My Nightmare Experience - Fainted During Surgery ended up in ER - San Diego, CA

It was my X-mas & 36th B-day present - slim...

I didn't feel a thing and felt pretty comfortable laughing and joking the first hour of operation, but then started to feel lightheaded and told doctor about it. Last thing i remember before i lost consciousness was the nurse saying that I'm losing blood pressure. When i awoke a few minutes later, doc told me that i had convulsions and asked if i had seizures in the past. I told him that i have never had seizures in my life and i lost consciousness a second time. Next time i woke up, doctor told me that he called ER, but i couldn't talk back, i was confused and only could speak ve-e-ry slo-o-owly.

In the hospital ER Doctor said that because of possibility of seizure she HAS TO notify DMV. It's been 6 month now since Feb. and i still cannot get my driving licence back even after i went through ECG, MRI, CAT-scan and other tests and have my doctor's medical report which states that i didn't have a seizure or any other serious medical condition.

I am asking: why the fully certified MD didn't know what to do in case like mine? I've got NO shots or any other help during that mess except nurse asked me would i like a glass of water between my blackouts. I found that some people suffer a drop in blood pressure when they see a needle and sometimes a simple saline injection can solve the problem.

Now if i will ever decide to do it again:

3) prefer a hospital setting instead of an office.

Good luck everyone! Hopefully my letter helps.

PS> The doctor did refund my money, minus the anesthesia costs ($250)

Kevin B. Calhoun, MD

It was my X-mas & 36th B-day present - slim lipo on my abs, bra, flanks, love handles and arms. I did my best homework for searching the right MD by reading reviews, diplomas, certificates etc. I found that the local anesthesia is safer than the general one, although I've done lipo under general anesth. twice before with no problem. I didn't feel a thing and felt pretty comfortable laughing and joking the first hour of operation, but then started to feel lightheaded and told doctor about it. Last thing i remember before i lost consciousness was the nurse saying that I'm losing blood pressure. When i awoke a few minutes later, doc told me that i had convulsions and asked if i had seizures in the past. He asked me to sign screen on his iPhone, I still wonder why. Anyway, I couldn't do it. I told him that i have never had seizures in my life. In that moment my cell rang, it was the next room nurse asking me my husband's phone number, which surprisingly I couldn't remember. I told her that I am in next room under surgery and I did provide her with my husband's phone in the papers,... then i lost consciousness a second time. Next time i woke up, doctor told me that he called ER ( I am very grateful for that), but i couldn't talk back, i was confused and only could speak ve-e-ry slo-o-owly. In the hospital ER Doctor said that because of possibility of seizure she HAS TO notify DMV. It's been 6 month now since Feb. and i still cannot get my driving license back even after i went through ECG, MRI, CAT-scan and other tests and have my doctor's medical report which states that i didn't have a seizure or any other serious medical condition in that day or ever before. I left the procedure with pinch holes and full of liquid in my abs, since all they had done during that hour was fill me with a tumescent liquid. I am still grateful that i didn't have a stroke or worse! Now if i will ever decide to do it again: 1) I'll make sure there is professional anesthesiologist next to me, doesn't matter what type of anesthesia; 2) make sure the doctor knows what to do in case of a sudden drop in blood pressure; and, 3) prefer a hospital setting instead of an office. PS> The doctor did refund my money, minus the anesthesia costs ($250)