Bad Experience with Smart Lipo - San Francisco, CA

I got an email from a skin spa that I went to for...

I got an email from a skin spa that I went to for hair laser removal. The email was promoting the procedure smart lipo. And in the ad, it said that it was a safe, effective and a much quicker recovery than traditional liposuction AND it was done under local anesthesia. I had a very minor dent that I go from a previous surgery that was only noticeable to to my eye. When I called the spa, they said that smart lipo was often used for correcting problems from previous liposuction. I went in, met with the doctor and told him that I wanted the dent on my lower abdomen smoothed out and some fat taken out of my flanks. He said he could do it and could smooth everything out. I regretfully went through the procedure. I went to my follow-ups and they kept telling me that everything looked normal. I was shocked because my entire lower half of my abdomen looked lumpy and like someone took an ice cream scooper to my stomach. But they said they see this all the time and with more time things will improve and look normal.

After 4 months they said that my healing time was just taking longer and pushed it to 6 months, then 8 months, and finally I went to consult with other doctors. I felt so stupid for not having done my research on the doctor and not making sure that he was a board certified plastic surgeon. THIS IS HUGE! The doctor is an emergency care doctor at a hospital, he doesn't even perform surgery. All the Board Certified plastic surgeons were frustrated when I told them my story and were bothered by the fact under qualified people were performing Smart Lipo. It has almost been a year since doing Smart Lipo. 2 months ago I went to a revision specialist that had to transfer fat to all the areas that were treated during Smart Lipo. The skin spa did reimburse me money which helped pay for the revision. My advice to anyone is just to do your research on these doctors. Being a Board Certified plastic surgeon is HUGE. Read all the reviews on the doctors and check there work out.

I am extremely sorry you had to go through this. There are many non-core physicians performing these types of procedures and few in the public understand the difference between someone board-certified in a specialty that performs these procedures routinely. In my early training I saw many complications from laser liposuction, and now solely perform power-assisted or manual liposculpture which gives me excellent results. I have had to revise many complications similar to yours and I always feel horrible when I see them. I really hope your second procedure went well. This post should help inform others who are considering this procedure to get multiple opinions and do research on their physicians. Wishing you the best.
Wow..How did you get them to refund you the $?

I am very unsatisfied with the results. I chose this provider because I went to this spa for years for hair laser removal.