Compensatory Sweating - San Diego, CA

Overall it was a pain free experience. The...

Overall it was a pain free experience. The swelling was uncomfortable (felt like I had softballs under my arms for a week or so) and I iced religiously for a week. No sweating while swollen but it has gradually increased as time has gone on. My treatment was on 4/19/2012 in San Diego and the doctors office was great.

The problem I am having is I now sweat from my head and back like crazy. Especially from my head. Within a minute of being out in the heat I have sweat running down the sides of my face and down the back of my neck. Better than the underams? Probably not. BUT with the sweating cut in half from the Miradry, the odor is mostly gone which makes the treatment worth it for me. If you don't have odor and you get this compensatory sweating, then in my opinion, probably not.

I am having my second treatment next week.

The miraDry System only works locally on the sweat glands in your axilla, which are only about 2% of all your sweat glands over the entire body. There have been very few reports of compensatory sweating and they typically were in patients that already were sweating in those areas. In almost all cases the extra sweating has resolved or reduced over time.
   You should discuss this with your treating physician and see if there are any other factors involved. With three years of experience using miraDry, I have not seen much compensatory sweating after these sweat reduction treatments. This is similar to the response to other hyperhidrosis treatments such as Botox or liposuction.

William Coleman MD
New Orleans
It's also been my experience that medical professionals try to play down compensatory sweating. Don't take that as a personal attack but I am very cautious. The mere fact that you've seen a few is enough for me to be very weary. Does miraDry require doctors to follow up with patients at least a year out from the procedure? After having ETS surgery my compensatory sweating didn't kick in right away. I know miraDry and ETS are very different, but with that said I am very cautious trying any kind of procedure that eliminates any part of my sweat system. Any thoughts or unbiased studies that show miraDry does not have detrimental effects you can direct me to is much appreciated. I hope that miraDry can add some relief to my life.

Thank you so much for sharing with us that you are experiencing compensatory sweating. What a bummer. It would have been so great if the sweating would have just gone away... :-/

I hope the 2nd treatment goes smooth for you. Please let us know how you are doing.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon