have known you were so tiny underneath those big ol boobs! :D I am 8 weeks post op...I am still in shock on how much my life has changed for the better! Best decision ever!
Happy Healing!
xoxoWestCoast
Thank you! I'm so looking forward to all the little positive changes that are going to happen. Congratulations to you and your new life! Are you feeling pretty much back to normal 8 weeks post-op?
Thank you so much deka. I hope the wait for your surgery goes really quickly. All the wait will be worth it! Cheers!
What an amazing difference! You look great!
Thanks so much! I appreciate you saying so! So glad I did this!
Michele, you look fantastic!! Congrats on the new you, and for making it to the other side. Just gets better from here on!
I'm sure it does get better from here! I'm so excited for my "new life"! Glad you're doing well, too!
I wrote out my surgery story, but my laptop isn't cooperating, so I'll have to post it later. I appreciate all the well wishes and I extend them all to you post-op people. And to all the pre-op women out there, I wish you a smooth journey to your new boobs! You won't regret it! It's only been 2 days and I'm ecstatic about the changes!! Cheers!

OH MY GOSH! Look at that tiny waist you have! What an impressive difference! Can't wait to hear all of the details. Congratulations :-D
Hi Iowa! It is a big difference, isn't it? Who knew that waist was under there? I had no idea what an immediate difference the surgery would make! It's pretty incredible. I know we all won't know the exact size for months, but I'm so please with the instant changes!