Compassionate Consummate Professional with an Amazing Eye for Detail - Salt Lake City, UT

In November, 2011 I was diagnosed with a BRCA1...

In November, 2011 I was diagnosed with a BRCA1 gene mutation which placed me at an extremely high lifetime risk for breast cancer. After weighing my options I opted for a risk-reducing mastectomy with reconstruction.

While researching the various reconstruction methods I came across BRAVA microfat grafting. Concerned about the aesthetics of implants with no tissue to soften the appearance, and knowing I was an unlikely candidate for a FLAP option, I decided to pursue the idea of fat grafting as my sole method of reconstruction. Further investigation gave me the name of Dr. Ferguson. When meeting with Dr. Ferguson I was immediately at ease and impressed with his explanation of the various options for reconstruction based on my petite body size. He determined that I was a good candidate for the BRAVA microfat grafting with hopes that I had enough viable fat to fill the area where the breast tissue would be removed.

I proceeded with the skin and nipple sparing mastectomy with immediate intrapectoral fat grafting and had an additional 2 fat grafting surgeries, at which point I basically ran out fat. The grafted fat only filled to approximately a small "B" cup with excess skin. After MUCH internal deliberation, Dr. Ferguson and I agreed to have small implants placed to finish the reconstruction.

Aesthetically, I could not be happier with my results. Fat grafting helped with the cosmetic appearance, e.g., no rippling, mimics the slope of a natural breast, etc. Fat grafting is also known to reduce scarring and may even reduce the risk of capsular contracture. Further, the fat that was grafted did restore some sensation in my nipples and breasts. Had I known that I didn't have enough fat for full reconstruction, I may have opted for the one-step implant reconstruction which I believe would not have garnered such impressive results.

I would highly recommend Dr. Ferguson for microfat grafting, implant placement, or a hybrid of the two for the purposes of breast reconstruction.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

My extensive research into microfat grafting as a breast reconstruction method led me to Dr. Ferguson.

Ur results look great. How many cc's are your implants and how many cc's of fat did you have injected.
Oh wow, I might look him up. I just went through breast cancer and need some revisional!
I am currently a patient of Dr. Ferguson's and cannot agree with you more! Dr. Ferguson listens carefully, explains in detail, and I am extremely pleased with my reconstruction results so far. Dr. Ferguson is a "man of details" and that shows in his bedside manner and in his reconstructive results. I also looked into BRAVA with Dr. Ferguson and that is why I first went to him. After much discussion, it seemed that I wouldn't have enough body fat to reconstruct my breasts to the desired size, so I opted for implants. I am currently visiting routinely for expander "fills" until the implants are placed. I am so glad that I found Dr. Ferguson to perform my surgeries, reconstruct my breasts and help me through this reconstructive journey. I would highly recommend him to others. Dr. Ferguson's staff is also exceptional. Travis, his PA, is professional and knowledgable. His nurse, Ann, is always positive and great! All around, Dr. Ferguson is a wonderful provider!

Congratulations on getting throught a difficult journey. I love your unique story. I'm glad you are well now and looking so perfect! Would you suggest the combination of fat grafting and implants to other women?