Recovery Suggestions - San Diego, CA

I am scheduled for my tummy tuck on the 20th of...

I am scheduled for my tummy tuck on the 20th of December! I am excited but apprehensive about the recovery period. Mostly concerned about nausea and pain control.
I am confident that I have selected the best of the best in my opinion with Dr. Pousti, so I know I am in good hands!

Any suggestions or recovery hints would be welcomed!

Dr. Pousti's pre op bedside manner

Well I am 5 days out from my tummy tuck surgery and I am keeping my sanity by my continued faith in and impressions of Dr. Pousti. He has called me twice in the past week to see how I am doing and to assure me that he is going to take good care of me. Knowing that I am concerned about nausea post surgery he is going to use an advance form of nausea control called emend. When I start to get the normal set of nerves I remind myself that I will be in the best hands possible.

Nervous Nilly

Okay well I am now only a day and a half away from my tummy tuck. Any advise for calming the nerves and anxiety? I am well prepared and confident that I will do fine but still can't help but feel pretty anxious. Is this normal? Any advise or last minute preparation tips?

Recovering nicely thanks to Dr. Pousti

I am so please with my recovery so far. Today is day 4 and I feel that I am getting better every day. The pain is manageable but I still am the most uncomfortable about one hour before it is time to take the pain medication. I am absolutely following my Doctors orders . The first night I had a nurse, she was extremely helpful and helped to acclimate my husband to the routine. By day two I had my husband, daughter and son-in -law helping. I am now able to get in and out of bed every so slowly by myself! I also am not nearly in as much pain as I had imagined that I would be. I have been told that The Doctor removed about 10lbs! I have got to tell you that Dr. Pousti is not only a very skilled artist, but he is as genuine as they come! When I first met with him I had been to three other PS. I had a plan other procedures besides the tummy tuck at the same time. He refused! He explained to me that he just did not feel that it would be safe! And that my safety came first! This sealed the deal with me, I was convinced that he had a sincere heart for his patients and although of course he is running a practice which needs to be making money, his first priority is not the money but the well being of his patients! I am a 53 year old Grandma that was scared to death about getting this done. Four children and seven operations over my lifetime had left my stomach pretty much a wreck! In addition I had lost 72 lbs over the last three years. The peace of mind that I feel is unsurpassed by any other medical experience. Dr. Pousti has called me every day since my surgery and I understand that he plans on paying me a home visit before I am scheduled for my first follow up visit at his office. Who does that really? Well I guess Dr. Pousti does! Although I have not taken of my binder or any bandages per the Doctors instructions yet, I have seen my post op pictures that Dr. Pousti sent over to me. I do not even recognize myself! I am blessed with a life that is surrounded by the love of my husband, four children that I birthed, a wonderful step-son and a beautiful granddaughter. I keep an active lifestyle with working out, being the owner of a small technology company and going to college full time working on my retirement career as a social worker. I have manged to get myself in the best shape of my adult life and now Dr.Pousti has taken away the one negative cloud that had been following me for years! Words simply cannot express my gratitude! Thank you again Dr. Pousti!
Dr. Tom Pousti

The decision to have my extended tummy tuck was something that I had contemplated for 37 years. As a 53 year old mother of 5 and grandmother of one and wife to the finest man in the world, I have much to be grateful for. But my ugly stomach really haunted me. Finally, in 2013 after losing 70lbs I decided that this was the year. Then came the hard part, choosing a Plastic Surgeon. I originally wanted to have an extended tummy tuck, breast lift, upper eye blepharoplasty and the "buffalo hump" removed from my back. I met with and was examined by four surgeons in the San Diego area. 2 of the surgeons were more than happy to oblige my request of having all of these procedures done at the same time. The third PS wanted to break these out into 2 procedures that would be approximately 5 hours each. I spent months researching online the credentials, patient history’s and looking at the outcomes and reviews of various Plastic Surgeons. Hands down my research convinced me that Dr. Tom Pousti was the best of the best. This was prior to ever visiting his office. I decided to make an appointment with his office fearing that I might not be able to afford him but felt that I owed it to myself and family to put myself in the best hands possible if I was going to do this. I was immediately met by staff that seemed pleasant and caring upon entering his office. After sitting down with Dr. Pousti and sharing my procedure desires I was astonished to hear him turn me down! He was extremely professional and caring in his delivery of the news but told me that frankly he would not perform all of these procedures at the same time as he simply did not feel that it would be safe and my safety and well-being to him was the first consideration. I was convinced from that moment that he was not primarily concerned with how much money could be made but rather how to get me healthfully through a procedure. We together decided on my priories which was the extended tummy tuck and the buffalo hump removal. I scheduled the procedure but was just about shaking from nerves as I was leaving his office. Dr. Pousti discretely called me back into his office and said he could tell by the look on my face that I was very nervous and he assured me that he would take the utmost care of me and he has certainly held true to his word. Through this entire process he and his staff have been extremely communicative. Letting me know every step of the way what to expect. He does not tell you what you want to hear but rather what the potential realities are. One example that comes to mind is when I asked how soon I could take a shower. He is quite frank and lets you know that it could be a month! Then further explains why it is in the interest of your safety to follow those instructions! His office called me every single day to follow up on me post-surgery. Dr. Pousti even called me on Christmas Day to see how I was doing 5 days post-surgery! I can whole heartedly tell you that this man is not only an expert craftsman, an honorable family man that is as ethical and sincere as they come! I cannot come up with enough words to endorse Dr. Pousti. I am only 12 days post op and have had zero complications and have followed his instructions to the tee! I love my results!

You are beautiful!! It was so awesome to meet you in person today - That was such a wonderful surprise :)
Julie you are so sweet! It was so great to meet you! That was pretty crazy that we both had follow ups at the same time! Your tummy looks outstanding! What a great job Dr. Pousti did and good for you that you are wisely following his instructions! I am sure we will be in touch:)
My thoughts have been with you throughout the day. I even looked at the clock at one point and thought, "she is probably in recovery right now!) Hang in there hun! The next few days will be bumpy. Take it easy - you'll do great! Thinking of you!
It's Super normal. Busy yourself to stay distracted :) If you haven't finished "everything" you wanted to do before today (and none of us did, right ladies? cuz the list never ends - haha) then now isn't the time to worry about it ;) If you are up to it, go out to dinner with your honey. Have a nice meal and then come home and enjoy the evening ;)
You are so close now. To combat the nerves I stayed busy then the night before my hubby and I had a date. Good luck.
Hi! How are you feeling? Nervous I bet! I know I was :) I responded to your message that you sent me on Dec 4th. If you're like me, I didn't realize it, but we have to check our Inbox on Real Self to retrieve it (it doesn't come in an email). Dr. Pousti is the Best!! This Wed, I will be 4 weeks post-op. Best decision I ever made! I'm happy to give you all the pre-op tips I can - just let me know! Take care - you're in excellent hands!
Seems like you have chosen the perfect doctor for you! Congrats on doing this for yourself! I'm two weeks post op and feeling pretty good :)
Hi, I'm 6 weeks PO, best advice, try to rest and don't start any chores around the house. If you rest your recovery will be faster. Take your pain meds on time. You'll be fine, your PS has a fantastic reputation. All the best!
Great advice! and so True!
Some suggestions : stool softener 2 days prior to surgery and as long as you are on pain meds. Muscles will be VERY sore and it is hard to ''bear down''. Take a pillow with you to the bathroom and actually just keep an extra one with you incase of coughor,God forbid, a sneeze! I slept in my recliner for the first week. Make sure everything you need is well within reach. I also had something to sit on in the shower the first few days. Your back will be sore from walking bent over. I am 3 weeks out and things are going well. Still sore, but my jeans look great!! It will be worth it, I promise!!
Good luck with you TT. Follow directions , stay on top of pain meds, rest . Any question just ask..
Sorry about the duplication of my message. Talk with you soon.
You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery, often under estimated by patients and their surgeons. I have found that a positive state of mind ( “glass half full”) is very helpful when it comes to a smoother recovery period. I will call you to discuss some of your specific concerns soon. A few general words of advice may be helpful:
 1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
 2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
 3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
 4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary. 5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.
 6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
 7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
 8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
 9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.
 10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
 11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. I hope this helps. .A few words of advice may be helpful:
This is why I know I am in such good hands and that you are the best of the best Dr. Pousti! Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to respond to my post. I plan on following your advise and I am sure I will do fine :)
You will do Better than Fine! You will be Great! Dr. Pousti is the best because he is Amazing at what he does. He has already prepared you for what is to come and he will help you along the way with what you don't already know. More than that, you are Amazing. We talked, and I know you have planned and planned, contemplated and considered. No more thinking! Everything is going to be just fine. You will be just fine
I was so scared about the post sickness & pain. I gotta be honest, I did not vomit once nor did I ever feel nauseated and that is rare for me when it comes to pain killers, meds, anitbiotics- the pain was SO minimal. I think you'll do fine deary- Im 21 Post and I feel amazing......Rest, Water and DEF get up & walk as best U can- it'll help on those pesky leg cramps and restlessness. Keep us updates Hun!!!
Straws & pillows are a must !!! Good luck with everything it's totally worth it I and 2weeks post op today and am thrilled with my results !!!!