Worth It, but a Few Issues - San Diego, CA

Just went back for my third treatment. I thought...

Just went back for my third treatment. I thought after the second one, I would be done but I continued to sweat through shirts even in air conditioned rooms. I think this is a result of two things - my sweating issue was extreme (when I went in for botox and they did the iodine test, I was just totally blue and they didn't bother with it the next time I came back since they could just stick the needle in basically anywhere and hit a sweat gland) and the first time they did the procedure, they set it at a level 1 and the second time upped it to a level 2 in the hopes that I wouldn't need to come back. Don't know what level they used for the third treatment, but I think even if it was just level 1, it'd be enough for me to deal with whatever sweating might remain.

They gave me 110 numbing shots total, 55 in each arm. By far the most painful part of getting this done, including recovery. But she went down my underarm and then came back, so that the second round of shots in an underarm weren't really felt since the previous ones had numbed the area.

The actual procedure was fine. I could only feel the heat a few times, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle, but I've always had a really high pain tolerance. The nurse administering the treatments said I could just let her know if I felt anything, and she could stop that application but it was never worth it for me to do so.

Swelling lasted 2+ weeks, but was only an issue for the first week in terms of pain and obstructing movement. They prescribed a pretty strong pain killer for me, but I only took it for about 5 days at night to help me get to sleep. Otherwise, the pain was enough to make me want to lay in bed all day and be lazy, but if I had needed to I could have done any of my normal activities in this period.

I've developed some compensatory sweating as a result. For example, I'm sweating just below my fingernails now - big beads of sweat that I can't tell if anyone else notices but that I'm very conscious of. I also have started sweating on my lower back, groin, and legs. I had a four hour class once in an air conditioned room and when I stood up at the end, there were sweaty outlines of my legs even though I was wearing jeans. I never noticed any unusual sweating in any of these areas prior to treatment. However, the underarm sweating has always been my biggest issue, and even now the reduction in sweating there is well worth having to deal with it increasing in these other areas. My doctor said when I had my initial consultation that there's only been one reported case of this, so I'm guessing it's not normally an issue. (And probably if you're willing to pay for this, you'd be willing to sacrifice a little to get there but it's something to consider.)

Also, my insurance covered a portion of the cost which was a pleasant surprise.
N/A

The star ratings for the doctor are actually for the nurse who gave me the treatment, since I basically didn't see the doctor at all.

It does seem rare that people need 3 treatments, but if you haven't already, you might want to check out James3650's review. He had 3 treatments too. Third Time's a Charm... - Boca Raton, FL

Thank you so much for letting us know your insurance covered part of your treatment - that is great info. Did they pay a portion of all 3 treatments?