My Journey Through a Double DIEP - San Diego, CA

My surgeon has been great and continues to see me...

My surgeon has been great and continues to see me weekly but I can say I'm not sure I was prepared for what I experienced, the pain, length of time healing, and complications. I unfortunately reacted to the dermabond glue so that had to be taken off prior to leaving hospital. 3 months post op I still have a hole in my abdomen but I have to say my chest looks better than I ever expected. I have had more pain from the abdomen than I ever expected. I figured since I was not dealing with muscle like a TRAM it wouldnt hurt nearly as much but it was still very painful. I still have another surgery ahead of me and really reluctant right now since 3 1/2 months after the first I'm still not healed. My abdomen is much larger than what I ever imagined but the surgeon says that it will get fixed in the second surgery. I guess I just have to hold out hope that things will get better it just takes a long time

Dr. Arya

There were two PS's in the office that did these procedures and she was the specialist by far. She went back to get specialized training in the area. I think I personally didnt ask enough questions in the beginning as well as since it was a double I ran into more issues. She has been great through out seeing me in her office every week (without paying a co-pay).

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I'm sorry to hear about the amount of pain, and difficulty healing you have had. Have you discussed your reluctance towards the next surgery with your surgeon?