Invisalign Fixed Upper Teeth but It's Not Good if You Have an Open Bite - San Diego, CA

Invisalign fixed my upper teeth (all I wanted in...

Invisalign fixed my upper teeth (all I wanted in the first place) but I feel I have NO hope for my terrible posterior open bite. I would recommend invisalign for anyone that doesn't have an open bite (the vast majority of people). But if you're like me, good luck finding any help besides getting your jaw broken.

I need help concerning how to close my posterior open bite. Now, first of all, I've spent hours online trying to find a solution and can't find any. I DON'T have TMJ. I just have a horrible POSTERIOR open bite--only my front 4 teeth touch and my left rear molar almost touches. I basically can't chew my food, I can only mash it. Look at the pics! My upper teeth are normal. My front lower teeth are fine but as my teeth go toward the molars, they dip down, then back up at the molars. Also, my lower teeth span a much wider distance than my upper. A dentist actually laughed at me because he said that I have two different sets of teeth--as if they are literally from 2 different people. I had invisalign done to straighten my upper teeth, knowing that it wouldn't help my lower teeth. My front upper teeth were crammed, so I fixed that. I only wanted invis for the uppers, but they would only allow me to get the set for both. I've been told that I can have surgery done, to break my jaw, and that should help. Is there any other solution? I don't trust anyone breaking my lower jaw. I'm also a boxer and jiu jitsu fighter and I don't think my jaw will ever be the same after surgery. Please help me with another solution. What about metal braces with bands just in the back? Or adding some kind of permanent layer on top of my bottom molars to close the gap? I never really noticed how horrible this open bite was until dentists started laughing at me. Now I realize I've been mashing (not chewing) my food and swallowing it nearly whole for 26 years! Imagine trying to chew a steak with my teeth. Forget about it.

I have a very similar problem. I never had a problem with an openbite UNTIL I got invisalign braces. And my dentist never told me that I had an openbite. I was aware that my lower jaw was not aligned properly in my mouth however they did not warn me that invisalign would CAUSE an openbite. So now although my teeth are straight due to invisalign...I have a big openbite and noticed my chin and face look longer as a result. My face is already thin and long and now it looks longer! I was expecting invisalign to make me happier with my smile but now it just gave me an openbite. I still have my wisdom teeth and so now they are the only teeth touching. I have to ask my dentist is removing my wisdom teeth or putting elastics will solve this problem. I am very upset.

Have you talked to dr. Eshom? He seems to be good

Hey there, just wondering what doctor you went with in La Mesa?

Thank you!

I only got invisalign to fix my top teeth and it worked. I was never given any solution about my bottom teeth, the cause of my open bite. The original dentist I had also left, and the new one said she screwed a lot of people over.