Bilateral Implant Breast Reconstruction - San Francisco, CA

After my breast cancer diagnosis, I consulted with...

After my breast cancer diagnosis, I consulted with two plastic surgeons regarding reconstruction. The first does not perform microsurgery so could not offer me as many options as the second plastic surgeon I saw – Dr. Gabriel Kind, who offers the full array of microsurgery procedures as well as implant reconstruction. After a lengthy exam and discussion he presented my best options, and I ultimately chose implant reconstruction.

I had “two-step” reconstruction, which involved placing tissue expanders under the pectoral muscles immediately following the mastectomy surgery (the breast surgeon and plastic surgeon worked in tandem). After slowly stretching the muscles and skin over a period of months, another surgery was performed to replace the expanders with implants. My reconstruction involved additional procedures, surgeries, and healing time due to some complications stemming from the mastectomy surgery itself.

I was able to have nipple-sparing surgery and all my incisions have been in the inframammary fold below the breasts so it’s difficult to tell that I’ve had surgery at all. I credit my fine surgeons, Dr. Nima Grissom (mastectomy surgeon) and Dr. Gabriel Kind (reconstructive plastic surgeon), for my wonderful results.

It's nice to hear you feel confident about your look after breast reconstruction surgery. Congratulations on being cancer free and getting through the multiple surgeries. Thank you for sharing your story with us on RealSelf!
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Kind and his team deserve major credit for how well I have done since my breast cancer diagnosis. His surgical expertise, empathy, and willingness to tirelessly address my concerns gave me confidence that I was making the right treatment choices. I never felt less than “whole” throughout the process, which is an amazing gift after undergoing a bilateral mastectomy. I was so pleased with the results of my breast reconstruction that I opted for some cosmetic surgery as well (separate reviews posted). Dr. Kind uses a light touch to achieve a natural appearance, and his ultimate goal for every surgery, whether breast reconstruction or a cosmetic procedure, is the happiness of his patient. He and Dr. Chang have a great PA (Candice), but Dr. Kind deals very directly with his patients himself. I will always be grateful to Dr. Kind, Candice, Marie, Dr. Chang, and the entire staff for their professional and respectful care and for making a difficult time in my life so much easier.