Liposuction - Thighs - Saint Louis, MO

Liposuction-Thighs

If I had to do over again or if I had been informed by the doctor at the time of what all the possible outcomes would be concerning the aesthetic results of my legs including very loose skin, I would not have had the surgery. I asked about the loose skin issue and was told that the ultra sonic liposuction which I paid more for would help prevent the skin from sagging. WRONG. First, I experienced serious post-surgery complications which are present to date and that was urine retention in which I had to be catheterized. After months of healing, wearing recommended compression garment my legs were not what I expected them to look like. I was not seriously overweight and in excellent health before the surgery, I just wanted more sculpted thighs and calves. What I got in return was a distorted smaller legs with excessive loose skin and serious folds around my knees totally worsening the look of my thighs. I wanted to be able to wear shorts and bikini without feeling self-conscious about my thighs, which in retrospect were not that big, however after months of healing the results of the surgery left wanting to cover-up even more and self-conscious of my thighs. I was 40 years old at the time not too old not too young but my thighs look like that of an 80 year old woman along with my knee folds. Six years later, I decided to get a thigh-lift after my consultation with the same surgeon to correct the excessive baggy thigh and knee look. I was not told that the thigh-lift would only lift the upper thighs and not the lower thigh and knees; hence I still was not satisfied with my legs yet. My advice to all you considering this procedure, choose a rigorous exercise program instead that targets these areas. I now have smaller thighs but my legs look much older and my knees are even worse (there is no knee lift procedure to correct the problem.) The amount of money, pain, time, emotional energy/disappointment has not been worth it. Remember, these cosmetic surgeons are in this for economic reasons and have no economic incentive to divulge everything that can and they know can go wrong with procedures like the ones I had done and the final results. Had I been told about the excessive skin sags and that the thigh lift would only improve my upper thigh, I would not have had the procedures done. I tried to get more info on these procedures but at the time the Internet and all its wealth of information was in its infancy with forums like this one. I am sorry I put myself through this mess and sorrier that the doctor was not forthcoming with me concerning everything that could go wrong, especially how it relates to saggy skin. I am still self-conscious about my thighs only for different reasons; though I will say my upper thighs look somewhat better but still have waves or unevenness associated with the liposuction done over 12 years ago.

Saggy knees 13 years after lipo

I am posting a picture of the serious folds in my knees to date after liposuction about 13 years ago. The folds are not any worse or better because I exfoliate and moisturize them frequently trying to smooth them out to no avail. The knees were in good condition without folds before the surgery. The thighs I will not show... you can guess by looking at the knees what the thighs looked like. The sagging looks especially acute in sunlight. Terrible and horrible outcome like that of a horror flick.

Shar-pei Knees

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Abandoned patient

I agree! My result was awful and it has been 8 months and my thighs look deformed!. I also have trouble with the gracilis muscle in the inner thighs being tight and had to go to PT to help. The fat will go elsewhere after surgery. I have a larger waist now and never had that problem before... had an hourglass waist before.... truly consider losing weight, yoga and exercise before any of you let someone deform you.... My inner thighs are the worst for me as my "board certified plastic surgeon" was overly aggressive in my case. Wish I had never done this!
Yes, the gracilis muscle is also my problem and the problem does not go away with time. I believe the cosmetic surgeons know this is a big problem and purposely do not disclose this fact when discussing liposuction on the thighs. So, unless a person considering the surgery knows to ask then that person takes a chance on being their next victim of thigh lipo disappointment. Hope this thread gives some guidance and warning to those considering the surgery. Thanks for sharing.

Hi there, welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I'm sorry you didn't get the results you were looking for from your procedure! Are you considering having another surgery, like a Thigh lift, or are you keeping your results as they are?

Please re-read my post. A subsequent thigh-lift was done with little improvement only on the upper thighs. There is nothing that can be done about the lower half of the thighs.

Oh sorry, I read right through that part! I'm sorry there's nothing else that can be done for the lower thighs, that's disappointing. My friend had Liposuction of the thighs and she also did not get great results, in fact there was really no change for her at all.

Disappointing isn't the word for it, try traumatizing emotional disgust with the results. I would like my money back for results not delivered. I did not get what I bargained for and that's WRONG!!! There needs to be more consumer protections with these services. I told my story to help others make informed and comprehensive decisions concerning procedures like the ones I had done and I hope it does and anyone who has experienced the same poor, undesirable, and unfavorable results, you have my condolences

I'm sure your review will help lots of others, while they're making their decisions on having this procedure or not. I can understand why it has been so traumatizing for you, but thank you for sharing!

Hi Kirsty, Don't you think it would be great to put a page up under the liposuction section about some of this stuff? Like how some procedures typically have bad outcomes and what all the bad outcomes are? And statistical information about that? Maybe photos or diagrams? It would be great to offer people the pros and cons rather than just promote it, so that people can make real informed choices. Because doctor's won't give out that information. I haven't seen one that does. RealSelf could help a lot of people that way.

Sundog, I will PM you with my response as it's not appropriate to take over someone elses review with something off-topic like this. Thanks.