Dr. Pousti is great! Can't wait for my procedure! - San Diego, CA

I had a breast augmentation procedure done on...

I had a breast augmentation procedure done on October 8, 2010. My implants are Mentor 350cc silicone gel- smooth round with a moderate plus profile. They are placed under the muscle. I went from a 32B to a 32DD. The original surgeon in Minnesota did a wonderful job- they are beautiful, but just too big for me. I am 5'5" and about 120 pounds. I have scheduled my surgery to remove the implants on July 15, 2013 with Dr. Pousti in San Diego, where I currently live. I am 27 years old and have never been pregnant and have no children.

I went in for my pre-surgical appointment today, July 3, and I am so excited for the surgery date! Dr. Pousti's office team is wonderful and welcoming. They make each patient feel at home and will answer any and all questions with the utmost professionalism and knowledge. I would highly recommend them to anyone considering breast implant removal. I am so happy to have found a surgeon that I trust and that I'm comfortable with, and I owe it to Real Self. All of the reviews by you wonderful ladies made my decision easy.

I made the choice to remove my implants because, although I truly loved them for almost 3 years, they didn't fit my lifestyle or outlook anymore, and I wanted to revert to a more natural look. I am a stomach sleeper and have always been bothered by not being able to lie flat. I have also been very active and found the extra weight and volume to be inconvenient and sort-of in the way. I know that the decision to explant without replacement is not favored by the plastic surgery community, and so I was even more relieved to find that Dr. Pousti was understanding and has had experience with performing this surgery many times.

I will post photos before my breast augmentation in 2010, before my explant coming up, and after the procedure.

I know that people make these personal choices for a variety of reasons, and I was lucky enough to not be forced to make this decision because of a medical issue stemming from my implants. My procedure will be very straightforward. I will be given general anesthesia to sedate me, my original incision sites under the breast will be used, and I may or may not have drains placed for fluid removal, depending on how my body reacts. My recovery time should be about one day. After that, I will need to take it easy with physical upper body exercise for several weeks. The doctor's office provides a compression bra to wear immediately afterwards, and I will be taking a pain pill (probably only needed for one day) along with nausea medication. I will need to sleep in an upright position for 3-4 days as well.

I've been told that the recovery period for breast implant removal is much quicker than the initial breast augmentation. From what I understand, there is much less pain involved.

During my consultation, I asked a number of questions which I think you all might find helpful. I was wondering about capsules and their removal. It turns out that the capsules that develop around the implants are basically made of each person's own scar tissue. So basically it is a somewhat hardened shell that, if left in place and collapsed after surgery, could not harm the body since it is actually composed of your own tissue. However, fluid buildup is possible in that space, which would need to be aspirated if drains are not placed and fluid does build up. I also asked about how to tell about the quality of the skin's elasticity and how well it will tighten up after. That is determined on a case by case basis and depends on a number of factors, so you really need to see a surgeon to get a professional opinion.

Although a lot of women probably wouldn't make the same decision I am making, I am prepared for what they will probably look like afterward. I have seen many before and after shots of implant removal, and I am expecting the worst but hoping for the best. My areolas enlarged with the original BA surgery, so I am hoping they will shrink a bit when the implants are taken out. Also, my left side implant has bottomed out slightly, so my crease on that side is a little lower. If my breasts return to a similar state to how they originally were, I will be happy. I miss my smaller breasts. So excited to have them back soon!!

Back to natural in 9 days!

I have been reading more reviews, and from what I gather, the recovery time is more like 3-5 days until the pain subsides, you can shower, and drains (if placed) are removed. So I am setting aside at least a week for recovery time.

I should mention the other reasons I am choosing removal. Aside from being uncomfortable when I sleep and the implants getting in the way while exercising, I will touch on the issue that seems to be a big topic of conversation here- self confidence. When I went in for my BA, I was in denial about why I was getting them. I truly felt that I just wanted a physical "enhancement" and that for me, it wasn't about self confidence. I am so relieved to find myself in the position I'm in today, which is looking back and seeing that I wasn't unhappy with my body before, but yes, I was lacking in self confidence. Today I see that it has changed. I am more confident and don't need the perceived "enhancement" anymore to feel good about myself. I hope other women will see themselves for who they truly are- beautiful inside and out, with or (preferably) without any artificial enhancements.

There is a wonderful website I came across, and it shows women of all ages, races, and locations with natural breasts. The idea is to give young people growing up the perspective to see what women are born with and what natural breasts look like (basically the reverse of what popular media does to sexualize and perfect the female body). It also tells how each woman feels about her own breasts, so a common trend can be observed- the women rarely say that they feel their own breasts are perfect, but some point out how they have grown to love themselves despite their imperfections: http://www.007b.com/breast_gallery.php

I am so inspired by all the strong women who have taken steps to return to their natural, God-given state. I am of the mindset that if women can embrace their bodies and not give in to media pressure to try to live up to the idealized female form, there will be a lot more character and individuality in the world. Why would everyone want to be the same? The world will be a much more interesting and beautiful place with a variety rather than a Stepford standard.
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Pousti is absolutely the best! He is so thorough and knowledgable. I wouldn't trust anyone else to perform the procedure. His team is warm, helpful, and so professional. I am thankful that I found this office.

Hey girl! Hope all is well and that your enjoying freedom :) I'm sure it's still a bit of a roller coaster even after removal, so I hope your just resting easy and taking care of yourself. xox
Hey just checking in! How did your surgery go? Well I hope! I find out my date of removal tomorrow. Please let us know how you're doing!
I cannot get over how great your befores look! You had a beautiful result with the surgery, but you definitely didn't need it! I'm anxious to see the results of your removal! I'm hoping I bounce back as well. Mine may be as soon as next week but ill have to wait and see... My ps is out of town at the moment!
You got yourself a good ps I see, your results are going to look nice I can already tell by looking at you photos.
Thank you, Little bell! I hope so. You have had such a great result, and it's inspiring. By the way, that is such a cute bra in your pic posted on June 28... where did you get it?
I think T J Max or Marshall's , I bought quite a few compression bras when I had implants they did the best job at hiding them the ones with no padding .
Sorry meant to say r u planning to get a lift with removal?
Good for you! I look forward to seeing your story here. No, I am not planning a lift.
I was wondering did you get a lift along with your removal?. I am making a consultation to have mine removed this august.

I'm excited for you! Thanks for sharing here on RealSelf.

Do you have recovery supplies ready?

Thanks for your story! I am having my implants our after only 3 months because I don't feel like they fit my body or lifestyle. I don't know what I was thinking... Anyway, I was also concerned about the capsule and asked a question about them on RS. Dr. Pousti responded and it sounds like I don't need them removed either. My PS didn't want to remove them either, said it wasn't necessary. I will most likely not have drains, so will just have to see how it goes. Scheduled for 7/19. Sounds like we are having a similar explant, however, I will be going with light IV sedation as the general is horrible on my body. My body doesn't do well with meds and I have trouble waking up and low BP, so I'm great with IV, wish I could do just straight local. Comparing your pics to others I've seen on here, I think you are going to have a great result. I look forward to following your progress!
Thank you for the nice comment and for sharing your story. Yes, it sounds like our procedures will be similar. I hope yours goes very well and that you are happy with the outcome! If nothing else, at least it will be easier for us to work out and we will feel natural again. Since you've had the implants for such a short amount of time, I'm sure you will have a great result too.
Thank you for sharing! I look forward to seeing your results. I was wondering about the capsule removal as well. Both my breasts have grade 3 capsular contracture. My PS said capsulectomy not necessary but he will place drains. I am scheduled for July 30th!
Hi Hlp1015, yes, the capsule removal question seems to be common for this, and from what I gather, it depends on the situation in deciding whether or not the PS decides to perform it (if there is patient concern for silicone "bleeding" into the capsule after 8+ years with implants or for other reasons). Good luck with your surgery! I will look for your updates afterwards as well.
I am scared of "silicone bleeding" since I had a previous rupture. i have enlarged lymph nodes in my armpit that is from silicone. i have decided to discuss a partial capsulectomy with my PS just to cover my bases!
I'm so sorry you have to deal with health issues in addition to the removal. I will be praying for you. I'm sure it will feel so much better once you are implant-free.
Can I ask how much your removal is costing?
Hi Mandmsmommy, my removal will be $3,000 (including the $100 consultation fee which is applied toward the surgery). From what I understand, price is determined on a case-by-case basis, and the range is typically $3,000-4,500. I am not opting for a lift and will be using the original incision site. I hope that helps!
Thank you And best of luck!
So your surgery is right around the corner and I think you have a wonderful positive attitude about the whole situation. You are going into this fully informed and being so young and the fact you've had the implants for a short time I would tend to think that the outcome will be back to your old self. Best of luck with your procedure and healing.
Thank you, deborahvs! I appreciate the support. I'm sorry to read about the health issues you've experienced due to implant complications, and I hope that they are resolved quickly with the explant procedure. Stay strong and know that this community is behind you 100%!
That is sweet, thanks!