My Breast Reduction - San Diego, CA

Ive always had large breast and have endured the...

Ive always had large breast and have endured the physical and emotional trial that comes with them. I often felt they got in the way of activities, limiting my mobility, limiting my ability to wear certain things. Not to mention they drew a lot of unwanted attention from others. My large breast also caused me to have headaches, indentations on my shoulders, heat rashes, neck pain and mid back pain. After breastfeeding my son, my breast became even bigger.

The size increased from a 34E to a 34F. I was told by other friends who breastfed, that I would shrink after breastfeeding but I never did. After much consideration and a long talk with my husband who LOVES my large breast, we both agreed it was time to look at some options for my emotional and physical well being. My search for a plastic surgeon begin. I thought about a breast reduction for about a two years. I spoke with other people who had it done. I had not heard any regret from the people I spoke with exception that they had wished they had done it sooner.

I begin to look online at images first and begin to compile a file of images of transformations that I thought looked great. I kept coming across some of the same surgeons. So I narrowed it down to three surgeons an based that decision on certification, experience and artistic signature. An "artistic signature" of a surgeoin to me is, what you start with and what you end up with. There are so many unique body types that I saw truly drastic, positive changes to. My personal goal is to have smaller breast but retain some of the unique character I was born with. My biggest fear is hypertrophic scarring and discoloration. Ive weighed the fear scarring and the desire to overcome some of the personal limitations I contribute to large breast and decided that the best decion for me is surgery. With the support of my family, friends and then finding an excellent surgeon, it feels as though Ive made the best decison.

San Diego Plastic Surgeon

When I narrowed down to three surgeons, I set up three consultations. Two surgeons were in CA and one in AZ where I live. I ended up choosing Dr Pousti because after my very first interaction with him. He was very easy to talk to, he listened to my goals and how I wanted to reach them. He also gave me questions to think about that I had not thought of. From the beginning he seemed to be an objective advocate to my goals and was very understanding about my personal concerns of scarring. I also appreciated that he had on his website a tab for reference for "African American" patients. It was very difficult in my search to find many images posted of African American outcomes. It was nice to see that he included this information on his website. He also had availiable patients who were willing to share thier personal breast reduction experience with me. I found this to be very helpful because I was able to ask specific questions about thier experience and if they would have done anything differently. Last, but not least, Dr. Pousti has the very best team of professional people working with him. His staff is warm, caring and you can tell that they love what they do and they enjoy working for Dr Pousti. Thats important to me because that speaks to the character of the Dr.,...in my opinion.

congratulations,im so very happy for you and your comfortable and healing nicely,! cant wait to see your updated pics,,happy healing!
Thank you! Im very excited for you! You wont regret your decision. I already feel relief in my back and love the proportionate difference in my body!
POST OP DAY 6 - Today I saw Dr. Pousti for my 2nd post op visit. I am progressing well thus far. My drains were removed and my dressings changed. I was given some firm reminders about taking good care of myself, no lifting, elbows at my side and no vigorous activity for the next four weeks (no housework or lifting). Since I am an R.N., my surgeon jokes with me that he thinks that I will look at his "post op instructions" as "suggestions", but I am going to follow his orders to THE T! I LOVE my new breasts! I dont want to pop any sutures, or delay my healing. I got my first, brief, look at them today without bandages or tubes and they feel lighter and look quite perky. They are still quite swollen, so it kind of looks like I have implants (which I dont). I was assured that the swelling will decrease with time and the shape of my breast will continue to evolve. In the meantime, I feel so grateful being in the capable hands of my husband who has been SO empathetic and supportive. Then my Dr. who has called me himself EVERYDAY since post op day 1 or has had his wonderful assistant Daisy call just to check in on me and make sure I was feeling okay and that has made such a HUGE difference for my recovery experience. I am feeling great!

Wow! What an impressive comparison picture that is. Thanks for sharing it!
Thanks you! I will contnue to post pics as I progress.
I will post my pictures as soon as the drains come out.
I had my reduction done 9/19. I past out at home and had to have emergency surgery to remove a hematosa. I took my first shower yesterday and saw them for the first time. They look great. I am 119 pounds and my old size was a 32DD. My tubes come out Tuesday and I cant wait to go shopping for new bras!
Oh my Goodness nydiva4u!!! That sounds so scary. Im sorry that happened to you. You seem to be taking this all in stride, moving forward with a positive attitude. I had my reduction just one day before yours. I still have bandages and drains and have only been able to take "sponge baths"!! At this point, I just want a shower :) YES!!!! Shopping will be SO fabulous!
Wow you look great. Best postop pics I've ever seen..congratulations for getting through ..
Thank you natalierw! I appreciate the support. Today I will get a quick peek of them when my dressings are changed!
Can't wait for your update!!!! I'm still amazed. I have 29 days..yikes
I now have intraop pics, now I just have to figure out how to add them! Monday, hopefully, I will get the drains taken out. I haven't had much pain just mild discomfort from having the dressings and the compression bra. It's, true, you must be ALL girl power to persevere through this. The most difficult part for me in this recovery is not being able to play and pick up my son. I'm not sure he understands and we're both going through cuddle withdrawal! He was a huge fan of nestling his head on my chest...I didn't think of how he might miss them.

I'm glad your recovery is going well. I was a 34H and had just under 500gm removed from each side. I was very fortunate in my recovery and am so thankful I finally found the courage and determination to do this. This procedure certainly isn't for the faint of heart. It takes some grit to do this, but it is totally worth it in the end! Will be anxious to hear about your progression.
Iowa71, its good to hear you've endured through this. I know what you mean about finding the courage and determination to commit to the change of the body youve lived with, the recovery of a major surgery and the anticipation of the final outcome. I plan to update often on this site. Im happy to hear it was worth it for you in the end!!!

Welcome, Mooglit! Sounds like you've given this a lot of thought and research, so you can be assured that you've made the right decision for yourself. I'm so glad you joined us and hope that you will keep us posted as you continue through your journey.
I used Realself often during my research and found the experiences posted here helped me come to hard decisions. I'm currently three days post op and I'm feeling my body take over recovery which is great! I haven't seen my new breast yet but as soon as I get to see them I can share the results! I hope this will encourage anyone who's on the fence about going through with a breast reduction to do something GREAT for yourself!
I should also add that the breast reduction was covered by my insurance and the price listed was not out of pocket.